wolfriverjoe

Shooting range

This was in the Bonfire, but the rules are pretty clear, so I am starting this.

Just finished the breakfast dishes, enjoying a cup of coffee too.

The sun is shining, temp moving past 40 heading for 50s.

A couple more "house" things to do, then the dog and I are going for a walk.

I get to spend all afternoon down at the shooting range (I work as the safety officer)

Spring may have actually arrived in Wisconsin.

But Skittles is right. Around here, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes, it'll get worse.

That's what my Dad does as his "stay busy" retirement job. He manages our county pistol range... mostly law enforcement, some civilians. I LOVE hanging out there with him when I can. Me loves shooting ....

Yes, I get to hang out at the range and get paid for it. Less than minimum wage, but I'm not doing it for the money. Other than "silly season" (sight in time, before deer hunting) It's really relaxed, standing around talking about guns, shooting all that.

Here's my third home (after the house and the DZ)
http://www.kaukaunasc.com/index.html

I had a fun experience yesterday: A guy brought his nephew (older teenager) shooting for the first time. He shot a 22 rifle, .32 pistol and a 9mm pistol. The uncle had a .357 revolver too, but after seeing a few rounds fired out of it the nephew declined. We all agreed it was probably the smartest decision. The kid had a lot of fun, shot reasonably well for the first time, and was safe.
One of my favorite things down there is seeing first-timers have a good experience.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My favorite shooting experience was when I took a coworker out shooting. He has fled from Vietnam and came to the US with his parents at age 13. Their boat was shot up by pirates and all their valuables were stolen along the way. He ended being the first college graduate (ME) from his family. He was understandably very afraid of guns, but thought it'd be interesting to learn about them. After the intro/safety stuff he fired my AR, AK, Sig 9mm, .22, shotgun, etc. He smiled the entire time:)

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

This was in the Bonfire, but the rules are pretty clear, so I am starting this.

Just finished the breakfast dishes, enjoying a cup of coffee too.

The sun is shining, temp moving past 40 heading for 50s.

A couple more "house" things to do, then the dog and I are going for a walk.

I get to spend all afternoon down at the shooting range (I work as the safety officer)

Spring may have actually arrived in Wisconsin.

But Skittles is right. Around here, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes, it'll get worse.

That's what my Dad does as his "stay busy" retirement job. He manages our county pistol range... mostly law enforcement, some civilians. I LOVE hanging out there with him when I can. Me loves shooting ....

Yes, I get to hang out at the range and get paid for it. Less than minimum wage, but I'm not doing it for the money. Other than "silly season" (sight in time, before deer hunting) It's really relaxed, standing around talking about guns, shooting all that.

Here's my third home (after the house and the DZ)
http://www.kaukaunasc.com/index.html

I had a fun experience yesterday: A guy brought his nephew (older teenager) shooting for the first time. He shot a 22 rifle, .32 pistol and a 9mm pistol. The uncle had a .357 revolver too, but after seeing a few rounds fired out of it the nephew declined. We all agreed it was probably the smartest decision. The kid had a lot of fun, shot reasonably well for the first time, and was safe.
One of my favorite things down there is seeing first-timers have a good experience.
Here is mine. >http://madtrigger.net/rockpilesteel/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1Gonna go shoot bunny rabbits for easter.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

My favorite shooting experience was when I took a coworker out shooting. He has fled from Vietnam and came to the US with his parents at age 13. Their boat was shot up by pirates and all their valuables were stolen along the way. He ended being the first college graduate (ME) from his family. He was understandably very afraid of guns, but thought it'd be interesting to learn about them. After the intro/safety stuff he fired my AR, AK, Sig 9mm, .22, shotgun, etc. He smiled the entire time:)

Isn't that nice. You must be a special warm-hearted person.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

This line:
"Advice or assistance FREE from our friendly range officers! Keeping quiet and letting you do your own thing may require additional fees!"
made me chuckle. :)
Looks like a great place.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

This line:

"Advice or assistance FREE from our friendly range officers! Keeping quiet and letting you do your own thing may require additional fees!"
made me chuckle. :)
Looks like a great place.

/Marg

Yeah, one of the guys who used to be a RO (he moved away) caused an occasional problem by "helping" a bit too enthusiastically. He was a trained gunsmith, and was very capable, but failed to realize that his help wasn't always wanted. He also talked a lot, and sometimes was so focused on talking to the shooters that they had to tell him to shut up so they could shoot.:D:D

Along with the shooting, we are near a nature preserve, and we get a lot of wildlife (OFF LIMITS to the shooters). Watching the whitetail fawns playing around out between the 75 and 100 yd target backstops is always funny. A lot of hawks and bald eagles fly over too. I saw an eagle with a snake in its talons fly by last summer.B|
If I'm lucky, I can open up on a summer morning and have a little while to just sit and enjoy before any shooters show up.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My range has been fighting the typical nasty neighbor problems for years (just like drop zones). The neighbors claimed safety issues since there wasn't a full-time range safety officer on duty all the time.

Solution: The range simply trains each new member to be a range safety officer so any time a member is shooting, there is a range safety officer on duty.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling