nerdgirl

Is this photo offensive to you?

And it has nothing to do directly with Pres Obama or Pres Bush … altho’ I have great faith in the ability of humans to find patterns and parallels where none may exist.

One of my interns queried me earlier today if I thought that Nick Ut’s Pulitzer prize winning photo of the young Vietnamese girl, Phan Thi Kim Phúc, who had been burned by napalm would be offensive? He’s putting together a talk on counterinsurgency, strategic communications, and role of technology. The audience will be adults, if that is important … altho’ I don’t imagine many kids being overly interested in that topic. One never knows, tho?

I paused for a moment. Less w/r/t/ the question of appropriateness of the use of the photo, within the context of the talk it is completely. And more that it would be a question.

My guidance to him was to use it. And if someone objected to feel free to let them know that I had approved it and to speak to me if it was an issue.

So what do you think? Would you be offended? If yes, why?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

... Nick Ut’s Pulitzer prize winning photo

It is a sad day when we must worry about offending someone with an award-winning classic photo.
That, and this photo, were the most memorable photos of the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nguyen.jpg
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I looked at the photo before reading your post and my reaction was "man, I don't wanna see that." and, then "why would she show that?"

Then....After reading your post, I wasn't offended.

So I would say it's not offensive given the proper context.

Besides, it's truth and truth shouldn't be concealed regardless of how offensive it may be.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

IF it is offensive in any way it would the context of the suffering someone, anyone would have to endure. Especially children.

It stirs some strong emotions however
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

And if you're not offended, don't look at the pictures. They're truly awful ones of dead people -- the whole guts etc. thing.

What's the point? Yeah, the truth is not offensive, but I'll bet you don't leave your shit in the toilet for the next person either.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What's the point?

The point is to show those who are offended something to be truly offended on, and leave the classic award-winning photo alone. Like lightning rod. That's exactly the reason Encyclopedia Dramatica has this page.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

What's the point?

The point is to show those who are offended something to be truly offended on, and leave the classic award-winning photo alone. Like lightning rod. That's exactly the reason Encyclopedia Dramatica has this page.

Thanks for the additional clarifying lines. I was unsure of the connection as well.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

It's not offensive, but the real question is if it is appropriate. How is this picture going to relate to the presentation?

Having been to Iraq and Afghanistan I don't think it does any one any good to shy away from the realities of war. There are some things people need to see. It's just a good idea to make sure that the pictures, conversation, and presentation all apply.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

It's not offensive, but the real question is if it is appropriate. How is this picture going to relate to the presentation?

Thanks for the reply. The use of the photo, within the context of the talk [COIN, strategic communications, & technology] is appropriate, pretty close to quintessential.

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Yes, it's offensive. It illustrates what kind of offenses mankind is capable of. And I believe that's the intent of the photograph, to demand attention and call for an awareness.
If the photo underscores a point in the presentation, by all means, use it.

It's not the picture that's offensive but the circumstances that brought it about. It's offensive when war is waged without a thought as to the "rightness" of it. The Powill Doctrine is still relavent despite what Rumsfeld said. In fact I find Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and their whole gang very offensive.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Yes and no.

Yes, it is unpleasant and painful to look at. But I would not consider it as an attack or aggressive.

It's not personally offensive, rather offensive on a view of humanity.

If the picture is appropriate for the speech, use it. It is a powerful picture. But I would emphasize that it should be respectfully used. Those are children in anguish. It might be "art" and have won awards... but those are images of true and living young children.

Thanks for the reply. The use of the photo, within the context of the talk [COIN, strategic communications, & technology] is appropriate, pretty close to quintessential.

/Marg

It's certainly apt, given the recent decision to shy away from civilian targets in Afghanistan. You can even be a military bastard and merely talk about the political price you pay if you get caught on film causing collateral damage, ignore any moral concerns. Or stick to the reality of modern war - it's messy and there's going to be a lot of innocents that get hurt by it.

Peace through Power. Unfortunately innocent people (children) will be affected. This is the end result when a smaller insurgent awakens a sleeping giant. The Iraqi/Afghanistan conflict should have been resolved in much the same way.

The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki do not like the smell of napalm in the morning.

The pussy footing around needs to end. Let the carpet bombing begin.

Get it over with.
People are crazy. Cuz there's more of 'em.

... Nick Ut’s Pulitzer prize winning photo

It is a sad day when we must worry about offending someone with an award-winning classic photo.
That, and this photo, were the most memorable photos of the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nguyen.jpg

While something of thread drift, your mentioning the Nguyen photo prompted me to think of Malcolm Browne's photo of Thích Quang Duc's self-immolation. A triptych of something ... not sure exactly what ... but something powerful.

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

While something of thread drift, your mentioning the Nguyen photo prompted me to think of Malcolm Browne's photo of Thích Quang Duc's self-immolation. A triptych of something ... not sure exactly what ... but something powerful.

/Marg

Looks like you had a URL malfunction there.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

But I would emphasize that it should be respectfully used. Those are children in anguish. It might be "art" and have won awards... but those are images of true and living young children.

Concur. And if I had any thought that he would use the photo in any way that was disrespectful, I would have recommended he choose another image.

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

So what do you think? Would you be offended? If yes, why?

And if you ARE offended, look on this.

I looked at every single photo there and I actually feel a little ill.

spend a few minutes over at /b/ or somethingawful and that will seem like a disney movie.
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

I looked at every single photo there and I actually feel a little ill.

Now look on the nerdgirl's photo and tell us how you feel about it? Does it still look offensive?

..... I wasn't offended by the photos nerdgirl posted. I wasn't even offended by the sick photos. Most of them are ho hum, shit I've seen a million times, but there are some .gif's/images that just give you that...... sick feeling.