14,986 Falls
3,959 Drowning
but if you ADd the deaths from other medical causes its 250,000

106,00 negative effects of drugs
80,000 infections in hospitals
45,000 other hospitol errors
12,000 unnecessary surgery
7,000 medication errors in hospital

that means you are twice a prone to be killed by your doctor,hospitol or medical treatment than firearms related causes.

does this mean we should ban doctors?
no wonder the AMA pushes for firearms confiscation regulations.
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

very interesting. Where did you get the statistics? I was in a conversation the other day and the person said '120000 people die each die due to lack of health insurance" so, if this is credible, i'd like to know, so as to inform that person.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

>that means you are twice a prone to be killed by your doctor,hospitol or
>medical treatment than firearms related causes.

That's true. But guns are more likely to kill you than nuclear waste is. It would be foolish to claim that therefore nuclear waste isn't dangerous, and shouldn't be regulated.

And yet some claim that we have the best medical system in the world.

Clearly we need health-care reform NOW!

I'm inclined to think the leading cause of death is old age.

Accidents actually play a relatively minor role, which is why AD&D is so cheap.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

And you think this turd pile od so called "Health Reform" is gonna change any of that? WOW way to aim high.

I'm gonna say it is another Govt program that will go bankrupt just like everything else they touch. Medicare, Social Security, Post Office, and everything else they seem to touch goes to shit. No thanks!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I'm gonna say it is another Govt program that will go bankrupt just like everything else they touch. Medicare, Social Security, Post Office, and everything else they seem to touch goes to shit. No thanks!

and the sooner they take everything from everybody, the sooner our leaders can save us from ourselves - it's very simple really

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

a higher percentage of people die or get injured from skydiving does that mean we need to put the government in control?

if government takes over who will invent drugs? name a drug resurched test and produced in africa, venezala, iran, cuba or others? i guess if you take the profit out of medicine you don't get companies spending millions and billions to produce the things we take for granted every day that we now have to help us when we get sick. government control is not the answer, those fuck tards can't even run their own lives or the serious issues on their plate right now, why would we give them something else to screw up?

If i hit 10 people in the head with a hammer would you step up in line? isn't that what we would be doing if the government took over?

Those stats assume a lot of wrongdoing and mis-doing by all parties. If you die in the USA, chances are you will probably die in a hospital.

So it is easy to come up with HUGE numbers of people that die in hospitals.

Medical errors? I gave you aspirin, but I gave it to you 4 hours instead of 2 hours after your heart attack and you died. So did you die from a heart attack or a medical error?

I take most of those stats with a VERY slight grain of salt. In almost ANY procedure in any field in the world, you can find good and bad things. You will always find in hindsight in any area of life, something that could have been done better.

To classify all these things as 'errors' just because they happened in the medical field, is itself is a flawed analysis. If you are sick and people are trying to help you, and you die anyway, does not mean that they killed you.

We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in this country to extend people lives by a few days or weeks and then blame the medical profession for 'not saving you'.

If hospitals were really that dangerous, we would not go there - but we do anyway. It is more a part of the larger culture of the USA of 'NOT MY FAULT' when something goes wrong.

It will not change until the culture changes. The culture has been brewing for hundreds of years and is not going to change overnight.

106000 from negative effects of drugs. - What if the doctors talked to their patients about the drugs, the side effects and such, and the patient decided to take the drugs anyway, then dies from it? Is that a 'medical error'? I always ask my doctor about the side effects and my doctor ALWAYS makes sure that the decision to take a drug is actually MY decision.

80000 die from infections in hospitals. How many die from infections OUTSIDE of hospitals?

45000 from other hospital errors - define those other hospital errors

12000 unnecessary surgeries http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/532055 looks like about 20M-30M surgeries are done each year, so unnecessary surgeries are less than 0.06% - not even significant - unless of course you are one of them.

7000 medication errors in hospitals? - probably again so small it is off the scale percentage wise.

So....
120,000 Deaths due to people not being GOD
43,649 deaths due to people not being perfect and making mistakes
14,986 deaths for not being perfect
3,959 deaths for not being perfect.

Of course the rest of the can all fall under not being god or not being perfect as well (of course negative effects of drugs can also be do to taking a risk such as: this drug might kill me but I am going die soon anyways but it might save me as well)

Yet, even after all of this, in fact, because of all of the is the life expectance has gone up to a very high number!
http://daveeriqat.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/us_life_expectancy.png

Medical errors? I gave you aspirin, but I gave it to you 4 hours instead of 2 hours after your heart attack and you died. So did you die from a heart attack or a medical error?

trick question - you died from aspirin poisoning

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Could be a good start. Too bad that's not up for discussion. Just how to pay for healthcare.

I often wonder how much iatrogenic illness could be prevented by not having the ER as the primary care provider.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Good post.

I am glad that some people understand. Sometimes my own family makes me want to pull my hair out.... When I tweaked my ankle a year ago, they (my sisters/brother in law) were just looking at who I could "blame" for my injury or for needing that second surgery.

A lot of times, people look to their physician to "tell me what to do." When what they really should be getting is education and options.

LIFE has risks. Taking tylenol can burn out your liver. Taking aspirin can "thin your blood." If you go to the ER for abdominal pain and all test that are done are suspicious for "x." You were told what the possible diagnosis was and consented for surgery. So you have surgery on that "ectopic" or that "appendicitis" or .... but the findings of the surgery was that everything is normal.... is that a "medical misadventure"? Or you have that surgery on the ectopic, but a ureteral injury occurs (a risk that was on the consent that was signed)