Andy9o8

A Canadian experience with Canadian health-care

http://watchingthewatchers.org/article/26101/canadian-experience-canadian

A Canadian experience with Canadian health-care

Thu Jul 16, 2009 at 06:41:41 AM PDT

Watching the debate in the US over health-care from a Canadian point of view, is probably another diary all together, but I would like to share a typical Canadian experience with our good but not-perfect health-care system.

First off, as a Canadian and living in Ontario, I am covered by our provincial health-care system, OHIP. If I was living in another province, I would be covered by that provincial system, like Quebec or BC.

In addition, I have a health insurance plan from my employer, which pays for a lot of the items not covered by the government health-care, medication, dentist, private hospital rooms, ambulance, optical, etc..

Last September, my wife and I gave birth to our very first child, a 5lbs 4 oz little boy. A little small, but otherwise healthy baby boy. After a very short delivery, we were transferred to our private room, where we spent the first morning getting visits by nurses and our midwife who helped with the birth at the hospital. They took blood about every 6 hours, to check for various tests, and noticed pretty quickly that he was jaundiced.

So we were transferred to pediatric care, lost our private room, but ended up in a semi private room with no other patient with us. The main difference in this was in the private room my wife was the main patient, in pediatrics, our son was the patient, and we were simply guests - well my wife had a bed of course, I slept on a chair. The care in this place was the best, the nurses and doctors were very personable, extremely nice, almost to the point we were shocked how friendly they all were - that is until you realize where you are, and that healthy babies are not they have to deal with everyday.

Fast forward 1 day, and we were home and everyone was fine and healthy. We then got a call from our doctor that a test for his thyroid level came back a little funny, and they needed us to get more tests done. As some background, the Ontario Newborn Screening Program is for all babies born in Ontario, which was designed to catch serious health problems before they arise.

Except this time we were asked to go to Sick Kids Hospital, en entire hospital dedicated to Child care.

When the tests came back - we went in for a visit with the doctor, now at Sick Kids, and our boy was prescribed synthroid to bring his levels back to normal.

The pills were picked up at our local WalMart pharmacy counter, and after a few more visits to the hospital and our family doctor, his levels are now normal, and he's a healthy, beautiful baby boy, now in the middle of his regular vaccination schedule.

The costs:

Widwife (6 months office, plus home visits after birth), hospital delivery, pediatric care, blood work and screening, visit to Sick Kids hospital, radioactive iodine scan, visit to family doctor, more blood tests, vaccinations - all covered by our provincial health plan - paid for by our taxes.

Private room, synthroid ($10 total cost) - covered by employer health Insurance.

Elective vaccinations (Hep B, Rotovirus "Rotateq") - not covered any health plan or insurance.

I don't know what this would have cost in the US, or if even if the level of screening and care is available. I'm sure it is if you pay for it, or are sure you have the proper insurance, but that's not the point.

What I removed from the story above, was the sheer panic of not knowing what was going on, seeing your brand new baby subjected to multiple tests, with not many people telling you what's going on. The unknown of what to do, and the general feeling of helplessness. Add to that, your wife is feeling the same thing, except she has the added effect of hormones which is doing all sorts of things...and she just passed something the size of a large football, but I digress.

At NO point did the thought of "How am I going to pay for all this" even entered my mind. Money was not a factor in making any medical decision for my child's health. I cannot imagine having to pick between massive debt, and a series of tests that could prevent serious health problems.

I cannot imagine the hospital telling us that we had to drive to another location to give birth, because our insurance company didn't "like" that hospital.

I cannot imagine having to decide between food or overpriced medication.

In hindsight, our story isn't that interesting, nor serious. The pills are cheap, the tests were not that bad, and he's in perfect health now.

So, as you all have this debate about "socialized medicine" note one thing about my story - I never had to fill out a form, call a 1-800 number for permission, visit a government office, and the only time I used my credit card was to buy a sandwich in the cafeteria.

Ok, I have one complaint - in a private hospital I'm sure I could have found better coffee at 4AM. You win.

Update:

Thank you for all your comments, I thought I would share one more thing... [click on the link to see the pic at the bottom]

The costs:

Widwife (6 months office, plus home visits after birth), hospital delivery, pediatric care, blood work and screening, visit to Sick Kids hospital, radioactive iodine scan, visit to family doctor, more blood tests, vaccinations - all covered by our provincial health plan - paid for by our taxes.

Hmm. Mine paid for by insurance.

[Reply]Private room, synthroid ($10 total cost) - covered by employer health Insurance.

Minus synthroid, same here.

[Reply]I don't know what this would have cost in the US, or if even if the level of screening and care is available. I'm sure it is if you pay for it, or are sure you have the proper insurance,

Yep. Having insurance is nice.

[Reply]At NO point did the thought of "How am I going to pay for all this" even entered my mind. Money was not a factor in making any medical decision for my child's health.

Cool. He knows how I feel.

[Reply]I cannot imagine having to pick between massive debt, and a series of tests that could prevent serious health problems.

I can. I did. So I got insurance.

[Reply]I cannot imagine the hospital telling us that we had to drive to another location to give birth, because our insurance company didn't "like" that hospital.

Nor can I imagine being so ill-prepared.

[Reply]I cannot imagine having to decide between food or overpriced medication.

Nor can I. Insurance.

[Reply] I never had to fill out a form

Not even a history?

[Reply]call a 1-800 number for permission, visit a government office, and the only time I used my credit card was to buy a sandwich in the cafeteria.

Neither have I.aqqqq

Oh, yeah. I plan ahead and buy insurance versus buying other things. Just because I pride myself on taking care of myself and my own.

Now, of course, I will get less so that I can take care of others, too.

My wife is hotter than your wife.