JohnRich

Law requires guns be locked up at home

Quade Your statment is not entirely correct.. A true story tells this tale about the effect of having a gun in the house without putting a "hole" in somebody. My father is a police officer his main pistol is in his top drawer of his dresser. A 22 yr old broke into my dads house. "Stupid yes BNut there it is" Anyway my father met him in the hallway with his sig pointed at his head and he told the kid to have a seat on the couch in the livingroom. told him to pick up the phone and dial 911. he told him to tell the opperator that he was a thief and the home owner had caught him and was hoolding a gun on him. end if story... The police came took him into custody and not a shot was fired he was convicted of burglary and unlawfuull entry six years time in canyon city prizon. That wahat home guns are for....

It's not something I do either, but I'm 200lbs. Your profile suggests you're not a 110lb woman either.

Yet you live near New Orleans, so you must have some idea why others might want to do so.

Sure do. Post Katrina there were rumors of gangs heading out to the area where I was living. My neighbors got together and made plans about how to deal with them if necessary, and yes guns were part of the plan. I won't argue that they have their place, and in the long run would vote against any overly restrictive gun laws.
My post was about seeing the other side too. I'm more moderate than a lot of the self proclaimed gun nuts, and this thread seemed to be getting out of hand. Lock and load in 1.5 seconds (too slow sucker!!!), loaded guns stashed everywhere, and a 6-shooter on the hip to walk around the house? Sorry but it just got too much.
I wonder if some take it too far and cause the anti gun bunch to feel justified in going too far the other direction. I don't claim to have any answers here, just some comments about it.
But what do I know?

...this thread seemed to be getting out of hand... a 6-shooter on the hip to walk around the house? Sorry but it just got too much.I wonder if some take it too far and cause the anti gun bunch to feel justified in going too far the other direction.

You seem to be forgetting that it was the San Fransisco legislators that created the law stating that the only legal unlocked gun in a home is one that is carried on your person. So, per your statement, above, it's that anti-gun bunch that dictated what you consider to be going "too far".

The pro-gun homeowners I'm sure would be quite happy to leave their loaded guns in their usual resting places, but San Francisco doesn't allow that. So it's either carry the gun on them, or be defenseless. That's the choice the anti-gun bunch gives them.

Media coverage is not representative of what's happening, presumably because defensive gun use usually stops at brandishing which isn't exciting enough for the news. Only exciting and uncommon events get covered.

Question
A .38 caliber handgun is legally owned by a citizen - not law enforcement. The gun is used to kill somebody. The killing was most likely:
a.) Justified
b.) Murder
c.) Accidental
d.) Suicide
I think answer A is the least likely of the choices.
Of course I could be wrong.

But what do I know?

Media coverage is not representative of what's happening, presumably because defensive gun use usually stops at brandishing which isn't exciting enough for the news. Only exciting and uncommon events get covered.

Question
A .38 caliber handgun is legally owned by a citizen - not law enforcement. The gun is used to kill somebody. The killing was most likely:
a.) Justified
b.) Murder
c.) Accidental
d.) Suicide

Well, it the gun is used for murder, odds are quite high that the owner wasn't legally permitted to have it. Felons killing other felons dominates the category. D is the runaway winner, though effectively irrelevant given the other options to kill oneself.

And if instead the question was, rather than someone dying, if a gun is used to repel an attack, A does because the answer.

If that's the case, then isn't the best cost/benefit simply to lie?

Unless you get called on your bluff.

This might require logic diagramming . . .

Yeah, sure, but . . . it's a very rare case to begin with (home robbery as opposed to burglary (unoccupied structure)) and as previously stated most times just the words are enough to deter.

While antidotal evidence certainly does point to a gun being sometimes useful, you're probably not going to use it that way.

I would wager a guess that the vast majority of gun owners have never actually stopped a criminal in their homes. Sure, we hear about it all the time because there are so many homes with guns in them and crime happens 27/7/365, but the odds of it actually happening to any individual are not really worth worrying about all that much unless you happen to live in an exceedingly high crime rate area.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thank god i live in a country where we dont feel the need to have a gun on you at all times!!!!!!

My old man works for the police heading up licensing laws for firearms.
All guns Must be kept in a safe and Ammo must be stored separately, You also must secure the weapon when traveling and store bolt and ammo sep. and they are always checking up on safes , storage ect...
It is a very good law to have in place but then again we dont live in a crazy ass country where some people feel the nej,ied to even carry there guns from room to room with them.....

What kind of fucked up life that is man!.....
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

We don't need any more "stupid asshole" laws!! We don't need Uncle Sam to tell us the obvious. My guns are all locked up and secure. And, it didn't take an act of Congress.

If you want the law abiding folks to conform, pass another silly law. Then, you just have to deal with the criminals.. Good luck with that!
B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Well, there's no question that NZ is a crazy ass country. It's just a different crazy. (and with less than 2% of our population)

Nah bro, we kiwis are the normal ones, you 'other guys' are the tweakers.

:D;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

crime happens 27/7/365...

Where do you live that you get an extra three hours per day more than me?
I'd like to know, because I could use some extra hours in every day. ;)

the odds of it actually happening to any individual are not really worth worrying about all that much unless you happen to live in an exceedingly high crime rate area.

Just because the odds are low, doesn't mean that you should go unprepared for it. The odds are low my house will catch on fire, but I have an extinguisher. The odds are low I'll get hit by a hurricane, but I have emergency supplies. The odds are low I'll die early, but I have life insurance. The odds are low I'll have a parachute malfunction with a line wrapped around me, but I carry a hook knife.

Question
a.) Justified
b.) Murder
c.) Accidental
d.) Suicide

well if the media did a bit on it at all then you're right, because you rarely hear media coverage about someone using a handgun to defend themselves.
--
Rob

Question
a.) Justified
b.) Murder
c.) Accidental
d.) Suicide

well if the media did a bit on it at all then you're right, because you rarely hear media coverage about someone using a handgun to defend themselves.

Au contraire....you just don't see it reported in the MSM, only locally.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706