Hausse

Your religious background

I grew up in a house where religion was not discussed (mom believes and thinks that it's personal, so keeps it to her selfB|) and I do not believe at all.

I was Christened (as were my bothers and sister) as a babe but do think that is relevant or that this ceremony should ever be performed without the subjects (me) approval or input.

Religion plays zero part in my life. I don't see an option in the pole that covers me or people like me, so I did not vote.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

i voted first, my parents never were really religious, and except for the usual stuff like baptising, confirmation and what not (i'm catholic), i never went to church besides the school-stuff.

anyway, i've had some experiences that led me to believe there IS a higher upper. but probably more in a buddhist way of thinking.

i'd rather like to call myself spiritual than religious.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I grew up in the household of a clergyman who is a biblical scholar. My mother is more outwardly religious than my father. I went to mass daily as a teenager.
In my early adulthood I saw the light. I overcame the darkness and superstition of my upbringing and became a rational man.

Well I was really mostly concerned about christianity and not at all sorry if I forgot you, fucker!

The options I would like to add but can't figure out how to are:

I grew up in a strict christian house hold and am still christian
I grew up in a strict christian house hold and am not believing anymore.
I grew up in a religious but not strict house hold and am still christian.
I grew up in a religious but not strict house hold and am not believing anymore.

i grew up pentecostal christian for 16 years and right around 2 years ago on my 22 birthday I started using my head instead of going with the flow. Through lots and lots of real historic research, anthropology journals and books I have realized that is all an idea that was accidentally taken the wrong way. I am not atheist. An atheist is someone who says God does not exist. That's equally as bad as the people who says he does. Nobody knows. It's foolishness to say that one person does. Unless that person has special powers that I don't. I don't believe in a God or Gods. Do they exist? Who knows. But logically speaking I believe that they do not. Religion has evolved at the same pace as society. Before that it was animism, for almost 100,000 years, (the belief that your energy, after you die, is absorbed into the earth and flows through all life around. That is what I believe happens and rationality and science says it does also). Needing to be saved by a savior is not inherent to humanity. It is based on conditions created by man due to the historical evolution of war, famine, population based disease, etc. My sister is currently taking an ancient Judaism class at UPITT and was telling me about how they "added" the idea of heaven and hell for power and control as people were so superstitious on what happens after death. Pretty crazy shit. Created for superstitious people then and superstitious people are still buying it. Also, did anyone know that the idea of a resurrection wasn't even added until 690AD. Pretty nuts. Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, Krishna, etc. were all just activist hippies that were taken the wrong way. Great message of peace and love but no "magical" stuff. The way i look at it is if there were really one God and one way there would be. Not thousands of different religions. Christianity alone has over 34,000 sects. If people really knew why the OT was written in 1,200 BC then they would have NO CHOICE as a rational, freethinking human but to dismiss the NT and all the "divinity and fairy tale" stuff.

Holy shot. sorry about the tangent. Religion and politics. Go hand in hand but people can talk forever. No I am not a believing christian anymore. I am now a more rational person who thinks for himself and has never felt better!!!

Religion plays zero part in my life. I don't see an option in the pole that covers me or people like me, so I did not vote.

ditto

(raised Catholic, took the classes, understand a lot about various religions, and I really don't know, don't care, doesn't bother me if others do or don't - so no choice for apathetic agnostic)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

i'd rather like to call myself spiritual than religious.. :)

IMO - that statement is such a crock. Equivalent to saying "I'm not religious, but I believe in Karma"

it's religion in so far as it's beliefs that are not underpinned in any way

So, religion, I guess, just not "Religion"

VB - not picking on you, you were just first in the thread to throw out that very common chestnut.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

IMO - that statement is such a crock. Equivalent to saying "I'm not religious, but I believe in Karma"

I really have to bite my tongue when I hear that. "Oh really? So you believe that everything that happens to us we deserve because we earned it in a past life? So you realise that those starving kids on the TV are reaping justice from their past actions? You're OK with Paris Hilton being stinking rich 'cause, you know, she deserves it?" Ain't Karma a bitch?