TomAiello

How many rounds of ammo do you keep at home?

In the thread about the fire burning the stored ammo, I got to thinking that "a thousand rounds" sounds like a lot if you don't shoot much, but serious shooters can go through that much pretty quickly.

Maybe I ought to start a poll asking how much people think "a thousand rounds" of ammunition would cost, or how large that would be in stored form.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Many peple can't grasp the concept and think it is a huge amount. (1k rounds) Those people would be blown away by looking in my safe.:D

Your poll didn't specify total or per caliber? Didn't change my answer but it might for some.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

In the thread about the fire burning the stored ammo, I got to thinking that "a thousand rounds" sounds like a lot if you don't shoot much, but serious shooters can go through that much pretty quickly.

Maybe I ought to start a poll asking how much people think "a thousand rounds" of ammunition would cost, or how large that would be in stored form.

Probably. Right now it's a leading question.

The correct answer is the shooters probably have, on average, 500 rounds per caliber gun they own, since it's most sensible to buy everything but .22s in boxes of 1000.

The story implied there were far more than "a thousand rounds." From what I've read it was more like a full sized shipping container, possibly 8'x8'x40'. Even if the one in question was a 1/4 size one, that's still considerably more than "a thousand rounds."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

From what I've read it was more like a full sized shipping container, possibly 8'x8'x40'.

And it was completely full of ammunition?

Just checked an updated story. They're saying it was a 30 footer and while probably not fully packed with ammo, was a collection of various types in addition to his "regular" shooting ammo. I assume he had an aisle of some sort either on one side or down the middle of two sides of shelves.

It also appears the guy was a bit of a packrat & avid reloader with "10,000" empty casings strewn about the back yard separate from the containered ammo.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12491407?source=rss
quade -

I can see holding him liable for the neighbors barn (and other property damage) if his storage procedures were inadequate, and caused the fire (which looks to me reasonably likely). But I don't think he's done anything criminal.

In general, I don't think this kind of thing is much of a threat to public safety, because even in this (pretty extreme) case there wasn't any huge explosion that knocked houses flat, or anything like that. Basically just an extra scary fire. For that reason, I think it would be more trouble than it would be worth to try to regulate non-commercial ammunition storage.

I wonder if he had any Raufoss in there? :P

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

> For that reason, I think it would be more trouble than it would be worth to
>try to regulate non-commercial ammunition storage.

To be fair, per the news story, it WAS regulated (i.e. he had gotten the appropriate permits to be able to store such explosives.) But I agree; from this example it sounds like we do not need additional regulation.

WOW,being the new guy on here, people may think I am crazy. But at any giving time I will have around 10k rounds in the safe, and have had more than 20k rnds. Had a large gun store go out of buisness so I bought all the ammo in the auction. But between me and my wife we will shoot any where from 1000 to2000 rnds a month, she shoots more than me, she says it a great stress releiver...lol, its all good as long as she don't shoot me in the arse ...lol

. . . from this example it sounds like we do not need additional regulation.

Let's look at it from a practical stand point though.

Does it make sense to keep that much ammo all in a large, single shipping container or would it be better to not put all your eggs in one basket? To spread it out a little.
quade -

. . . from this example it sounds like we do not need additional regulation.

Let's look at it from a practical stand point though.

Does it make sense to keep that much ammo all in a large, single shipping container or would it be better to not put all your eggs in one basket? To spread it out a little.

I'm not an expert on mass ammo storage, but I suspect there's a reason that the army stores their munitions in depots, rather than spreading them out. Perhaps they are easier to secure? Or perhaps the net effect of spreading a bunch of flammables out is worse than keeping them in one tight space, where they burn only each other, rather than everything else?

I guess the thing I'd recommend is consulting with people who actually have expertise in storing ammunition (there's bound to be some in the military) before prescribing some policy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Well you are correct! It does make great sense on the multi area for ammo, and guns. My main gun safe in my bed room, it cannot hold all my guns and ammo, it holds only 25%  of the ammo give or take. I do keep the rest out in my garage in another safe. I do keep it all locked up. For I  dohave 3 children, so no one can get a hold of my guns or ammo without at least cracking the safes....and I do keep an extra set of guns in the garage safe just in case I get blocked from getting to my main safe in the bedroom.

For those not in the know, the following attached photos will give an idea of how much bulk is taken up by "a thousand rounds" of ammo. An ink pen appears in all three photos for scale.

1) .22 rimfire - this box is 550 rds.
2) .45 pistol - 600 rds. (Good 'ol WWII surplus!)
3) .30-06 - 240 rds.

Right there with those three boxes, I've got 1,390 rounds of ammo. See? It doesn't take much at all to exceed 1,000 rounds.

One should not presume that anyone with a thousand rounds of ammo is some kind of nut who is hoarding more than he needs for nefarious purposes.

That box of .22 ammo would last me about 4 range sessions.
The .45 could be shot up in two range sessions.
The .30-06 in four rifle matches.

Nothing much to it at all.

I load my own and buy in bulk to make it cheaper.

A "sleeve" (5000) primers is a lot cheaper than individual packs of 100. (per primer) A sleeve is about the size of a cereal box.

8 lb cans of powder are signifigantly cheaper than 1lb. (per lb) An 8lb jug is about the size of a 1 gal milk jug.

I have repeatedly purchased very large quantities (10k+) of bullets (the lead part, not the whole cartridge) to get a bulk deal.

They don't go bad if stored properly.

The guys at the range I shoot at will get together onece or twice a year and put together a huge order (maybe $5k or so) to get breaks on bulk and shipping and such.

I'm glad I had a decent supply before prices went through the roof and supplies dried up.

It never came to pass, but one time there was a very good deal (J&G Sales IIRC) on 7.62x39 ammo- on quantities over 10000. Ten cases or more. We were joking about using stacks of cases as end tables or nightstands.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A "sleeve" (5000) primers is about the size of a cereal box.
8 lb cans of powder is about the size of a 1 gal milk jug.
very large quantities (10k+) of bullets

More visual aids.
1) 1,000 primers.
2) Two boxes of bullets, each with 500.
3) 8-lb. jug of powder.

You need one more choice so I did not vote.

The choice that should be on you poll is "enough":P

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

To get a decent price you want to buy .22LR in 500 round bricks and most center fire cartridges in at least 500 round cases. Most gun owners have more than one gun. Multiply the minimum you need to buy to get a decent price by at least several guns and the answer should be over 1000.

1000 rounds per caliber is a nice number, although I could see buying .22 in 5000 round cases. It's amazing how fast you can chew through that, especially with a Ruger 1022.

john you're a psycho..what are you waiting for the next revolution with all those pens laying around:D

The pen is mightier than the sword!

Although I keep my guns handy so that nobody can take my pens away;)

And Trophyhusband -The guys at the range where I shoot.:$
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo