miked10270

Doing the DECENT thing.

No emotional benefit to me(from al-Megrahi's release). I only point out the stupidity of his release.

Just to stir the pot a little; I've appended a recent pic of America's Commander-in-Chief with the man who ORDERED and CAUSED the Lockerbie Bombing.

Couldn't find a pic of America's preceeding C-i-C with this State-Sponsor of Terrorism, only an article about him expressing thanksto a terrorist... I'm sure the appropriate pics exist.

I feel this begs the question; "If we are being so nice to the person who ordered and caused the Lockerbie Bombing, why punish some minion involved in it's execution?"

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

The Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi said he had "sympathy" for the families of the victims and shared their frustration that his appeal would never be heard.

He claimed he had been left with the appalling choice of dying in prison if his appeal failed or accepting the guilty verdict and being allowed to return home.

A statement was issued on behalf of Megrahi after he left prison in Scotland on a chartered jet to Libya.

It said: "I am obviously very relieved to be leaving my prison cell at last and returning to Libya, my homeland.

"Many people, including the relatives of those who died in, and over, Lockerbie, are, I know, upset that my appeal has come to an end; that nothing more can be done about the circumstances surrounding the Lockerbie bombing.

"I share their frustration. I had most to gain and nothing to lose about the whole truth coming out – until my diagnosis of cancer.

"To those victims' relatives who can bear to hear me say this: they continue to have my sincere sympathy for the unimaginable loss that they have suffered. To those who bear me ill will, I do not return that to you.

"I cannot find words in my language or yours that give proper expression to the desolation I have felt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/20/lockerbie-bomber-frustration-statement
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

No emotional benefit to me(from al-Megrahi's release). I only point out the stupidity of his release.

Just to stir the pot a little; I've appended a recent pic of America's Commander-in-Chief with the man who ORDERED and CAUSED the Lockerbie Bombing.

Couldn't find a pic of America's preceeding C-i-C with this State-Sponsor of Terrorism, only an article about him expressing thanksto a terrorist... I'm sure the appropriate pics exist.

I feel this begs the question; "If we are being so nice to the person who ordered and caused the Lockerbie Bombing, why punish some minion involved in it's execution?"

Mike.

Because everyone should be held to account for one's actions.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Nor is there any reason to keep him imprisoned ...

Sure there is. It's called justice. It's an essential part of civil society, and it's the government's responsibility to effect that. If the government abdicates that responsibility, then who ensures justice, especially for violent crimes?

Does the concept of parole exist in the US of A? If so, do people get convicted of a crime, get sentenced for a period but get out before that term expires?

If so, nothing new here.

Not for 1st degree murder
Abraham Lincoln

Why does your jackass Justice Secretary get to decide for everyone?>:(
189 of those killed were Americans.

Does this mean that UK justice should apply every time a Brit is murdered in the USA?

Do you honestly think the Libyans would do the same with Scottish people in the same circumstances? >:(

Is bad behavior by one nation an excuse for bad behavior by another?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

189 of those killed were Americans. Do you honestly think the Libyans would do the same with Scottish people in the same circumstances? >:(

His country, his rules.

If you don't like it ... use that illegal rendition thing, it wouldn't be the first time.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

And once someone is dead, that process is done with.

But, he's not dead. And for him to be afforded the comfort of his family whilst dying is a massive injustice to those who lost loved ones on that flight.

....a comfort he denied those he killed
Abraham Lincoln

Does this mean that UK justice should apply every time a Brit is murdered in the USA?

Do you honestly think the Libyans would do the same with Scottish people in the same circumstances? >:(

Unles you live in Chicago and are an Obama friend/supporter, if you muder in the 1st degree, you go to prison for life minimum.
Abraham Lincoln

So the fact that Obama (who was 9 when Ayers went underground, and 19 when he re-emerged) would eventually know him and become President is why the charges were dropped in 1980?

Wow. I want those guys to tell me what lottery numbers to pick.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So the fact that Obama (who was 9 when Ayers went underground, and 19 when he re-emerged) would eventually know him and become President is why the charges were dropped in 1980?

Wow. I want those guys to tell me what lottery numbers to pick.

Wendy P.

It was sarchasm intended for kallend.

John Ayer and Wright are a whole new thread.

And Ayers got off on a gov screw up. A technicality. HE admited that more than once in new interviews. He stated after 911 he wishes he would have done more. Defend HIM if you like, but he is a criminal terrorist teaching children. Gotta love it......
Abraham Lincoln

I'm not sure where I defended him. OTOH, I'm not quite ready to put the bullet into his head either.

I prefer approaches that maintain the maximum utility and efficiency. That's generally quantifiable, in time or money. Using emotional standards is far less quantifiable. Sometimes it's necessary, though.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm not sure where I defended him. OTOH, I'm not quite ready to put the bullet into his head either.

I prefer approaches that maintain the maximum utility and efficiency. That's generally quantifiable, in time or money. Using emotional standards is far less quantifiable. Sometimes it's necessary, though.

Wendy P.

I do not advocate a bullet either. But many try to make him into something he is not. When it is quite clear what he is.
Abraham Lincoln

If a terrorist kills over 200 people on American soil and 189 of them are citizens of the UK then yes. They should at least ask for the opinion from the other country.

I'm a spiteful bastard so yes it is.

Unles you live in Chicago and are an Obama friend/supporter, if you muder in the 1st degree, you go to prison for life minimum.

Dude enough with the Obama supporter, liberal bastards bullshit. I'm a liberal (from chicago) who voted for Obama and I bet others who are opposed to the decision to let this piece of shit go are too.

If you hadn't heard you actually agree with Obama with regard to this release, (take a deep breath while that sinks in) are you feeling OK?

Personally I think he should have stayed in jail and eventually moved to a secure hospital to die in custody, he only served 8 years of a life sentence.
Compassion would be allowing his relatives to have extra visitation while he was dying.

Dude enough with the Obama supporter, liberal bastards bullshit. I'm a liberal (from chicago) who voted for Obama and I bet others who are opposed to the decision to let this piece of shit go are too.

Again DUDE, the comment was aimed at kallend. I am sorry you are a liberal. I only hope you can grow out of it and regret your Obama vote
Abraham Lincoln

If you hadn't heard you actually agree with Obama with regard to this release, (take a deep breath while that sinks in) are you feeling OK?

Personally I think he should have stayed in jail and eventually moved to a secure hospital to die in custody, he only served 8 years of a life sentence.
Compassion would be allowing his relatives to have extra visitation while he was dying.

This was not about Obama, but I glad he is right on this. There is a first time for everything

But then, even a stopped clock is right twice a day;)
Abraham Lincoln

I have to disagree, as applied to this particular case. There are multiple, concurrent philosophical justifications for punishment of criminals. For the most part, they include
-Retribution - society expressing its outrage by using a certain measure of, yes, vengeance;

Generally, each of these supplies something not fully supplied by the others. And each is considered legitimate, in proper measure, and in proper balance with the other reasons - as well as with other factors such as heinousness of the crime on one hand, and compassion on the other - all of which is decided on a case by case basis. So just as deterrence does not compensate victims, but is still justified, retribution - in proper measure - can also be justified, even though it might not (physically) compensate the victims.

It's all about striking a reasonable balance among all of these justifications for punishment. And that's why it can be seen as reasonable to keep someone incarcerated for murder even though doing so won't bring the victim back.

Thanks for that. You, Jerry [lawrocket], or someone else so easily could have .... & perhaps, should have ... called me only my earlier apparent equivocation of vengeance with retributive justice on page 1 of this thread. That was an over-simplification on my part. Vengeance is one possible end of the sprectrum of retributive justice not an equivocation.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

+1

I could maybe see this.
Abraham Lincoln

And you are proud of that?:|

:D
Abraham Lincoln