Gawain

GM is Out of Bankruptcy, Will You Buy a GM Car Now?

GM broke records going through bankruptcy...40 days. Now emerged, 60% US Government Owned, 12% Canadian Government Owned, 20-ish% Union Owned, 10% Bondholder Owned...all for only $50B taxpayer dollars...

The Camaro looks nice, but they won't get my business...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

GM broke records going through bankruptcy...40 days. Now emerged, 60% US Government Owned, 12% Canadian Government Owned, 20-ish% Union Owned, 10% Bondholder Owned...all for only $50B taxpayer dollars...

I bought shares of GM on 6/1 - the day they went into bankruptcy.
If I had sold the stock today I would have made 40% gain in just over a month.
It's in one of my retirement accounts. So no real money for a few more years.
I'm waiting for that time just before the government sells off its interest in GM to cash in.
Should be around Sept/Oct.
I think I will end up tripling-ish my investment gamble on the penny stock.

As far as actual vehicles - I'll stick with Nissan.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

You definitely like the risk more than I do. You can never tell exactly the date when the company will declare the stock junk and IPO new shares. My brokerage co's transactions move too slowly for me to comfortably trade in the Pinks.

Oh, and ford.
My last vehicle I bought in 2003, A brand new F150 King Ranch 4X4, hasn't been taken in for any failures yet. It's like I had bought a Civic.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

If I was willing to spend the money, I would buy a Camero SS2 right now. That car is pure sex on wheels (to a car guy), but I'm not willing to spend my money on a new car right now. Although I was thinking about buying a 1984 GMC Vandura and painting it gray over black with a red strip dividing the two halves...maybe get some red turbine wheels...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There are no poll choices that apply to me, so I didn't vote.

Anyhow, I probably would not buy a new GM. I think they put out a crap product compared to just about all of the major foreign competition. Since I like to keep my cars a long time, that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

I bought shares of GM on 6/1 - the day they went into bankruptcy.
If I had sold the stock today I would have made 40% gain in just over a month.
It's in one of my retirement accounts. So no real money for a few more years.
I'm waiting for that time just before the government sells off its interest in GM to cash in.
Should be around Sept/Oct.
I think I will end up tripling-ish my investment gamble on the penny stock.

As far as actual vehicles - I'll stick with Nissan.

I thought GM was taken off the NYSE. What is the disposition of those shares now? They don't expect to bring the company "public" again until sometime next year.

Edit to add: I also need to point out, that only Canada has pointed out an actual road map for selling of their interest. The US "loans" are due in 2015. Uncle Sam will have his hands in these pockets for quite a while.
Make light!

I won't be buying another car for 5 years or so, so no.

However, I wouldn't let political prejudice stand in the way of my choice.

Actually, GM didn't have my business before any of this stuff started going down, the government factor simply reinforces my previous position. ;)
Make light!

I thought GM was taken off the NYSE. What is the disposition of those shares now? They don't expect to bring the company "public" again until sometime next year.

Edit to add: I also need to point out, that only Canada has pointed out an actual road map for selling of their interest. The US "loans" are due in 2015. Uncle Sam will have his hands in these pockets for quite a while.

GM is now GMGMQ.PK
I suppose that's for General Motors Government Motors Quandary

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

My views on the GM theft...some would call it a bailout; I call it theft of funds from the Treasury...are pretty well known. I fucking hate it and think GWB should be charged with a violation of the misappropriation act for using TARP funds to effect it.

However, a lot of folks are saying bad things about their products. I had a Chevy Cavalier I bought in 1998 and sold in 2008. I had over 375K on that car when I sold it. The Thunderduck, as I affectionately called it, only broke four times in that ten year period. One alternator, two cooling pumps, and one bad spark plug wire. Not too bad, I think, for the amount of miles I put on that sucker.

I'd agree that their products as a general rule of thumb aren't as good, but they did produce some good ones.

On the other hand, I had to rent a Dodge this past week - Dollar was out of Toyotas; I endeavor NEVER to even RENT fucking GM or Chrysler products now - and that was the worst vehicle I've ever driven. Below the PT cruiser even. If that's the quality they put out it's no wonder they got in the shape they did and raped the taxpayer with government collusion. Only a fucking idiot would buy such a vehicle - the parking lot at the DNC was probably full of them.

In all likelihood the sun will be zero Kelvin before I even consider purchasing a GM or Chrysler product, though I would consider a Ford.

Just thinking about the amount of taxpayer $$ spent on this waste sickens me. Clicky Compare it with the budgets of most departments. Or the NSF. Fucking disgusting! [barf] The whole lopsidedness of discretionary spending is disgusting anyway. Too DoD centric. Fucking non-discretionary is even more dis-fucking-gusting.

[barf]
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

My last vehicle I bought in 2003, A brand new F150 King Ranch 4X4, hasn't been taken in for any failures yet.

My last vehicle I bought in 1995. A brand new Ford Ranger (2WD), hasn’t been taken in for any failures yet. :)
/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Like any company that declared bankruptcy, it's stock is knocked off to the "pinks" or over-the-counter. It's almost guaranteed that they will be declared useless and GM will be relisted under new stocks. The original stocks never convert to the old ones. And they rarely, if ever, recover and get relisted. It's much easier if the company to declare them worthless and reissue new stocks under a new IPO.

I'm pretty sure you may know this, but I know a lot of people who have it in their heads that if they buy the stocks now it will sooner or later go back to its original heights. And .60 a share to 30 dollars a share is an extreme multiplication of money that people are attracted to. This is not the "fire sale" of buying stocks like companies such as AXP. They don't realise the fact that a delisted stock never recovers. Delisting is an "event horizon" in the market.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

GM is now GMGMQ.PK
I suppose that's for General Motors Government Motors Quandary

GMGMQ.PK= GMGM(name of stock), Q (code for bankruptcy proceedings), .PK (traded on the Pink Sheets)

The list of codes on the last letter of a stock symbol:

Code: Meaning

A: Class A.

B: Class B.

C: Exempt from Nasdaq listing requirements for a limited period of time.

D: A new issue of an existing stock. (Often the result of a reverse split.)

E: Delinquent in required filings with the SEC as determined by the NASD.

F: Foreign.

G: First Convertible Bond.

H: Second Convertible Bond, same company.

I: Third Convertible Bond, same company.

J: Voting.

K Non-voting.

L: Miscellaneous situations such as foreign preferred, preferred when-issued, a second class of units, a third class of warrants, or a sixth class of preferred stock.

M: Fourth preferred, same company.

N: Third preferred, same company.

O: Second preferred, same company.

P: First preferred.

Q: In bankruptcy proceedings.

R: Rights.

S: Beneficial interest.

T: With warrants or with rights.

U: Units.

V: When-issued and when-distributed.

W: Warrants.

X: Mutual Fund.

Y: ADR (American Depositary Receipts).

Z: Miscellaneous situations such as a second class of warrants, a fifth class of preferred stock, a stub, a foreign preferred when-issued, or any unit, receipt, or certificate representing a limited partnership interest."

How many miles do you have on that thing?

>180k

I'm still driving a 94 Mazda (it's the replated Ford Ranger) with about 260k miles. It's the 4wd, so it's had some issues related to that, but it's still chugging along, and worth well more to me than the couple hundred bucks or so in bluebook value.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just bought a Camry.

Matt

Which did you replace? The Malibu or the Avalanche?
Make light!