mnealtx

Edward "Ted" Kennedy, RIP

Why would you want men of character making laws that confiscate our wealth in order to further the cause of forced morality?

I never voted for Bush (who funded a 3-trillion dollar war with my money for his own forced morality).

The cost of both wars combined since 2001 is about $900B. Slightly less than the cost of the healthcare bill we should pass "in Teddy's memory." Slightly more than the stimulus we had to pass immediately earlier this year. 3-trillion is the projected deficit over the first year and half of Obama's presidency.

If you judge the cost of a war mostly in monetary terms, and not in human terms, you've failed to judge the cost of the war.

Why would you want men of character making laws that confiscate our wealth in order to further the cause of forced morality?

I never voted for Bush (who funded a 3-trillion dollar war with my money for his own forced morality).

The cost of both wars combined since 2001 is about $900B. Slightly less than the cost of the healthcare bill we should pass "in Teddy's memory." Slightly more than the stimulus we had to pass immediately earlier this year. 3-trillion is the projected deficit over the first year and half of Obama's presidency.

If you judge the cost of a war mostly in monetary terms, and not in human terms, you've failed to judge the cost of the war.

Does that apply to riddler as well, or is this 'rule' of yours only reserved for those who aren't vehemently against the war?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think it's rare these days for any politician to go through their entire lives scandal-free or clean of ethic violations, etc. Everybody, or damn near, have got a skeleton in their closets.

Slight difference for most of us between the proverbial "skeleton in the closet" and an actual skeleton in the ground.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

I think it's rare these days for any politician to go through their entire lives scandal-free or clean of ethic violations, etc. Everybody, or damn near, have got a skeleton in their closets.

Slight difference for most of us between the proverbial "skeleton in the closet" and an actual skeleton in the ground.

Negligently causing someone else's death is what it is, but it doesn't make someone a murderer, as some have idiotically claimed. For example, and the situations are far from identical, when Laura Bush was 17, she ran a stop sign and caused an accident in which another person was killed. Society allowed her to get on with her life, and properly so.

Negligently causing someone else's death is what it is, but it doesn't make someone a murderer, as some have idiotically claimed. For example, and the situations are far from identical, when Laura Bush was 17, she ran a stop sign and caused an accident in which another person was killed. Society allowed her to get on with her life, and properly so.

I don't think he murdered her, but the events that transpired afterward indicate he was much more concerned with covering his political ass than with saving the girl. Thats disgusting behavior....
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

was Laura Bush drunk? did she lie about why she was there or were she was going? Probably a different situation. Kennedy's situation is considered manslaughter. If we would have done what Kennedy did we would be in jail, instead Kennedy got off and then got to write laws to control us, maybe he needed to put his affairs in order first.

maybe someone can make better use of his oxygen now.

maybe someone can make better use of his oxygen now.

Not very Christian of you Ron.

Or..... it's a statement of hope that the next guy (the next 'generation' if you will - the 'kids') will exceed Ted's contributions to society even more.

As a parent, we always want our kids to exceed our abilities and do even better than we did.

I think it's a great statement.

My question is - why do hate children so much that you'd want them to fail relative to the last generation?

:P

mmmmmm - spin

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Is that some kind of cover for overstating the cost of the war by more than three fold? Are you putting a price on each life to somehow arrive at 3-trillion dollars?

I agree with your statement. However, I was correcting the previous claim, not starting a discussion on the moral cost of a war.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured.

While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

Downloaded from http://www.nndb.com/people/623/000023554/

BTW it was extremely uncommon for any enlisted soldiers to be stationed in Paris at that time and even rarer that a private be stationed there as part of the diplomatic contingent.

Of course carousing and not showing up for duty went without punishment.

You want to talk about grades at school, eh? Wasn't Bush the very last in his class at the academy or something? Or wait... I think that was McCaine. Gosh, I dunno... I just can't keep track anymore! :S
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Kennedy earned C grades at the private Milton Academy, but was admitted to Harvard as a "legacy" -- his father and older brothers had attended there, so the younger and dimmer Kennedy's admission was virtually assured.

While attending, he was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England, pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged.

BTW it was extremely uncommon for any enlisted soldiers to be stationed in Paris at that time and even rarer that a private be stationed there as part of the diplomatic contingent.

You want to talk about grades at school, eh? Wasn't Bush the very last in his class at the academy or something? Or wait... I think that was McCaine. Gosh, I dunno... I just can't keep track anymore! :S

Yep. Here we go. Anything to divert attention from the truth of the discussion at hand.

The cost of both wars combined since 2001 is about $900B.

Current cost, vs. projected cost. Frame it however you want, we're still going to have to pay for it. When all U.S. troops are out of Iraq, feel free to tell tally the cost then, and tell me I was wrong.

We still have bases in Japan, 60 years after WW2. I doubt the Iraqis will be paying us $2 billion per year for the privilege.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Bush went to Yale, same as Kerry...where he pulled a higher GPA.

Next question?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Bush went to Yale, same as Kerry...where he pulled a higher GPA.

Next question?

And he also got a masters degree from Harvard iirc

Current cost, vs. projected cost. Frame it however you want, we're still going to have to pay for it.

Oh... projected. I didn't realize we were seeing the future in citing facts.

When all U.S. troops are out of Iraq, feel free to tell tally the cost then, and tell me I was wrong.

I don't see how withdrawing troops is going to tripple the cost of the war. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the war has not cost us $3T.

We still have bases in Japan, 60 years after WW2. I doubt the Iraqis will be paying us $2 billion per year for the privilege.

A: You're assuming we're going to have bases in Iraq for 60 years.

B: You're tallying the cost of overseas bases to previous wars. By that logic, much of the current DOD budget is funding for WWII.

Classy!

I hope that's not your best foot you're putting forward there.

Don

Hey, the man was responsible for the death of an innocent and the best excuse was manslaughter.

He deserved no praise.

If that was your sister or cousin you might feel differently.

I do not and will not cut anyone slack who kills or murders due to negligence, or worse.

He had less honor and decency than my uncle Tony, which people considered a bad man.

Yet he may have done more good for people and less victimizing than the senator.

A: You're assuming we're going to have bases in Iraq for 60 years.

Well, given our history with things like that, I'd say that it's a pretty safe assumption.

Maybe. I think it's just a little hasty to start including the supposed price of those supposed actions in the cost of the war.

It was hyperbole based on lots of future maybe's.

Yep. Here we go. Anything to divert attention from the truth of the discussion at hand.

If there wasn't any point to it that is one thing, but to prove that it happens on BOTH sides is another. It's relevant to the debate. Calling somebody out for throwing stones when they live in a glass house is VERY relevant. It's the same for both sides. Call em' how they are.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

If there wasn't any point to it that is one thing, but to prove that it happens on BOTH sides is another. It's relevant to the debate. Calling somebody out for throwing stones when they live in a glass house is VERY relevant. It's the same for both sides. Call em' how they are.

If the discussion was Kennedy's military experience and education vs Bush and McCaine's then yes, it would be very relevant. If the discussion is on Kennedy, then throwing in accusations about other people is not relevant. It's an attempted distraction; a red herring. "Well look at those guys" is not relevant and even if it were, it certainly wouldn't be an excuse.

If you are referring to me I think you are grossly mistaken.

I am once again attending school, still have nothing but A's, the accrediting agency is the same as it is for Northwestern or UofC.

I also served and did quite well, so do you want to take back that crap?

Or do you use these statements without knowing what you are saying?

I am once again attending school, still have nothing but A's, the accrediting agency is the same as it is for Northwestern or UofC.

That agency is the North Central Association (NCA).

They accredit all sorts of schools, including the one in the attachment. :|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.