ChangoLanzao

Skydiving is bad for the environment

Well yeah, if they got it off istockphoto, they can do that ...

They didn't get it from iStock. They got it from Insight NYC, according to the byline, who may or may not have got it legally. ;) They could have got a legal copy for less than $1.

It was just interesting to find one of my photos used in an article that disparages our sport >:(

Oh come on. It's hard to deny that skydiving is pretty eco-intensive. We burn jet fuel or avgas for the heck of it. It's not the worst, but it's a whole lot more damaging than going for a walk.

His classification of skydiving as one of the 7 worst is pretty subjective, and unbounded. But it's definitely the most damaging of my hobbies.

Just because we like the sport doesn't make criticizing it incorrect.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

that's the most lame article i have ever seen.

i hope the writer wears nothing but recycled paper, lives in a mud hut and eats his own shit.

The funny thing is that by there beliefs the internet is bad for the environment. I bet the internett is by far alot worse than all those sports combined. Fucking idiots!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Oh come on. It's hard to deny that skydiving is pretty eco-intensive. We burn jet fuel or avgas for the heck of it. It's not the worst, but it's a whole lot more damaging than going for a walk.

His classification of skydiving as one of the 7 worst is pretty subjective, and unbounded. But it's definitely the most damaging of my hobbies.

Wendy W.

So is growing food and raising animals to eat or even animals in the wild maybe we should kill all animals and quit groing food??? I have no problem with there ignorant opinions but if you should practice what you preach!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

>I bet the internett is by far alot worse than all those sports
>combined. Fucking idiots!

Please avoid political rants in this forum and stick to the skydiving aspects of the discussion.

I don't know if the rant is that far off. :P

Computer waste is a biotch. :P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

But at least he gives modest props to BASE jumping!

"...
1. Skydiving
Yup, this is performed as a competitive sport--there are actually sanctioned skydiving competitions. You may have seen them on ESPN, in fact. Unlike its more dangerous, more sustainable cousin, Base jumping, skydiving requires a fossil fuel-spewing flight for every leg of the competition. That's a lot of fueling and refueling.
..."

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

funny i was goin to put that in my post.

yes, the methane produced but just one cow n a year is a LOT. i can't be bothered looking it up but it's a valid point, also the deforestation that goes along with, esp in brazil, for cattle grazing.

an Argentinean study found that probably 30 percent of its total greenhouse emissions were being caused by cows, and that they estimated a cow could generate up to 35 cubic feet of methane per day (source Reuters).

so there you go, stop eating beef and jump [email]all you want.

*edit ok ok so i can be bothered to look it up
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

Yeah, that writer is full of crap.

While skydiving may consume more fuel per participant then, say, soccer. He ignores the fuel consumed by the millions of fans who drive to soccer stadiums around the world every week. Therefore, the impact of soccer as a whole, makes skydiving look like a drop in the bucket.

He's wrong about hunting too.

What really gets me is that they used one of MY PHOTOS without permission and without attribution. :o

Sheesh!

That is to be expected from such a narrow minded hypocrite as this clown obviously is. He should consider the amount of fossil fuel burned by(and the poisonous byproducts spewed out of) the engines of the last airliner he rode on; probably enough to power the Twin Otter I jump out of for the next year. And he SHOULD pay you for your picture, even if it is only a dollar.

As far as auto and air racing goes, many technological advances that have had a widespread effect our everyday impact on the enviroment have come from racing. Fuel injection, for example. Advancements in tire technology that allow safer driving on tires that last longer. Metallurgy that gives us lighter stronger cars and airplanes that burn less fuel.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I've always known we're not the greenest sport on the block. But BASE being more ecologically sustainable has to make me laugh - all those dead BASE jumpers have to be buried or cremated somewhere.

I just read that the amount of fuel burned to generate the electricity for people who leave their computers on overnight is staggering. Now THAT's something we can all pitch in and do - shut yer 'pooter down before bedtime.

But I'm not going to let some pc wonderchild who's scared of heights tell me I have to stop. At least I'm not drag racing with a nitro car (not that there's anything wrong with that either....).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

So what the author is saying is that when considering any sport which people like to watch live you need to take into account the fact that fans have to drive to a venue in order to watch a game. If that's the case then about the only environmentally friendly sports left will be watching paint dry and stamp collecting. Jeeze did he even ever stop to think about the millions on amps used by poor suckers like us clicking on his article, amps that could have been saved just by him keeping his big mouth shut?

This thread is the perfect example of why the environment is so fucked in the first place. Everyone has this attitude that whatever they're doing is ok as long as there is someone else doing something worse.

I think we all know by now that flying a cargo plane all day isn't good for the environment. I doubt any of us are about to give up the sport because of this, but we can at least take some responsibility and try and compensate in other ways.

This thread is the perfect example of why the environment is so fucked in the first place. Everyone has this attitude that whatever they're doing is ok as long as there is someone else doing something worse.

I think we all know by now that flying a cargo plane all day isn't good for the environment. I doubt any of us are about to give up the sport because of this, but we can at least take some responsibility and try and compensate in other ways.

I'll plant a tree for every jump I make. How's that sound? :P

Unlike its more dangerous, more sustainable cousin, Base jumping,

The author's knowledge is astounding. If he wants to make a couple of BASE jumps without going through an AFF course first, more power to him. I'll smile and drink a beer in his honor.:D
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything