SkyChimp

U.S. prepares to bomb Iran

I guess Obama doesn't want to go down in history as the the sitting president when Iran became nuclear. That wouldn't look good for the first African American president to allow such a regime to acquire nukes while on his watch. Therefore, lets speed up the MOP production ASAP.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,565400,00.html

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

I don't think he can afford not to do it. There is a reason the Pentagon is pushing for an immediate acceleration of the MOP production.

I cannot believe how narrow minded and stupid some people can be, there is such thing as diplomacy, respect and peace.

People with war monger attitudes such as this are the reason a country like Iran would need to have a reason to arm themselves with such weapons. They (Iran) are the ones with the resource you (USA) want and they would like to sell it to you. Why would they want to lose thier best customer?

only if that customer wishes to steal those goods!

A few rebellious rogue ‘gangs’ make terrorists attacks against you, seemingly justified by the complete lack of compassion on the behalf of the US people the US military has had over the last number of decades. Families broken, killed, maimed, disabled, tortured, you name it it's been done by the USA in the name of Oil, Burning, poisoning, raping...

So these rouges decided to get some back, along with others with no cause whatsoever but to disrupt society then you go and blame countries that are not responsible, attack them, seize their recourses and then go about your business?!?!?

The USA is not the knight in shining armour it has made itself out to be, it has disrupted the worlds progress and has hindered peace and diplomacy through either complete naive mistakes or well crafted conspiracies.

The USA is also not the only country responsible for this type of behaviour, once again it is the human impulse of being greater than one another, that is to blame.

With all the bombing, shooting, killing, maiming and pillaging that you and your attitude have donein history who could blame them from wanting to protect themselves.

Either you disarm yourself, or let them be armed also. That is the only resolution.

The USA has proved it is not responsible enough to hold absolute power, so the world has now lost its trust in her. This has been happening for decades and the country has been told many times but they simply will not listen.

It is so simple, yet you are all so confused?

You may consider Iran a threat, as they hold you by the balls with all the oil they have, but they see you as a consumer of what they have.

The US government would have to be idiots to bomb Iran at this stage, it is totally against the very principals the Obama administration has been promoting and it would lose them the trust of those that voted for them.

Iran would have to be stupid to bomb the UDA as they 'would' lose thier best customer.

Pull you head in and have some respect for fucks sake, you seriously need a kick in the head if you think bombing Iran is a positive thing and should be educated on the pain and suffering your type of thinking is responsible for.

You should be ashamed of yourself, and anyone else with the same line of thinking needs a ‘teach’n’ too.

>:(
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

sir
you are full of bull

we do not rape or pillage

killing on the other hand we do well

Our armor mav not be a shiney as when we saved you from the Japs
or the French from the germans

Oooh never mind
waste of breath

US military rocks
US elected officals suck

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

sir
you are full of bull

We do not rape or pillage

killing on the other hand we do well

:D

What a laugh, are you implying that natural recourses and the US control over them has never had anything to do with a war that has been invoked by the US military?

And are you also claiming that US military penises have never sodomised the orifices of the unwilling?

You are in a dream world buddy!:D:D:D

Our armor mav not be a shiney as when we saved you from the Japs
or the French from the germans

Oooh never mind
waste of breath

This is a long story I cannot bare to enter right now but there is a lot of history between World War 2 and the present.

Normal everyday USA has not had the pleasure of a full scale invasion, yet. But it sure seems it wishes only for that to happen?

US military rocks
US elected officals suck

:| Yeah nice quote buddy!:D:D:D maybe you could make a million selling bumper stickers to right wing selfish cunts.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Theodore Roosevelt in April 1903 said; "Speak softly and carry and big stick."

Currently our biggest sticks are just a little too big when it comes to dealing with certain situations. There's no way in hell the US is going to start a nuclear war in order to ensure Iran doesn't get nuclear capabilities. However, the sticks just one level down aren't capable of destroying hardened targets buried a couple hundred feet below the surface.

MOP makes a hell of a lot of sense. Not because it will be used, but because it represents a viable alternative to a nuke. Iran, knowing the weapon exists, can either come back to the diplomatic negotiations table or face the very real threat of billions of dollars of their work being blown up.

That's not to say we're about to drop it, but it remains an option and one they now know about.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Absolutey, but America won't hesitate to smack Iran over the hand with that big stick if the nuke facilities are still operating.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Although you are entitled to your opinion Rhys, I think your path of thinking is significatly misguided. Obama is supporting the MOP production and will have to use it if he must. I understand that you are an Obama supporter, but what will you say about him if he must use the MOP on Iran? You see, your filtered thinking took my thread title literally rather than the foreshadowing implied because of your obsession to "Think Green" (that was metophoric by the way).

I just wish that the people who can balls up behind a computer on their view point would have the same nuts to go to Iran and put a flower in the barrel of an Iranian gun.

Absolutey, but America won't hesitate to smack Iran over the hand with that big stick if the nuke facilities are still operating.

no they won't...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

no they won't...

Hey dreamer.... I hope they don't, but yes they will

There's no way in hell the US is going to start a nuclear war in order to ensure Iran doesn't get nuclear capabilities.

I fully believe that Israel will, though.

However, the sticks just one level down aren't capable of destroying hardened targets buried a couple hundred feet below the surface.

Yet and that we know about. I have faith in our engineers.;)

Once its made public or even non-public but known to our "friends" around the world, then things will be further armored, hidden, hardened and put deeper. And the cycle continues, just as it has continued for thousands of years.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There's no way in hell the US is going to start a nuclear war in order to ensure Iran doesn't get nuclear capabilities.

I fully believe that Israel will, though.

The question is then, will the United States support Israel if they do strike???

Using the MOP would be a much better alternative than a full scale invasion, and we are already involved in two wars. However, who's to say Iran won't lash out and send a barrage of missiles to Israel in retaliation?

Tread carefully.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Obama is supporting the MOP production and will have to use it if he must. I understand that you are an Obama supporter, but what will you say about him if he must use the MOP on Iran?

And under what circumstances must he use it?

I'm trying to understand why Obama must attack another sovereign nation. What would force him to do that?

If you want to know how Obama will handle the situation, just go back a couple of months to the Iranian election and then the brutal crack down of the Iranian people after the corrupt results were released.

Believe it or not, we do have enough published history with Obama and the people he surrounds himself with to guess what he will do.

For those that haven't been paying attention, he will talk tough, but Iran will have nukes and we will just wag a finger at them.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I don't think he can afford not to do it. There is a reason the Pentagon is pushing for an immediate acceleration of the MOP production.

[Akarunway] cited an ABC News story from last week. ABC News also provided the DD1415s, aka updated ‘R-forms’, submitted to Congress, i.e., the primary data.

My analysis has not changed over the last 7 days: Could the MOP program be resurrected/revitalized/increased as a means to challenge Iran? Sure. But I think the vector is in the wrong direction. Imo, it's more likely that Iran's nuclear program is being used post-hoc as justification to increase budgets for a program that has had major contracting, technical, and political problems. (That doesn't mean I do or don't think MOP is a useful capability; I'm just acknowledging & recognizing the problems.)

R&D programs fall under acquisitions in the DoD. When an agency, like Air Force Research Laboratory in the case of the MOP, wants to move more than $10M in an RDT&E (research, development, testing, & engineering) program, which the MOP is, the DoD must ask permission from Congress.

If you look at the linked reprogramming docs from the ABC News story, $430,975,000 was already in the budget, i.e., approved for 2009 in PL 110-417, The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 in October 2008. The reprogramming is $68,410,000 (16%), which is very close to what DTRA axed out of their budget plus some to make-up for extra cost for Boeing's cost-overruns.

This line from the Fox News story is innacurate: "The Pentagon repeatedly noted the 'urgent' need for the bomb in its 2009 omnibus request sent to four relevant congressional committees in July." The reprogramming docs are not the Omnibus bill. The 2009 Omnibus bill didn't include DoD, Homeland Security, Veterans Affairs, and some of the intelligence community budgets anyway. DoD budget was done in October. The Omnibus bill was sent out of Congress in February 2009.

Does that all make sense, regardless of whether you believe it? I don't know how familiar (or not) you are with DoD acquisitions process or the federal budget process.

The minutia of acquisitions and budgetary process is probably less sexy, tho. :P:D

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Using the MOP would be a much better alternative than a full scale invasion, and we are already involved in two wars. However, who's to say Iran won't lash out and send a barrage of missiles to Israel in retaliation?

Tread carefully.

Concur on the tread carefully ... not sure I concur on which scenario of the two is 'better' ... because the former is likely to lead to the latter or to full out war with Israel.

Use of US ordnance of any kind against Iran would be an act of war. Iran almost certainly would retaliate againt Israel with conventional munitions (missiles) and possibly unconventional munitions (mostly chemical agents, imo). Israel will not be contained by US pressure in such a scenario.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

You may consider Iran a threat, as they hold you by the balls with all the oil they have, but they see you as a consumer of what they have.

Iran would have to be stupid to bomb the UDA as they 'would' lose thier best customer.

What percentage of US crude oil imports do you think come from Iran?

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying