Dumpster

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Didn't realize they gave those out for simply not being Bush.

Snap ;)

Sky's foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall said: "There will be people who will say this is a marvellous, inspired, award.

"But next year let's give it to Miss World. Every year Miss World comes on and says I want world peace and the world free of nuclear weapons. It's a hope, an aspiration.

"This is a Nobel Peace Prize for not being George Bush. And I think it has been devalued."

Here is the list of people who have won this prize since 1980. I'm seeing a lot of far left wing liberals and muslims........

Winners of the Nobel Peace Prize since 1980:

———

— 2009: U.S. President Barack Obama

— 2008: Martti Ahtisaari

— 2007: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore

— 2006: Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank

— 2005: International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei

— 2004: Wangari Maathai

— 2003: Shirin Ebadi

— 2002: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter

— 2001: United Nations, Kofi Annan

— 2000: Kim Dae-jung

— 1999: Medecins Sans Frontieres

— 1998: John Hume, David Trimble

— 1997: International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Jody Williams

— 1996: Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, Jose Ramos-Horta

— 1995: Joseph Rotblat, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs

— 1994: Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin

— 1993: Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk

— 1992: Rigoberta Menchu Tum

— 1991: Aung San Suu Kyi

— 1990: Mikhail Gorbachev

— 1989: The 14th Dalai Lama

— 1988: U.N. Peacekeeping Forces

— 1987: Oscar Arias Sanchez

— 1986: Elie Wiesel

— 1985: International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War

— 1984: Desmond Tutu

— 1983: Lech Walesa

— 1982: Alva Myrdal, Alfonso Garcia Robles

— 1981: Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees

— 1980: Adolfo Perez Esquivel

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Here is the list of people who have won this prize since 1980. I'm seeing a lot of far left wing liberals and muslims......

Yes, but to this point they've been liberals who've actually done something.

I'm no fan of Jimmy Carter, for example, but he's clearly put a lot of work into promoting peace, and has achieved some successes.

At this point, Obama has achieved...the escalation of the war in Afghanistan. Now there's a major achievement for peace in the world.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Fair enough. I've got a long list of people who deserve it equally as much as Obama: me, you, Clint Eastwood, whoever came up with the design for these New Balance shoes I'm wearing, Chicken McNuggets, etc.

I mean, what's the criteria for winning the Nobel Peace Prize nowadays?
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

I mean, what's the criteria for winning the Nobel Peace Prize nowadays?

Talking well and smiling pretty. The prize committee acknowledged that he hadn't done much, but basically said they gave him the award for attitude and potential, and to try to help him achieve his goals.

I feel like I'm in surreal-land.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I nominate Ron Jeremy. For decades he has given hope to all fat, hairy apes that they can expecte regular threesomes with hotties.

I would also like to encourage the following to be awarded the Peace Prize:

Turkey, for bringing an end to conflict with Armenia;
Kim Jong-Il, for his humane efforts at bringing non-greenhouse gas generating power to North Korea;
Former President George W. Bush, for showing that nuclear weapons don't have to be used.
Santa Claus, for bringing hope to all the children of the world:
NASA, for letting us know cataclysm is way less likely than the prior unlikeliness in 2036;
Mt. Pinatubo, for preventing global warming in the 1990's.
Al Gore, because he's just so kick ass and the IPCC because they peddle such fear to the world.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

------
"So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far. He is still at an early stage. He is only beginning to act," said former Polish President Lech Walesa, a 1983 Nobel Peace laureate.

"This is probably an encouragement for him to act. Let's see if he perseveres. Let's give him time to act," Walesa said.
------

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Here is the list of people who have won this prize since 1980. I'm seeing a lot of far left wing liberals and muslims........

When they give out a war prize you'll see our right wing leaders showing up in the win column. Heck, they might even give Cheney a lifetime achievement award.:P

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," said Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee.
---

"It's an award coming near the beginning of the first term of office of a relatively young president that anticipates an even greater contribution towards making our world a safer place for all," Tutu said. "It is an award that speaks to the promise of President Obama's message of hope."
---

"In less than a year in office, he has transformed the way we look at ourselves and the world we live in and rekindled hope for a world at peace with itself," ElBaradei (IAEA) said.
--------

It's the Nobel HOPE Prize now.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

When they give out a war prize you'll see our right wing leaders showing up in the win column. Heck, they might even give Cheney a lifetime achievement award.:P

True. Guys like Kissinger will be at the head of the line. Yeah. Good luck ever getting a Peace Prize, Henry!!!

Is the Peace Prize Committee nothing more than a circle jerk?

My wife is hotter than your wife.