ChristSkyd

The Roman Road for Christian Skydivers

Did you watch the video? Cronkite states it in his own words in opposition to Pat Robertson.

I did, that's why it's laughable.

Watching people arguing about religion is like watching two five year olds arguing about who has the best imaginary friend.

Matthew 18:3
and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Did you watch the video? Cronkite states it in his own words in opposition to Pat Robertson.

I did, that's why it's laughable.

Watching people arguing about religion is like watching two five year olds arguing about who has the best imaginary friend.

and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

i just hope "god" has more common sense than that.. :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i just hope "god" has more common sense than that.. :D

Trust me my friend, the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent creator of the universe has no "common" sense.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

>I offer personal testimony.

And I have no doubt that it your experience is valid. But I also have no doubt that the people who have turned their lives around through belief in Allah, or in Buddhism, or in their husbands or wives, have experiences that are any less valid.

To me, the details of the belief are unimportant, as are the names people call them by. What IS important is how it affects their lives. I think that gets lost too often in the arguing over religious details.

From a sociological point of view amen, amen and amen.

Translated that means: Yes, it is a good thing that people make themselves better people through other religions, but, if it's not my religion they are still going to hell. Meh.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

[reply

Well, I certainly would have to reduce my intellect to that of an infant to sign on to that superstitious bullshit that's for sure, so there's one thing we can agree on.

Obviously this guy is way off base on his beliefs and his supposed evidence is just miss-used and twisted information, however, that does not make all people who are "religious" nuts or stupid. Should I look at some of the people who killed themselves skydiving by doing something stupid and should obviously not have done (swooping with less that 50 jumps for example) and call all skydivers stupid and suicidal? Obviously not. Then why do the same except in the opposite direction. For goodness sakes...even some of the scriptures given in opposition to this guys position aren't correct either. There are plenty of bible scholars who don't believe the bible and are not "religious" who have a much better understanding than most people here. What does either side really think they are going to accomplish. do you really think you are going to help the "religious" come to your understanding of things (whether its correct or not) by simply making fun of them and laughing? If thats not your intent the leave it alone and don't make fun at all. Can you really be so hipocritical to point at the religious and tell them not to judge you when you judge them?

Obviously this guy is way off base on his beliefs and his supposed evidence is just miss-used and twisted information, however, that does not make all people who are "religious" nuts or stupid. Should I look at some of the people who killed themselves skydiving by doing something stupid and should obviously not have done (swooping with less that 50 jumps for example) and call all skydivers stupid and suicidal? Obviously not. Then why do the same except in the opposite direction. For goodness sakes...even some of the scriptures given in opposition to this guys position aren't correct either. There are plenty of bible scholars who don't believe the bible and are not "religious" who have a much better understanding than most people here. What does either side really think they are going to accomplish. do you really think you are going to help the "religious" come to your understanding of things (whether its correct or not) by simply making fun of them and laughing? If thats not your intent the leave it alone and don't make fun at all. Can you really be so hipocritical to point at the religious and tell them not to judge you when you judge them?

Missed the point by a mile there old chap I'm afraid.

Skydiving is real and immediate. A belief in an imaginary being is not. If I said you were stupid for believing in unicorns, I doubt you would use the same analogy.

Also, I'm allowed to judge them in the same way that they judge me as an atheist. It's not hypocritical in any way. I personally could care less what they think of me actually, any more than I care what a passing dog thinks of the color of my car. It's irrelevant.

My only concern is when some loon decides that their belief in supernatural entities gives them the right to interfere with my rights and laws. Other than that, They are nothing more than passing amusements AFAIK.

However, we should enjoy it while we can. Atheists are now the fastest growing segment of the US secular society. When I moved here 18 years ago, it was 4%. Now it's 11% and growing.

My only concern is when some loon decides that their belief in supernatural entities gives them the right to interfere with my rights and laws. Other than that, They are nothing more than passing amusements AFAIK.

However, we should enjoy it while we can. Atheists are now the fastest growing segment of the US secular society. When I moved here 18 years ago, it was 4%. Now it's 11% and growing.

So what is it this growing body of atheists have to offer? TRUTH? If we come from nothing and will return to nothing, does it matter what anybody does or believes? Does truth even exist? Right wingers, leftist liberals, fanatic moslems, angry atheists, so what, some of us will be happy and some won't. Will being able to create individual metaphysical universes, where we all do what is right in our own eyes, make the world a happier place? How is this incomplete science based salvation atheists are presenting going to tip the well being scale to a favorable direction? And since in the end none of it matters anyway, why do you care? Since truth is just a relative value.

Trust me my friend, the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent creator of the universe has no "common" sense.

Exactly like his followers then.

:D:D:D

actually, thats what i tried to imply.. B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

So what is it this growing body of atheists have to offer? TRUTH? If we come from nothing and will return to nothing, does it matter what anybody does or believes? Does truth even exist? Right wingers, leftist liberals, fanatic moslems, angry atheists, so what, some of us will be happy and some won't. Will being able to create individual metaphysical universes, where we all do what is right in our own eyes, make the world a happier place? How is this incomplete science based salvation atheists are presenting going to tip the well being scale to a favorable direction? And since in the end none of it matters anyway, why do you care? Since truth is just a relative value.

The fact is atheist do not need to beleive in anything other than reality, in the end thats all we have. Since it really does not matter what happenes in the end, what happenes now does and we believe in living our lives to the fullest. Atheist do not do good under the blackmail of hell, we do it because it's the right thing to do.

The fact is atheist do not need to beleive in anything other than reality, in the end thats all we have. Since it really does not matter what happenes in the end, what happenes now does and we believe in living our lives to the fullest. Atheist do not do good under the blackmail of hell, we do it because it's the right thing to do.

And just maybe if people did not think they would be, or need to be, salvaged at the end of their life, regardless of how good or evil they had behaved; they might live their life just a bit differently.

It just occurs to me that if you believe there is an afterlife where all is peaceful and bliss regardless of how nasty you are, as long as you are willing to confess your sins, there is less incentive to play nice.

Everyone ought to live their life, indeed each day of it, as if this is it. (I think that is the name of a Watts book, "This is it.")

How you live, every day, and what you leave behind, is what you are (were). Nothing more, nothing less. You do not get to draw a new hand on your deathbed.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It just occurs to me that if you believe there is an afterlife where all is peaceful and bliss regardless of how nasty you are, as long as you are willing to confess your sins, there is less incentive to play nice.

You're correct, it doesn't actually work that way.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You're correct, it doesn't actually work that way.

I've yet to see any proof of how it works.

The thing is, if someone truly believes in God, they're not going to treat God as if God were a mere government bureaucracy where you can just exploit a loophole.

What if that person were Shinto and prayed to the kami of loopholes?

The thing is, if someone truly believes in God, they're not going to treat God as if God were a mere government bureaucracy where you can just exploit a loophole.

I know a lot of people who do that: "dispensations", annulments, etc.- not out of religious agenda, but to enable a personal agenda. The idea of the "Get out of jail Free" card existed in religion loooong before Monopoly was ever invented.