skydemon2

New rifle

Ok since I cant talk guns in the bonfire Im thinking of getting a rifle for pig hunting. What do you gun nuts think of this set up?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/52850

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/99_353/products_id/37098
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

6 - 18x scope? How far away are you planning to be?

I actually know a good number of people that hog hunt with an AR and an EoTech. A couple also use a PVS-14 or PVS-22. One guy I know has a LaRue upper and lower, Noveske barrel, LaRue quad-rail, EoTech 556 with a T14 thermal that he uses to hunt hogs. Then again, he makes more money then I do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Probably not legal here..... It is Cali after all Im sure someone would sue the state to preserve the pigs sleepy time!

i'm no expert but i do have quite a few hunting specific rifles.;)
Personally i would buy a caliber that was a little easier to find everywhere, like 30-06, 270, etc. or even one of the short mags, they are becoming easier and easier to find ammo for. As for the scope, do you plan on hunting at night for pigs? if so i would recommend a scope with a 50mm adjustable objective rather than a 40mm. The 50 will let in more light during those dawn/dusk situations and even at night. For the rifle itself, it is hard to go wrong with a Rem 700 action. There are others on here that will suggest some exotic custom or something else, but for the money, give me a 700 any day for hunting.B|

Edit to add, i also knew someone would suggest an evil black rifle for hog hunting:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

6 - 18x scope? How far away are you planning to be?

I shot a friends rifle that had a 3x9 and I thought I wanted some more magnification. I know for a wierd short shot I may have troubles. Im assuming most shots will be 75 yrds to 300ish.

Seems like they are on every corner and hiding under the over passes on the freeway....... Ok ok just kidding......:P

They are spread out through out the state mostly in the center part of the state.

The 7mm-08 is pretty common its been around a long time its basically a 308 necked dowm to a 7mm bullet both of which can be obtained pretty easy and RCBS makes a die to resize the neck so even if it becomes hader to find I can reload the brass I have or make my own.

The round gives a great range of options and a super flat trajectory. It can be used for small and big game and doesnt have the huge recoil associated with the bigger rifles, 300 win mag. So Im getting it for pig but I want it for a good al around rifle.

I was having a hard time deciding on the 40 or 50 but Im leaning to the 40. The Nikons in this line have great reviews for both clarity and low light uses.

The rifle is a year old but it still has the Remingtons newly redesigned trigger assembly which people say is amazing! It is also shorter than the standard 700 thats its based on which I like cause Im short...

Ok since I cant talk guns in the bonfire Im thinking of getting a rifle for pig hunting. What do you gun nuts think of this set up?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/52850

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/99_353/products_id/37098

DUUUUDE.. go for a caliber that is a tad more common. than a 7MM-08:S:S... .308 aka 7.62 NATO... in the long run more of a selection of bullet weights... and a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot.

7mm-08 is very easily made or purchased.
260rem is another fine choice

If you really want a bolt gun, make sure it is a short action and that you get as solid a scope mount as possible.

FN makes a fine barreled action and you choose the stock for yourself

You can possibly find a remington 760 or 7600 and accurize it.

I have one that will shoot under 1moa and 1/2 moa if I do my job.

That is in 270win and due to the pump action I do not have to lift my cheek in order to cycle it.

The other thing is that they never realized that they made the worlds first free floating bbl rifle.

It needs a slight trigger job and fire lapping

They come in .308 .270, 30-06, .257roberts and I hear there is someone making new bbls for them

If I ever wear this one out I might make it into a .260 remington

when you get the rifle give me a call.

Select a rifle for it's attributes not for a sales pitch or word of mouth

if you can remove the bbl fairly easy that is a huge plus.

If you want the muzzle threaded contact me I have something that will make you very happy in that you will spot your own hits.

DUUUUDE.. go for a caliber that is a tad more common. than a 7MM-08:S:S... .308 aka 7.62 NATO... in the long run more of a selection of bullet weights... and a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot.

Are you kidding me? This is a very popular caliber and has a longggggg history. Pricing is comparable with other popular rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm-08_Remington

7mm-08 is very easily made or purchased.
260rem is another fine choice

If you really want a bolt gun, make sure it is a short action and that you get as solid a scope mount as possible.

FN makes a fine barreled action and you choose the stock for yourself

You can possibly find a remington 760 or 7600 and accurize it.

I have one that will shoot under 1moa and 1/2 moa if I do my job.

That is in 270win and due to the pump action I do not have to lift my cheek in order to cycle it.

The other thing is that they never realized that they made the worlds first free floating bbl rifle.

It needs a slight trigger job and fire lapping

They come in .308 .270, 30-06, .257roberts and I hear there is someone making new bbls for them

If I ever wear this one out I might make it into a .260 remington

I never got the whole.. "I have to have every possible caliber in the sierra manual" kinda thing. I know a retired CMSGT who goes one further and turns evererything into an Ackley improved.

I supppose anything necked down on .308 brass is ok.. but DAYUM... I go with the thought of can I find the ammo on the shelf of the general store out in the boonies on a Sunday morning or not.

I do just because.

Different tools for different jobs.

I love the .308 it has served me very well, heck it may have saved my life,

But the availability of .308 is scary, the hoarders have gone mad.

.308 will do nearly every job there is to do, but there are others in that category.

Look for bullet weights in the 120-150 grain region and select the range you will be shooting.

Then factor in the animal you are shooting and the speed they travel at, especially broadside to you.

Then factor in leads at distances.

Then you will have your answer.

something that gets to range 1 second faster is a huge plus.

Less lead is always good.

Heck I have killed a few deer in my time but not everyone is going to establish 2.5 body lengths and drop it right through the heart.

A 6.5 Grendel is a hell of cartridge, not the fastest off the line but after 400-700 yds it is going faster than a .308

Plus it is in an AR15

You can get a 14.5" bbl with a WCI brake on it pinned.

That gives you a 17" bbl and the 6.5 performs well out of shorter bbls and that rifle will handle like a dream

here is a picture of that setup

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/warped60120/P3230036.jpg

A 6.5 Grendel is a hell of cartridge, not the fastest off the line but after 400-700 yds it is going faster than a .308

Plus it is in an AR15

You can get a 14.5" bbl with a WCI brake on it pinned.

That gives you a 17" bbl and the 6.5 performs well out of shorter bbls and that rifle will handle like a dream

here is a picture of that setup

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/warped60120/P3230036.jpg

Sweet..... I knew those square boxes in the walls had to have a purpose besides heat, makes a nice rifle holder!! B|

I wonder if it would be legal in Cali?

nothing wrong with the Remington but look at the Winchester Model 70, FN is now manufacturing them and the quality is great
- prefer the 270 WSM caliber, fast and flat, plenty of stopping power
- definitely don't like the scope, Nikon makes good stuff but there is much better for the same or less money, forget the BDC
- check the Meopta line, started in 1936, in 1992 they privatised and remain the only optical enterprise in Czech Republic. Became a supplier of major optical companies wolrdwide. They make the lenses for Swarovski.
- go with the Meostar R1, if you want a 40 mm they have the 4-12x40, but consider the 3-10x50, great quality, low price
- i've got a Leopold 3.5-10x40 that I love but the Meostar beats it by a mile
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Don't be such a poof. Gey yourself a hunting knife , tie it to a stick and go Rambo
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Remington 700's come in so many different models these days that it is hard to keep up with all of them. I own probably four or five of them (in different models and calibers). Actually most of them are BDL's. They are a super rifle for the money. With a little work, and the right handload you can make them even more accurate. Right out of the box they normally shoot great, even with factory ammo.

The first Remington 700 BDL that I bought sold for around $135. I can't believe they cost close to $900. now. I'm thinking of buying one with a fluted barrel. I like stainless and laminated stocks too. I just hate to lay out that much cash for another rifle.

The model that you have pictured looks like it comes with a shorter, light weight barrel. This would be nice for short quick shots. I've never hunted pigs, but I'd bet a close range shot, in thick brush, could happen quite often. This gun might work well for that. It would also be lighter to pack around.

If you are planning on a long range gun, I'd want a longer, heavier barrel. It's really tough to get maximum velocity out of a short barrel. I'd want at least a 22 inch barrel in 270, or 30/06.

But a 20 inch barrel might be long enough in a 7mm/08. I'd check that out in a reloading manual, though. A 7mm/08 is fast and flat shooting. Their might be better cartridges for shooting through thick brush. It just depends on the type of hunting you are likely to run into. It's hard to pick an ideal brush gun, and still have one that will shoot flat for long range shots....

I bought my wife a 243 years ago in a short barrelled Remington. I wish I'd bought a 7mm/08. I think it would work better on deer sized animals than a 243.

I think a 7mm/08 is a great cartridge... It might be harder to find ammo for it than some other cartridges. If you reload you won't have to worry about that....

I have a 3X9 scope on most of my hunting rifles. Three power works well for close shots. Just don't forget and leave it on nine power. That's too much magnification for close up work. Nine power is plenty good enough for long shots, while hunting.....

Right on about the power settings.

People have tacticulitis and will go for as much magnification as they can get.

You need as low a power as you can get with a maximum of as much as you can afford.

There are 5x multipliers out there but they cost huge sums.

A 4x multiplier is very good and more affordable.

a great scope setup is 2.5-10x or 3.5-12x

leave it on low power and if you need the magnification you will also have time to crank it up.

If you need lower power there will never be time to crank it down

A scope with stadia lines or MilDots is great if you learn to range with it and use it for hold offs.

Target knobs are nice but nearly useless in hunting, unless you have an animal standing still and you are very fast at making the adjustments.

That takes a lot of practice.

If the animal runs your adjustments just went useless.