Dumpster

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

I was surprised.

I thought it was a joke when I heard the NPT announcement early this morning ... the next thought that went through my head was "the Norwegians have jumped the shark." Poor strategic choice, imo. Further contributes to the perception -- whether real or largely a creation of those who want to knock him -- of a metaphoric pedestal from which he can fall ... or be pushed.

Domestically, I suspect the impact will be marginal or slightly negative. It will provide further fodder for criticism by some.

Internationally, it's less clear, imo. It's not unprecedented for the Nobel Peace Prize to be given to those who are pursuing its goals and who are in the position to do so. W/r/t the choice of Pres Obama, 'road to zero' (pushed forward by Kissinger, Schultz, Nunn, & Perry) is the one I suspect was recognized.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Can anyone actually defend this complete load of horse shit?

It's their million bucks, they can spend it how they want.

Where did all the libertarians go?
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

When they give out a war prize you'll see our right wing leaders showing up in the win column. Heck, they might even give Cheney a lifetime achievement award.:P

True. Guys like Kissinger will be at the head of the line. Yeah. Good luck ever getting a Peace Prize, Henry!!!

Imagine that ever happening? ;)

(I'm pretty confident you were being facetious tho'.)

Is the Peace Prize Committee nothing more than a circle jerk?

Or is it just illustration of how far afield US domestic politics are?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

You know, the deadline to submit his nomination was January 31. He'd been POTUS for less than two weeks.

Note: this is NOT a knock on the President. This is a knock on the Peace Prize committee.

Personally, I'd think it a sign of greatness if Obama said, "I can't accept this. Give me a few years." And who would dare criticize him for that?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I can't say I agree with their decision, but it's their decision, not mine. We as a nation are still fighting two foreign wars - why would our leader get a peace prize?

As far as the comment about not doing anything significant overseas, I think that's incorrect.

1. The President and Congress passed a huge economic recovery act. Most of that money went to investors overseas that would have lost their shirts for believing in the US Dollar. That's a major accomplishment for those foreign people - not so much for the American taxpayer :S

2. He did actually get troops out of Baghdad (and all other major Iraqi cities). We have yet to get all troops out of Iraq, but this was a major accomplishment, IMO.

And finally, although the Nobel Prize is a significant award, it is rife with controversy, including Hitler's offense at not being awarded the peace prize :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_controversies

Edit - and yeah, I agree with lawrocket - if I was Obama, I would be embarrassed a bit, refuse the prize and then apologize the rest of my life for doing so.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

It's their million bucks, they can spend it how they want.

Where did all the libertarians go?

Are Libertarians also not allowed to comment on the Oscars?

Hey, it's their Oscar, they can give it to Yor, Hunter from the Future if they want, right?

Give me a break.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I like Obama, but to award this to a president less than nine months into his first term, who has yet to score a major foreign policy success, seems very odd.

from the article:
"The deadline for nominations for the peace prize was February 1, so someone nominated the President of America for his achievements 11 days into his presidency.

So does the prize come with a box of cracker jacks, or in one?
--
Rob

First time somebody won only on what he says he will do, not what he did.

It's not unprecedented. E.g., Willy Brandt in 1971 for "Initiator of West Germany's "Ostpolitik", embodying a new attitude towards Eastern Europe and East Germany."

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Here is the list of people who have won this prize since 1980. I'm seeing a lot of far left wing liberals and muslims........

Hm. How many morons and bigots?

he already said "FAR left wing liberals"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Barack Obama, 2009 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, was nominated for the award after being in office for 11 days. Days before winning the prize, Obama cancelled a meeting with fellow Nobel laureate the 14th Dalai Lama, opting to meet Chinese President Hu Jintao first.

I think at the next Olympics we should hand out all the gold medals to those who just really wanted to win the most, that way none of them will actually have to compete for it.

Who needs accomplishments when you have hope?
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Is the Peace Prize Committee nothing more than a circle jerk?

Or is it just illustration of how far afield US domestic politics are?

/Marg

Probably both. Domestically, we have moved past the crush stage to "What have you done for me lately?"

As John Stewart commented about everything Obama has on his plate, "Time to fucking chow down, brother!" That's the domestic view.

Worldwide hasn't seen that yet.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

No, and I am Norwegian, and very very embarrassed on behalf of my country right now.

It is Georgie boys fault, and now they want to give back for no oil contract in Iraq for Statoil (Stateoil) Obama gives hope for more industrial work in europe, and he is paid off well.

I am trying to find the whole speech for the reason in English, but can not find. If you post the speech then you have something to argue about, and its the reasons why they gave it to him. It is like using condom on a HIV prostitute. You know you should´t do it, but...........

What a f..... world we are living in?

It is Georgie boys fault,

thank goodness we got that out of the way, finally

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Anyone can be nominated. Several thousand invitations to nominate go out -- it's hard NOT to believe that some lame-o's get nominated.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is Georgie boys fault,

thank goodness we got that out of the way, finally

;)

Hitler was fighting the communism, so no wonder why he was nominated, and just imagine if the states got involved in the war to early, we all would have spoken Russian know in europe. It is ok to joke about.

We are also very surprised in Norway, no doubt about it.

Is the prize still $1M (and that medal thingy)?

if so - would we rather BHO got $1M from Scandinavians and took it home and spent it here

or

ACORN get $1M from the taxpayers and pisses on it

I look at this as at least some money coming into the country rather than out, or exploited within

I held the door for someone yesterday, and I'm thinking about hosting a barbecue next week. Can I have my prize, too?

Texas or Carolina barbecue?

"Can't we all just get along?".
You gotta keep the peace or your Noble Prize may vaporize!

Don't forget about Memphis style.
Hmmm......now here's an idea for world peace!

A BBQ boogie with all types of cooking there.
Texas, Carolina and Memphis styles.

Brisket, Pork and Beef Ribs, Pulled Pork and of course Road Kill.

Everyone attending will be given a Noble Prize.*
*Must be present to win.

Don't go away mad....just go away!