Hausse

Your religious background

An atheist is someone who does not believe in God; This is NOT the same as "believing there is no God".

yes it is - the semantics you put up there are meaningless

but I'd write it 'god', not "God", since a real atheist would believe there is no kind of deity or higher powers of any kind - and avoid the childish arguments the personify the deity because they don't explain the atheist's belief, only rationalize the disbelief using disdain - they'd have no religion of any kind, no 'spirituality', no 'karma' beliefs, nothing of any kind. pure facts only. at least that would be respectable

I don't think I've ever really met someone that fits that bill of sale that calls themselves atheist. Quite a few agnostics (gnostics, whatever) maybe, but not the others.

What you seem to be describing is strong atheism. Weak atheism, is simply the lack of a belief in god(s). In the set of all people, the subset who believe in god(s) are called theists, the remainder are atheists.

- I call them athagworshapeonistavists

not to be confused with the Latter Day Athagworshapeonistavists (or LD - athagpeons for short - or even the LDAAWP's) who also confront and mock, but add hitting their opponents with chocolate cream pies at random intervals

LDAAWP's is pronouced "LidAHHHHHHHWWWWWWPs -sneh buh" with a rising tone on AHHHHHHWWWWW

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Nurse! He's out of bed again!

:P:D

that came from a good reply to the proceeding post, but then I meant to reply to that one, instead hit edit and lost the original...[:/][:/][:/]

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

An atheist is someone who does not believe in God; This is NOT the same as "believing there is no God".

yes it is - the semantics you put up there are meaningless

There can be, and often is, a huge difference between not believing in a god and believing there is no god. Do you really not see it?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

There can be, and often is, a huge difference between not believing in a god and believing there is no god. Do you really not see it?

There can be, and often is, a piddling and non-consequential difference between not believing in a god and believing there is no god. Do you really not see it?

so, anyway - I also wanted to note that the world divided between believers and disbelievers is pretty binary and discounts those that don't know, don't care, and those that just like to take whatever position stirs the pot relative the others in the room. Agnostifarians like to ignore the clutter and just spend time braiding their hair and acting like it's cool because of the drums they play. Athenopundits can't decide if they are anti-god, or appreciate strong greek women.

etc

There can be, and often is, a piddling and non-consequential difference between not believing in a god and believing there is no god. Do you really not see it?

No. Every time I look for such a relation, logic gets in the way.

what you don't concede, similar to those of a religious bent as well, is that to understand the other's viewpoint, you have to concede their perspective. (those that take themselves seriously about religion tend to preach to the choir:o so to speak) So to debate mine, you have to understand my viewpoint is that I don't know, nor do I care either way. Thus, QED, ipso facto, epluribus unum incantatum...... that wordsmithing on the issue of religion (pro or con) is piddly nonsense designed solely by the practitioners to reinforce whatever belief system gets them through the day. And I say, GOOD FOR THEM. If that's what it takes, then I'm cool with it.

Except..... when conflicting factions are so stubborn about who gets to be the most self righteous about it, that they argue, are rude or go to war over it, or even just stick a foot out to trip someone just to be mean. Then it really stinks. especially those atheoislamajudeochristianhindubuddihindioniticatheoenviroisticans.

I lied about the foot thing - it's funny when it's someone else.

and don't even get me started on those smug little apathetic agnostics - hiding behind their little attitudes of not having any "proof" such that they won't commit - it's just a facade about the hollowness of their empty shells - karma will get them - a big old spagetti bowl of karma - yeah

I have to parse that. So if you don't see a relation, then you agree?

What about Bebegonda?

Hey! She was on my intramural coed softball team in college.

Small world.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

so, anyway - I also wanted to note that the world divided between believers and disbelievers is pretty binary and discounts those that don't know, don't care, and those that just like to take whatever position stirs the pot relative the others in the room.

Well, the world is pretty binary. For most religions belief in God itself is not what defines the religion (as otherwise it would be no difference between Catholicism and Islam). The religion is about whether you follow some ritual or not. For example if you look on Christianity-based religions, the rules are pretty simple - either you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, or not. If you don't know or don't care, this means you do not accept Jesus, and therefore you will not be saved. You, however, still might believe in God, you just don't care - like those priests guilty of some perverse acts. You might also believe in God, but do not really know (which means you believe "just in case").
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I have to parse that. So if you don't see a relation, then you agree?

I agree with the other poster's assertion that there is an important difference between not believing in a god and believing that no god exists.

Believing no god exists implies not believing in a god. However, not believing in a god does not imply believing no god exists. Apparently I also agree with logic.

Thus, to answer your question, yes, I agree, just not with you. :o:D