happythoughts

Carter makes racism accusation

clicky

ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president."

I wonder why he never said anything during the campaign when
Bill Clinton made his racial attacks on Obama in N Carolina and Miss. Even Hillary thought he was out of line.

Carter was always an embarrassment, but he has become such
an obvious political tool.

I think Carter's comments are rooted in racism. I think there is a deeply held belief among many in this country, particularly squeal-like-a-pig-sooooweeeee Goergia peanut farmers who can get over their goober pea-brained racist Jim Crow inbred attitudes.

My viewpoint is as valid as Carter's, only mine is far more stereotypical.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The Southern Poverty Law Centre, one of the main groups in the US tracking hate groups, today expressed 100% support for Carter. Mark Potok, who is director of the team investigating the hate groups, said: "I think what President Carter said is precisely what is going on. I am not saying that everyone involved in opposing health care reform is a Klansman in disguise but it is the elephant in the room."

His group has noted an increase in the number of hate groups, plots and racist incidents linked to Obama since he accepted the Democratic nomination to run for president last year.

Carter's remarks came after concerns expressed by other Democrats about the treatment of Obama. The Congressman Henry Johnson said in a television interview yesterday: "I guess we'll probably have folks putting on white hoods and white uniforms again and riding through the countryside."

A potentially incendiary element was introduced to the debate this week when a video was displayed prominently on many websites across the US this week showing a 17-year-old white boy being beaten up by black teenagers on a bus in Belleville, Illinois. The video was still being prominently displayed today even though the police said they did not believe the attack was racially motivated.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/16/jimmy-carter-racism-barack-obama
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

For what it's worth, Channel 4 news in the UK this evening showed a protest which featured placards depicting Obama as both the Joker and an African witchdoctor, while others seem to have him down as both Hitler and Stalin at the same time....

Carter is among those who believe there must be large-scale racism in the US. Facts don't inhibit their views. They just haven't figured out that the vast majority of us - black, white and everything in between - are past it.

Wish B.O. and his followers would figure that out, too.

Oh yeah, and Carter's a freakin' idiot. But we all knew that.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Obama's win defintiely brought out a lot more racism in a lot of people in America. You can even find plenty of it on this site..

Yep. That's it.

Our president says a cop who arrested his friend acted stupidly. Yep, dissent was racism. Even when he backed off.

New York's governor Patterson's poll number suck. He blames it on racism.

Van Jones resigns after saying only whites commit mass school murders and that whites are polluting the ghetto and signs up on a truther petition. He, too, is the victim of racism, even though he injected race into his comments.

Rep. Rangel, under investigatiosn for illegally holding four rent-controlled apartments in NY, not disclosing $75k in rentals from another place, is off in disclosures by between $250k and $500k. And Rangel hints at racism as the reason.

Indeed. The mosre successful and powerful a black person becomes in America, the more proof of inherent racism there is. It used to be that sharecroppers living across the tracks showed racism. Now it shows racism when a member of another race is popularly elected.

Yep. That thar's racism. Not a disagreement on policy choices. Nevermind that Clinton faced the same exact opposition.

Do you think that any of the comments made by Obama's detractors are racist in nature?

Of course! Do I think even the majority are? No, I do not.

Do I think any comments about Obama's detractors are racist or bigoted? Absolutely. Do I think all of them are? Not even close.

On this I am happy with the President. It is not the president himself making these allegations. It is other people doing it. Much like the President's speech to the schoolkids. It was the curriculum that was set up not by the President, but likely by some overzealous staffers.

The fact is the race card is being played. It is intended to squelch dissent or to prevent the voices from being heard. Racism is not the overreaching factor. It plays the major role for a small group of persons. For most, the discussions merely revolve around disagreement with the policies.

When Bush wanted to quash dissent, he pulled the "Patriot Card." Anyone who disagreed with his administration's action deserved no conversation - they were unpatriotic. No need to even acknowledge them.

It wasn't right then and it is not right now.

Obama's win defintiely brought out a lot more racism in a lot of people in America. You can even find plenty of it on this site..

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Obama refutes Carter

...but falls short of calling him a jackass. So, let me pause
for a moment and assert the accuracy of that analogy. ;)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama's spokesman publicly disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter on Wednesday over Carter's contention that some conservative opposition to Obama is based on race.

"The president does not think it is based on the color of his skin," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters.

Of course, tomorrow, it is expected that Carter will call Obama's
remarks about Kanye to be racist. :ph34r:

...or maybe there is just a lot of people with different opinions
about politics, etc.

Well, not on Kanye. Everybody agrees that he's a jackass.

(This is not intended as a negative characterization of jackasses,
those tireless load-bearing transports of the American Southwest)
:)

...and the Dems line up... against Carter.

Alex Isenstadt Alex Isenstadt – Wed Sep 16, 7:07 pm ET

Jimmy Carter is 84 years old and three decades removed from the White House, but he still has the power to make Democrats run.

Away from him, that is.

From the White House to Capitol Hill on Wednesday, Democrats raced to distance themselves from the former president’s claim that racism was behind Rep. Joe Wilson’s “You lie” outburst and other attacks on President Barack Obama.

“Listen, he’s the former president, and he’s entitled to his point of view,” said Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). “I personally believe President Obama and his administration are focused on the issues, and I agree with that.”

There is quite a lengthy lineup of Dems dismissing Carter's position. Too many to quote or even list.