skydemon2

New rifle

This was a steal if you live in CA

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124230671

You can certainly get a 7600 new with synthetic stock and parkerized bbl for well under $400

they shoot under 1 moa

Then buy a Leupold 1 piece base and rings, try an inexpensive but nice Pentax game seeker or light seeker scope or one of the Falcon scopes.

Get butler creek covers that flip up, and a one hand adjustment sling.

Remove any bbl band that hold the sling, you need nothing on the bbl.

Trigger job on that is the same as a rem 870 all you do is stone and polish.

You will get a reliable 3.5lb trigger without going too far.

If you get one in .308 and you ever wear it out then buy a bbl in .260 rem and have it fitted to the bbl extension.

It is built much like a Weatherby bbl extension.

I've been looking at some guns on gunbroker.com. They have a huge selection to bid on. Do you have to pay a firearms dealer much cash to have them receive it for you? None of my friends have a federal firearms license, so I'll probably have to go through a sporting goods stor.

I like the Butler Creek, flip up caps, that have a clear lens on them. I hate to take extra time to flip things, if an elk is standing right in front of me. With the clear lens you can shoot without even flipping them up.

Remington bolt action rifles come in a short action and a long action. The long action was the same length used on magnum cartridges. So, if you have a 30/06 or 270 there is some extra travel on the bolt, that isn't really needed.

But, sometimes that is a good thing. In reloading for accuracy, one of the biggest tricks that I know is loading the bullet out to where it almost touches the lands. This can bring a group from one inch down to 1/2 an inch at 100 yds.

The older Remingtons have a long throat. I have to load my bullets really long. Loaded that long, they might not even fit into a standard box magazine. The long action on Remingtons have plenty of room to spare. You can load your bullets out as long as you want and they will feed just fine, because of the extra length of their action. But don't get them too long! If the bullet hits the lands you won't be able to close the bolt. This also greatly increases pressure.

I once had a bullet stick in the chamber because it was loaded too long while hunting. Another time I went out hunting and couldn't even close the bolt. These were important lessons. I since, started crimping my bullets, and I also try to be more careful on their length.

Remington triggers used to be fairly easy to adjust. If I recall there were three screws to play with. I used to adjust my own, but this is serious work that really should be done by a gun smith. I mailed off three trigger assemblies a while back and had a professional do the work. They are all light, crisp, and they break really nice. That is an important ingredient for accuracy. I hate a rifle that doesn't have a good trigger. The old Remingtons had a great trigger. I've heard the new ones have an even better trigger.

One time I was antelope hunting. I had adjusted my triggers myself. I didn't put lock tight on the screws. My rifles were bouncing around in my jeep for a couple of days. When I went to close the bolt the firing pin went forward. It wouldn't stay cocked. So, that rifle was useless. I didn't have the tools I needed to fix it.

My other rifle had a cheap Tasco scope on it. It was out of zero, from all the bouncing around in that jeep. I had to resight it in, to continue on hunting. Sometimes you learn the hard way on what not to do while hunting. Those lessons aren't easily forgotten....

I've been looking at some guns on gunbroker.com. They have a huge selection to bid on. Do you have to pay a firearms dealer much cash to have them receive it for you?

Most gun stores will do the paperwork to make the transfer legal for $20-$25. Some charge a fee that is a percentage of the purchase price, like 10%, which can be a huge sum for an expensive rifle. Some of the best transfer deals are done by pawn shops which have a gun dealer's license.

GunBroker.com has a section on their web site listing FFL's, and their fee structures. Hunt that down, type in your zip code, and choose one that's the most convenient and/or cheapest.