shropshire

Ghurkas get an improved chance to stay in the U.K

ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

Gordon Brown's government has suffered a shock defeat in the Commons on its policy of restricting the right of many former Gurkhas to settle in the UK.

MPs voted by 267 to 246 for a Lib Dem motion offering all Gurkhas equal right of residence, with the Tories and 27 Labour rebels backing it.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg called the government's position "shameful".

Immigration minister Phil Woolas told MPs new proposals would be published before Parliament's summer recess.

Clicky

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

What was the government's argument? They seem more than happy to dole out money to useless chavs and hand out council houses to people who are nothing but a drain on our society and yet they drag these men, who have given more for this country than any of the aforementioned scum, through the dirt for years.

I've really lost patience with this government and I'm pleased to see them beaten here.

What was the government's argument?

Saw a little bit of PMs question time today, Gordo was pretty much saying that before Tony's government Ghurkas had no immigration rights at all, so they should just be grateful to Gordo and Tony for being given anything. And that the Government couldn't afford to do any more than they were proposing anyway. And that anyone suggesting that hardly any Ghurkas would actually be able to meet the criteria they were proposing was obviously wrong.

Load of bullshit, basically.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm not really up on this, but, um, aren't those guys veterans of your army? And the policy before this has been not to allow them into the country? I'm confused as to what's going on there.

As you should be.

It's a shameful travesty that our nation is so ungrateful these people who have volunteered to serve it[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I guess that one of my problems with the government is that people (all people) shouldn't have to fight and protest for the respect that they have rightly earned.

At least now, we are moving in the right direction, at long last.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Shame on the government. The Gurkas have been treated appalingly by the UK Gov over the years. They are without doubt some of the finest soldiers i have ever known. Equal rights for Gurkas NOW!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

In the UK veterans are treated like shit by the Gov and society in general. Its shameful.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I guess that one of my problems with the government is that people (all people) shouldn't have to fight and protest for the respect that they have rightly earned.

At least now, we are moving in the right direction, at long last.

t

I was always amazed that Britain let in so many other immigrants from its Commonwealth.. but refused the same rights to these men who have done so much.

'm not really up on this, but, um, aren't those guys veterans of your army?

Yes, but they are Nepalese, not British citizens. That being said, I'm glad to see how its turning out.

In the US, joining the military is a shortcut to citizenship. Is it not that way in the UK?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No. other than the Gurkas you either have to be a Uk citizen or a Commenwealth citizen to join HM Forces. The only other exception is if you are an Irish citizen. Commonwealth citizens can apply for a UK passport after 5 years residence in the UK.

Since 22 Nov 06 eligible Commonwealth citizens serving in the Regular element of the UK Armed Forces have been able to count their service, at home and overseas, towards the 5 year residency criteria for applications for British citizenship whilst still serving providing they meet the other Home Office criteria . Applications including passing the ‘Life in the UK Test’ and the payment of the fee, are a personal matter between the individual and the Home Office. Once the serving soldier has successfully gained UK citizenship, dependants may initially apply for 2 years’ leave as the spouse/civil partner of a British citizen and then settlement also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR normally gives recourse to public funds and generally precludes the need to purchase further UK visas. Once dependants have obtained ILR, they too may apply for naturalisation providing they have by that stage been resident in the UK for at least 3 years. Time spent accompanying their spouse on service overseas may also count towards the three-year UK residency requirement.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This is good news, and the government's bleating about the potential cost of a £1bn (almost bound to be a massive exaggeration) is hilarious when you consider the untold billions that have been flushed into the latrine that is the banking system. At least with the Gurkhas you'd get a people who have already proven their worth to society.

I hope Phil Woolas is considering his position after the titanic balls-up he's made of this.