Tuna-Salad

What type of handgun do you have for "home defense"

I also own a Glock 20 in 10mm. I do not consider it suitable for home defense because of the high velocity of the round (and overpenetration risk) and the recoil.

I'm probably going to switch to a 9mm handgun (two of them, actually, identlcally set up) as soon as I can get my wife enough range time for me to feel comfortable.

concerned about over-penetration and you're switching TO a 9mm? better than the 10 maybe, but still overpenetration like crazy.
--
Rob

The 9mm may penetrate more than the 10mm if we are talking about FMJ rounds.

The 9mm penetrates more than the .45cal and .40S&W when it comes to FMJ

It is due to SD and the propensity of a more SD round with less surface area / diameter tending to penetrate more efficiently

Woks like an ice pick vs. a sharpening steel.

concerned about over-penetration and you're switching TO a 9mm? better than the 10 maybe, but still overpenetration like crazy.

Yes. I realize that. As I said, my primary reason for switching to a 9 would be reduced recoil (so my wife could use it more effectively), and my primary HD weapon would remain the Benelli.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Similar setup, but mine is a S&W 4566 TSW .45 cal. Not my first choice, but it is issued, and I can practice with it for free, so I keep it on hand. Not the easiest to conceal, but for the reason above it's my carry gun.

I use the multivault. The Remington 870 has it's own secured place.

Didn't gunvault used to make one for long guns that covered the trigger and port but nothing else, with the same 4 button access? Sound like that might be an idea for you.

My 870 run on a strict diet of Polyshok rounds. I don't feed it anything else unless required for training or work.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

What ever I decide to carry that day typically becomes my HD handgun that night. Usually it's a Sig P220, Glock G30, or SW 1911, but it depends on what I'm wearing or feel like carrying. I have a few others I rotate in from time to time, but those are my 3 primaries. I never carry 9mm anymore.

I have a Taurus 24/7 pro 9mm i carry on me 24/7 wherever i go (in PA that is). and in my home i have a Springfield XD .40 with night sights and of course the good ol' 12 gauge :D
~MaVriK~
"The Greatest Accomplishment in life is actually Living it"