turtlespeed

I thought it was a hoax . . .

What would be another way to address increased bullying?

Wendy P.

Corporal Punishment.

I'm for criminal prosecution. Anything physical at all and charges should be filed. Lock up little miscreants (better yet their parents if you are squeamish about locking up kids) and the message should get thru.

Seems most schools have zero tolerance policies, but my experience is that it is not enforced. Anybody that gets physical with anybody else for other than defense of a physical threat needs some time in the hooskow. Nip it in the bud.

Some adult role model has led you to believe beating people up is acceptable - good for you, but knock it off or get used to a life in lockdown.

All bullies learn it from somewhere, and adult bullies are just kids that never socially matured.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Holy crap!! How DARE they teach our kids acceptance of others! How will bigots pass on their prejudices now? I mean for fucks sake, you might actually have to TALK to your kid. About stuff that matters!
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

I mean for fucks sake, you might actually have to TALK to your kid. About stuff that matters!

I do.

She knows the difference between right and wrong.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Putting a face on a person who is being bullied (i.e. showing what he has in common with the bulliers) is likely to decrease the bullying.

Actually, putting a face on a kid who is being bullied is likely to get his ass kicked by other bullies who have just had a target identified for them.

[Reply]It's much harder to beat up on someone you can identify with in some way.

I think this helps with adults but kids are a different breed. Kids, I have found, are less likely to beat up someone if they see a nasty consequence. For example, "Joey thought he'd beat up another kid. Ask him how he enjoyed his stay in jail.".

I think idenitfying targets is horrible. Would we do the dame thing with rape victims?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'll admit I hadn't really thought of it as identifying specific targets -- just trying to get kids to see how they were alike with others, as well as different.

But the real key is probably that there isn't one method that works with all kids. Including, of course, corporal punishment.

Punishment is more short-term -- some kids will say fuck it, it's worth it, others will find ways around it. Neither is the desired end result.

But telling kids "here is who you would bully if you were a bully" is a really bad idea.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I like the following quote from South Park's episode The Death Camp of Tolerance ...

"Welcome to tolerance camp. You are here because you would not accept people's differences. Because you refuse to accept the life choices of your fellow man. Well those days are now over. Here you vill verk, every hour of every day until you submit to being tolerant of everybody. Here, intolerance... will not be tolerated." Camp Warden

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

But the real key is probably that there isn't one method that works with all kids. Including, of course, corporal punishment.

Parents and teachers that hit children almost always have been abused as children themselves. It's not a rational behaviour, it's a learned one.

As far as whether it works, why not ask any counselor that has worked with abused children and adults that were abused as children? I've talked to several, and I have yet to hear one say it works.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Parents and teachers that hit children almost always have been abused as children themselves. It's not a rational behaviour, it's a learned one.

As far as whether it works, why not ask any counselor that has worked with abused children and adults that were abused as children? I've talked to several, and I have yet to hear one say it works.

Why do you act as if spanking and abuse are the same? They are two very diff. things!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Spanking and abuse are not two different things; abuse is at the end of a continuum that spanking is a set of points on.

What's the difference between "smack" "spank" "hit" "whip" and "beat?"

I'll bet you know. And I'll bet that other people will have different definitions for exactly the same words when they're applied to correcting children.

I used to be a child abuse investigator. Plenty of the parents who were abusive didn't think they were; they were simply correcting the child in the way that they were corrected when they were children.

Our definition for abuse when applied to physical punishment was did it leave a bruise or other lasting mark -- not a very high standard [:/].

So define "spanking." Does it mean a single smack on the rear, a set of spanks with the pants on, off, hand cupped for effect, the belt/spoon/whatever, or does it involve "really teaching a lesson he won't forget soon?"

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A spanking (to me) is a single smack, butt, open hand with clothes on. I dont use belt or "wear there ass out" I rarely have to get that far, but my kids know i will if they continue with there BS. I will nicely worn (ask them to stop) my kids the first time. Then I will rase my voice a little (this one solves most problems!) After that there in a corner (this one my wife hates the most). After they get out of the corner and if they do it again then its time for them to understand I mean bussiness!

To me spanking and abuse are two very diff. things! I see no wrong in it. Anytime your at the store look aroung at the damn rugrats running around and running all over there parrents cause then can. Its sad when my kids will comment on how bad other kids are and shouldn't be acting that way;)

Its sad when my kids will comment on how bad other kids are and shouldn't be acting that way;)

No - It's not sad at all.:|

Perhaps your children should ask the "adult" in charge of the other children why they are allowed to be like they are. I bet that would make a difference.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

After that there in a corner (this one my wife hates the most).

You make your wife stand in the corner?:o:o:D

Don

Its sad when my kids will comment on how bad other kids are and shouldn't be acting that way;)

Perhaps your children should ask the "adult" in charge of the other children why they are allowed to be like they are. I bet that would make a difference.:D

I would probly go to jail when the adult smarted off to my kid:ph34r:

Oh, the HORROR.

Public schools actually teaching students on societal issues. What on earth is up with that? Teaching students to be respectful of others, in spite of their differences? That is unbelievable and horrendous. The damage to the children is incalculable.
They'll be RUINED for life if they are taught that bullying is bad, that homosexuality is part of the normal human condition, and that all people deserve a decent level of respect, even if they are different than you. That kind of education is totally against what the USA is all about.

SOMEBODY PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

We can't have the children taught that all people are equal. That is totally un-American and must be stopped IMMEDIATLY.

I would probly go to jail when the adult smarted off to my kid:ph34r:

I have and I will continue to speak up to children, and their parents, when the children are behaving badly in public.

I am SICK of the lazy fuckwits that allow their kids to act like assholes in public and pretend that it isn't happening.
All you have to do to have a kid is fuck. It takes more schooliong and demonstration of practical knowlege to get a drivers license, than it does to have a kid.

It takes a village to raise a child.
In other words, unrelated adults correcting badly behaved children, in public, is completely CORRECT.

Any time I have had a parent mouth off to me, I have alway shut them up with "If you won't teach your child to behave in public, the rest of us will have to do it for you."
The parents know that their kid was behaving badly and shut up straight away. More often, I have had parents thank me for helping them with their hard to manage kid.

If a punk-ass parent actually assaulted me, I would make sure that they went to jail and the kids went to child services for their own safety.

Disruptive children in public places, like good intentions, should be carried OUT.