masterblaster72

Your Opinion: History's Greatest Military Commander?

His memoirs Defeat into Victory and Unofficial History are both classics and well deserving of a read.

Haven't read either. Will put them on my list. Thanks for the recommendations.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

he was a corporal before DA fuhrer!! I have actually had several history teachers referrer to him as Brilliant,beside the fact he was complete lunatic. and Great speaker as well. But to me his actions outweigh any talent's he might have possessed, plus he LOST so how good could he have been. history's written by the winners therefore its not supposed to remember the losers!!!!
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Ought to say Unofficial History is very much a lighthearted and anecdotal book, but I'm sure you'd find Slim's experiences of skirmishing with Waziri tribesmen on the North-West Frontier, and leading the British intervention in Persia of interest all the same.

Defeat into Victory meanwhile is campaign memoir par excellence.

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to mention Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce. He led his people and was able to 'avoid' U.S. troops, through three western states and one Canadian Province until his surrender. His tacticts are studied to this day at West Point.

Chuck