jclalor

4 Oakland police killed

Oakland PD probably has the toughest beat in the Bay area. Regardless of their reputation by other PD's, these four guys did their best to protect the citizens. I'm sure there are some extremely dedicated officers on their department trying to make a difference. One agency badmouthing another is an age old tradition, usually without much merit.

Sure, I repeat it one more time as well. that ignorance doesn't need to be perpetuated by you.

Well, other people seem to be able to parse posts a little better than you, so we'll leave it there.

There's a candlelight vigil tonight and a memorial in Oakland for the shooter. If that doesn't illuminate the point I was making, I guess nothing else will.

A candle light vigil is completely worthless and quite honestly nothing but lip service.

What needs to be done is that community needs to take their city back from the criminals that roam t6he streets.

That would be the proper way to honor the fallen.

Attack the courts for letting the guy out repeatedly, if it were not for them all five of those people would be alive.

Does anyone have any knowledge of police/SWAT team tactics in these situations? I admit that I have none whatsoever. Would it have been better to defuse the situation by simply waiting the guy out? Why charge in with guns blazing against some guy who is already crazy enough to have killed 2 cops?

Oakland PD probably has ONE OF the toughest beats in the COUNTRY...

altered it a bit. I worked over in OAK for 2.5 years, not too far from this shooting in fact. That place is rough. If sh*t like this didn't happen, the cops wouldn't be so on edge and some of the other shootings may not have occured.

I mean really? popping 2 cops in the face for a parole violation then executing them? No one deserves that. If the people in the area they patrol act like this, obviously police will be much more firm and quicker to use force to avoid dying for a traffic stop... Don't break the law and you won't get shot, how hard is that to comprehend?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgXjA2BLEY

Yeah... welcome to intellectual america, that's the 510 in a nutshell.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

There's a candlelight vigil tonight and a memorial in Oakland for the shooter. If that doesn't illuminate the point I was making, I guess nothing else will.

It illustrates that many people in Oakland are fucking idiots, who deserve the crime they live in. And since these people are prone to rioting, no one will show up to counter protest for the real victims of this day.

The only news links I can find about the vigil are clear that the candlelight vigil is in honor of the four officers, not the shooter. I'm certainly not dismissing your point that my new hometown has some pretty fucked-up police/citizen relationships, but the candlelight vigil argument doesn't prove it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102280156

The city of Oakland, Calif., is holding a candlelight vigil Tuesday to honor three police officers killed in the line of duty and a fourth officer who was declared brain dead after a weekend shootout with a parole violator after a routine traffic stop.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/24/BA7916M0AJ.DTL&tsp=1

A vigil for the officers will be held at 6 p.m. tonight at 74th and MacArthur. A public funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the Oracle Arena, 7000 Coliseum Way, Oakland.

Now, of course, if the protesters outnumber the mourners tonight ... I'll say you've made a good point. :S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The only news links I can find about the vigil are clear that the candlelight vigil is in honor of the four officers, not the shooter.

Um, I read that as "there is a candle light vigil, and, separately, there is a memorial for the shooter."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Um, I read that as "there is a candle light vigil, and, separately, there is a memorial for the shooter."

Yeah, rereading it seems I read that wrong. Perhaps someone should take away my SC posting badge since I just admitted a mistake. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, rereading it seems I read that wrong. Perhaps someone should take away my SC posting badge since I just admitted a mistake. ;)

I think you read it accurately, as written. Neither article said anything about a memorial, also. What do we want to remember about a robbing, raping, killing, 3+ strikes punk, other than to be happy he didn't have a kid with his wife?

I think you read it accurately, as written. Neither article said anything about a memorial, also. What do we want to remember about a robbing, raping, killing, 3+ strikes punk, other than to be happy he didn't have a kid with his wife?

He may have been all that. And many might truly think "good riddance," but there is the possibility that someone is still mourning his death. Someone that maybe didn't rob, rape, kill or be a 3+ strikes punk.... someone that is grieving and in pain. That is who the memorial is truly for. Even though he might not have become everything that a mother would have dreamed for her newborn boy... she will still probably miss him.

This situation is sad all around.

Factoid: Judges only control sentences. Parole boards grant, or deny, parole, and they generally make those decisions independent of the judiciary.

Not sure the point you're trying to make here.

Can they impose additional sentences on parole violators, or just reimpose the remainder of the original sentence?

It illustrates that many people in Oakland are fucking idiots.

It also illustrates that being armed with a gun and and trained in its use is not a sure defense against an armed criminal, contrary to popular opinion around here.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Factoid: Judges only control sentences. Parole boards grant, or deny, parole, and they generally make those decisions independent of the judiciary.

Not sure the point you're trying to make here.

That blaming judges for a person being on parole is really not accurate. Yes, judges do impose, and thus are responsible for, sentences (although there are usually guidelines that account for severity of crime and prior record). But in most jurisdictions, it is the parole board, not a judge, which decides whether an imprisoned person will or will not be granted parole.

Can they impose additional sentences on parole violators, or just reimpose the remainder of the original sentence?

Once a person has been sentenced, the sentence is generally final (after a brief appeal deadline). Usually, that means that all that can be done to a parole violator - with respect to the sentence for which he's on parole - is to lock him back up on the remainder of his sentence. (Of course, if the violation is a new offense, he can be sentenced separately on the new offense. But not all parole violations are for a new offense - some are "technical violations" - breaking of parole conditions - that do not necessarily involve a new offense.)

Weather the gun was legal or not to begin with should not matter, making a gun accept detachable high capacity magazines takes only a short period of time. The chance of it coming from across the boarder is almost none.
This situation is a serious bummer, the average citizen of oakland needs to wake the fuck up and go to school or something, get a GED. Maybe then they will understand that it isn't cool to be a fucking idiot who talks so ghetto that they can't be understood by 95% of english speakers, and sell drugs for a living. Oh, and slappin a ho. Can't forget about an oaklander's favorite hobby.

It illustrates that many people in Oakland are fucking idiots.

It also illustrates that being armed with a gun and and trained in its use is not a sure defense against an armed criminal, contrary to popular opinion around here.

Good luck finding a single posting in SC that ever said that, Jerry.

BTW, the fact that he was about to be arrested and taken to jail for life was the lead reason for what he did. Unlikely to happen to civilians, unless they were 12 year old girls he wanted to rape.

Is that true in all jurisdictions?

It's true in California (where this happened), and the Federal system, as well as most states with which I'm familiar.

I was just wondering if after the first 2 officers were shot and they then had the shooter isolated in an apartment. Why the SWAT team did not try every means to try to capture the shooter with out risking the lives of the SWAT team members.. They entered the apartment after only a 2 hour standoff and 2 more cops were killed.
I know being a cop is dangerous but should they have not tried all means possable? tear gas, cutting the power, communicate, have family members try and talk to him, wait him out etc etc etc.
I may be wrong but I feel in thier haste to get revenge, they ended up costing two more cops thier lives.

4 less STUPID nazi pigs.:)

Who would have been there to save your life if needed.
My 12.ga. loaded w/ tactical slugs or the Glock w/ 357 Sig maybe? ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

[reply
But the SKS isn't saleable in CA either

Yes it is. I'll agree it has to have the grenade launcher taken off and something tack welded over the barrel threads if it's a Yugoslavian one but apart from that it's perfectly legal to own one, within the limits imposed on any other long gun.

I could postulate he may have used an AK47 with a folding stock as he was able to deliver fatal rounds from a closet (confined space) but does that really matter? What's pertinent here is that he did what he did - the WHY and not the HOW is FAR more important. Clearly Oakland PD have a problem which requires years of work to resolve.

As for assertions the Avtomat Kalashnikov of 1947 might have come from Mexico - WTF? I'm not in California, but I fully legally own one I made myself from parts in my garage (it's REALLY easy) so I see no justification for blaming Mexico - after all they get most of theirs from the USA...

[reply
But the SKS isn't saleable in CA either

Yes it is. I'll agree it has to have the grenade launcher taken off and something tack welded over the barrel threads if it's a Yugoslavian one but apart from that it's perfectly legal to own one, within the limits imposed on any other long gun.

?? The SKS was the model that involved the force buyback/confiscation for those who registered them during the extended reg period. Are you referring to a 'new' renamed model that's essentially the same? And does it skirt about the 2001 updated AWB/registration bill?

Here's the predictable lunatic response from the anti-gun folks:

Bill calls for tracking of large-capacity weapon magazines
"Ammunition magazines with a capacity of 10 rounds or more — the kind that Oakland parolee Lovelle Mixon used to kill two of four police officers — would fall under a stricter tracking system under legislation proposed Wednesday by two East Bay lawmakers..."
Source: http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_11995689

So this is how the anti-gun folks think:

- The killer ignored laws about the crimes he previously committed.
- The killer ignored laws against armed assault in a previous crime.
- The killer ignored laws against child rape.
- The killer ignored laws against felons owning guns.
- The killer ignored laws against ownership of a so-called "assault weapon".
- The killer ignored laws about violating terms of parole.
- The killer ignored laws against murder.

But buy gosh, if we had just had a law requiring him to register his high-capacity ammunition magazines, then those four police officers would be alive today!

It's lunacy! This is how gun-o-phobes think. They actually believe that a law requiring registration of magazines is going to stop a murderer, where all the other laws against more serious crimes had already failed...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELkYk1Um71Y

I think this is the video, can't watch from work but should be it. Again, welcome to oakland... The only police force i feel for. Largely cuz they dont hassle me about being 10 over since they are actually after the real bad guys. Novel idea huh? I support OPD!

'and the poooooooolice caint stop us' great attitude...
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983