Tuna-Salad

What type of handgun do you have for "home defense"

I use a Glock 21 .45ACP with hydroshock rounds...

I have the same gun. Used the hydrashocks for a long time, but have now traded up (at least, I think it's up) to Winchester Ranger JHP.

It's my "nightstand" gun. I have kids, so whatever is in that role has to fit into my quickvault, or I'd have a shotgun there. It takes me about 30 seconds to get to my primary home defense weapon, which is a Benelli M4.

I also own a Glock 20 in 10mm. I do not consider it suitable for home defense because of the high velocity of the round (and overpenetration risk) and the recoil.

I'm probably going to switch to a 9mm handgun (two of them, actually, identlcally set up) as soon as I can get my wife enough range time for me to feel comfortable.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

First .. switch over to Magsafe / Cor Bon or any of a number of Pre-Fragmented ammo's ... they are designed to "fragment" upon impact causing greater impact body without the risk of "over penetration"

I've tested magsafe rounds firing into wallboard and scrap meat (bought it from a butcher because it was going bad). I was not impressed, at all, with the stopping power of the round. The impact wounds were massive, but very, very shallow (maybe 2 or 3 inches deep at best).

I wouldn't trust a pre-fragmented round in a real situation.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was waiting on you to say that you supplied most of the weapons for the movie Commando..

Everybody knows a frag grenade works much better than an sks for home defense. Self defense is no laughing matter, that's why I pack a hand grenade... accept no substitutes..

Frags hmmm i dont have those :) i also dont have claymores or C4. man i love being a range NCOIC :ph34r:

I've tested magsafe rounds firing into wallboard and scrap meat (bought it from a butcher because it was going bad). I was not impressed, at all, with the stopping power of the round. The impact wounds were massive, but very, very shallow (maybe 2 or 3 inches deep at best).

I wouldn't trust a pre-fragmented round in a real situation.

I'd rather have over penetration, than not enough. I've got a favorite hunting load that is deadly accurate. The only problem is that it will blow up on most any bone and not penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals in some cases.

I've wounded several animals, that required a finishing shot, because of that too fragile of a bullet. I hate having that happen. I'll never hunt with that bullet again. It would work fine as long as you missed the shoulder blade, but it's not always possible to place a bullet perfectly in some hunting situations. It would blow up, penetrating only a couple inchs, even on a light shoulder blade such as an antelope. Yes, there would be a massive hole on the outside, but no penetration.

The same holds true for home defense. I want a round that will penetrate to the vitals, not just blow up on a leather coat or piece of sheet rock.

I know that over-penetration could be a dangerous thing......but I want to be able to put a bad guy down, not just make them mad....

CCW---> S&W .38 "airweight" 5 round revolver w/ crimson grip. hollow point rounds

By my Bed ---> MP .45 hollow points

My baby ---> Kimber 1911 (this is for comp shooting..... sooo nice)

By the door ---> Benelli Supernova 12 gauge (3.5" chamber) pump shotgun
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

S&W MP 40 cal. loaded with 180 gr. JHP.
Crimson Trace laser grip
Trijicon Night sights
Surefire weapon light.

Wish I had a strobe flash light.:(
That is my choice for home defense. Mostly for legal reasons.
I purshased a 357 SIG barrel, shot some 125 ball and found the recall to be very nice.

My second choice is:
S&W AR-15. 5.56 cal. Loaded with Hornady FPD .223 55 gr. JHP in a 20 round mag.
Quadrail with laser and light.
EOTEC 512
Troy flip battle sights.
Again for legal reasons

My CCW is a very ugly Springer SS .45 cal. loaded with 230 gr. JHP in a Wilson 47d mag's.
This is my choice because If a cop conficates it I,m really not out of my BEST most FAVORITE hand gun and I carry a 1911 in condition 3 so...... thumb safty off during the draw. I have relatives with Glocks who are scared to carry a chambered round, yet they still carry in condition 1. So I guess they feel they have time to rack a slide. I guess they figure they will have the avability of using both hands. I don't know but thats my reason for carring a 1911 for the ambi thumb safty. John M Browning was a brilliant man!

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Hay Tuna I think a Glock 20 with Wolf or KKb 6 inch barrel and 22 lbs springs would put you in the realm you wish to be in for home defense or urban warfare.
The G29 is a fine gun but something is lost in 10mm with a short barrel. Double check your balistics and you may find a 40 cal. is just about equal to a 180 gr 10mm fired from a G29. Have you checked 10mmtalk.com

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Jesus Nam, The question was home defense not "we are being invaded"!:P

we now live in the country on a 4 acre plantation surrounded by forest
very dark very remote

home is surrounded by 250 yards cleared area
garden area ya know

my long stick shoots sub min and has nightforce scope shooting M118LR ball

come a knocking after dark..humm best to call before ya show up

yea we got dogs inside and outside 24/7

year round fresh water spring 100 yards from the home

naaah me not parinoid:o

nan does not worry if I am not at home:S
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

I recently purchased a Bersa .380. It is small enough to carry concealed easily and they make some nifty rounds for the .380 now a days.

Bought one of those for my wife. A little rough in the machining but a few hundred rounds smoothed it out pretty nice. Fun to shoot. Probably wouldn't do much but scare off an attacker, which is good enough I guess.

I keep a Beretta 92FS close. Not too heavy but has some girth to it. Very easy to take apart and clean. Several safety features I like. Very pleased with the purchase.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Something often overlooked...

For sport or points, it's fine, but shooting at bull's eyes and disc targets really don't help that much when you spend more than a couple secods sighting in so you can hit dead center on a 10 inch target. Very unrealistic and you develop many bad habits from shooting at X's and O's. Bad habits are easily made and hard to break.

If home or self protection is your reason for owning a gun, try these:

Practicing shooting at life-size torsos, aiming center mass (i.e. not an X, just aim for the center of the target or "chest") is more practical and realistic.

It should only take a second or two to unholster, sight in and fire your weapon.

Make up some speed drills for yourself, fire at different distances (1-3-7-15-25 is what I use), practice speed reloads, try shooting from the hip, etc...

I carry a 1911 in condition 3 so...... thumb safty off during the draw.

I have relatives with Glocks who are scared to carry a chambered round, yet they still carry in condition 1.

So I guess they feel they have time to rack a slide. I guess they figure they will have the avability of using both hands.

You're contradicting yourself several times, here - condition 3 is hammer down, chamber empty. Condition 1 is 'cocked and locked'.

I don't know but thats my reason for carring a 1911 for the ambi thumb safty. John M Browning was a brilliant man!

Browning didn't design the 1911 with an ambi safety.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I know what gave me more confidence in shooting was doing practical shooting competitions. If you ever get the chance....they are WAY fun- shooting from a car; can't beat that. Not to mention the experience you get.
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

I agree with nam

IMO There are different threat levels depending on living conditions. High density apt living in ghetto at one extreme to low density country living at the other.

Threat level will also be depend if there's a natural disaster, Vs a common theif.

I'm guessing Security requirements will vary depending on the threat level. Why rely on a hand gun at close range when a long gun can eliminate the threat before they ever get to the house with a hand gun.:)
Dogs, motion detector activated lights, 165' free fire zone around the house good stuff for country living.:).

One Jump Wonder

You're contradicting yourself several times, here - condition 3 is hammer down, chamber empty. Condition 1 is 'cocked and locked'<<<

Your right, got cofused there for a second, must have brain farted. Thanks for clearing that up!

Browning didn't design the 1911 with an ambi safety.<<<

I don't have a Browning High Power pistol. I have a Springfield 1911 A-1 in stainless steel and I'm sure it has an ambi safety. JMB did design the original 1911 Colt, again I'm sure, but different manufactures added to his design later on. Its almost a 100 yr old design. Just wanted to clear that up for you.

You're contradicting yourself several times, here - condition 3 is hammer down, chamber empty. Condition 1 is 'cocked and locked'<<<

Your right, got cofused there for a second, must have brain farted. Thanks for clearing that up!

Browning didn't design the 1911 with an ambi safety.<<<

I don't have a Browning High Power pistol. I have a Springfield 1911 A-1 in stainless steel and I'm sure it has an ambi safety. JMB did design the original 1911 Colt, again I'm sure, but different manufactures added to his design later on. Its almost a 100 yr old design. Just wanted to clear that up for you.

I'm well aware of that, thanks - if I had meant the Hi Power, I would have said so.

Regardless, we've got it straightened out now...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706