RonD1120

Observation Regarding Spirituality

It's possible to be spiritual without being religious, and vice versa.

no, it's just a different word for the same same set of self delusion

whether it's a myth of sorts that's based on organized religion or just a personal 'feeling', it's all bunk. I get a kick out of self proclaimed anti-religious types that go on about 'karma' (many times 'carma'). It's just more of the same, only more PC.

again, so what? if it works for you, more power to you, but it would be nice if people just recognize the difference between 'faith' and fact and that they are mutually exclusive, so both sides are just wasting their time trying to foist their personal perceptions on each other.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In the end, most people desire an anchor.

for some it's their faith (formal or otherwise). others it's family, career, ego, whatever

for many of us, our anchor is a big hunk of metal we put out to keep the boat from drifting away

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I am saying that there may be some people who lack any capacity for spiritual experience of any sort.

The way I would put it would be that there are some adults whose brains are hard-wired to believe in the supernatural, and some whose are not. The former are inclined to eventually have religious beliefs, even if they'd been raised in non-religious households; while the latter are inclined to eventually consider themselves to be atheists, even if they'd been raised in religious households.

Which explains your point:

It would, however, explain why the spiritual & the non-spiritual get into these arguments with each side feeling like they're talking to a brick wall.

I suggest it might be even simpler than this - I think that people try to look at their world in a way that makes the most sense to them and provides the most amount of understanding to them (not understanding in the sense of knowing the truth, but understanding in that they interpret the world around them in a way they can comprehend) and for some that means being extremely religious and/or faith-driven, for others it means looking at things from a very scientific perspective, and for others it can be a combination of the two.

It's possible to be spiritual without being religious, and vice versa.

no, it's just a different word for the same same set of self delusion

Would you say that meditation is a delusion?

It takes no particular belief or faith in any supernatural force or system, yet millions (perhaps billions) of people view it as a spiritual experience.

FWIW, the best description I've ever heard of what draws me to BASE jumping was offered by one of my students, who described it as "active meditation."

A "spiritual" experience is entirely inwardly focused. It's an examination of yourself (your consciousness, your mind, whatever you want to call it). It doesn't have to have anything to do with any external factors at all.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Psychologists and Psychiatrists are spiritual teachers in a way.

Yes, just like witch doctors.

BTW, that is the position taken by Scientology.

Yes, Scientologists would be a SUB-set of people with that belief.

Your point?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I wasnt until i just read up on it, and you believe that "Vital Force" is the soul?? :S

Not soul, the spirit. Two separate components.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

And over these past few weeks I have come to the conclusion - observation, in fact - that when the going gets tough, you get ad hominem against the messenger. Just like this. As I replied in earlier threads where you pulled that: nice try; I'm not playing your game. Let's stick to playing the ball, and not the player.

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know what ad hominem meant.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Psychologists and Psychiatrists are spiritual teachers in a way.

Yes, just like witch doctors.

BTW, that is the position taken by Scientology.

Yes, Scientologists would be a SUB-set of people with that belief.

Your point?

No point, just comment.