CSpenceFLY

Best motivational speech ever

Well, the speech writer was a bit misguided.... I just wonder the wisdom of the speech-delivery idiot who did not take into account that that police will be bearing arms shortly after his "motivational speech"
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Well, that could have been quite a funny gig..

Soldier : BLAAA BLAAA BLAAA BLAA[/B]

Translator : The fuck wit said that his piles are playing up, that's why he's acting like a Knob

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I was shocked, shocked by the cursing. So much for "an armed society is a polite society."

Anyhow, it sounded vaguely familiar, so I tried to remember where I'd heard that kind of speech given to "local forces" before. And then I remembered: we gave those same speeches ("Hello? How 'bout you fuckin' mama-sans do some of the fighting around here?") to the South Vietnamese "Army" during the "Vietnamization" phase. Hey, how'd that work out for them?

I imagine a lot of the language is due to the environment. They are mad, they are scared, they are stressed, and surrounded by danger.

Not the bets anology...but i find myself being quite a pottymouth in a group of skydivers as opposed to nonjumpers. (we call them "normies"):P

I cannot explain this phenomenon. Maybe there is an explaination on wikipedia or something.

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I imagine a lot of the language is due to the environment. They are mad, they are scared, they are stressed, and surrounded by danger..

I was saying it tongue-in-cheek.
OK I'll shut the F*** up now

Please don't ... altho' I thought there might be a question of historical parallelism in your initial reply that's worth exploring.

Might be wrong, of course -- both in my interepretation and the accuracy of the implied historical parallel.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I imagine a lot of the language is due to the environment. They are mad, they are scared, they are stressed, and surrounded by danger..

I was saying it tongue-in-cheek.
OK I'll shut the F*** up now

Please don't ... altho' I thought there might be a question of historical parallelism in your initial reply that's worth exploring.

Might be wrong, of course -- both in my interepretation and the accuracy of the implied historical parallel.

I think there are a great many parallels between what took place during "Vietnamization" back then, and Iraq today. I just hope enough of the top brass have learned the lessons of the failure of Vietnamization to do the ultimate transition-over in Iraq more successfully this time around - if that's possible.

Is that the "winning hearts and minds" strategy?

That was the "too stupid to realize that the Iraqis didn't ask anyone to come screw up their country for them" strategy.

I hope I wasn't the only one that saw the irony of the guy wearing Kevlar and carrying the semi/burst weapon calling everyone else cowards.

I thought the guy was a disgrace to the uniform he was wearing. I certainly hope he isn't representative of a typical US soldier.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I hope I wasn't the only one that saw the irony of the guy wearing Kevlar and carrying the semi/burst weapon calling everyone else cowards.

I thought the guy was a disgrace to the uniform he was wearing. I certainly hope he isn't representative of a typical US soldier.

It wouldn't matter either since you've already generated an opinion based on not knowing. :|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It wouldn't matter either since you've already generated an opinion based on not knowing. :|

I only formed an opinion about the asshat in the video, and that was not without reason.

He's certainly not representative of the typical soldier when I was in, but that's been well over a decade ago. There were a few troops with such attitudes, to be sure, but they were the exception, not the rule.

He may have given the correct speech at the correct time. My impression from having experienced it before is that he was given a platoon of dipshits and was trying to hit every button to get some kind of verbal/nonverbal reaction out of them to see where to begin fixing it... You'll notice he didn't shut down any questions.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

He may have given the correct speech at the correct time. My impression from having experienced it before is that he was given a platoon of dipshits and was trying to hit every button to get some kind of verbal/nonverbal reaction out of them to see where to begin fixing it... You'll notice he didn't shut down any questions.

Exactly. Have to tear through the walls and get a reaction. Those that respond are the ones that give a sh*t in my view. The others aren't sure, or don't want to do anything about it.

The speech/rant was the perfect catalyst. Forces quick thinking, forces the need for a quick reaction, forces the blood to pump, forces some type of emotional response....

As to JCD, you mean to tell me you never got yelled at when you were in? The speech in this video is a softball.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

His speech echos a familiar frustration. And Max is spot on in the analysis (as expected).

That soldier needs to talk to a few of my E6s. They got a toned-down version of the same speech just yesterday. (I was in a good mood).
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

As to JCD, you mean to tell me you never got yelled at when you were in?

As a battery, company or platoon? Not after about week three of basic training (actually OSUT,but that early it's the same as basic training). Leadership by example is far more effective.

My first commander at my permanent duty station was a third generation West Point graduate. His father and grandfather were both generals. He was an asshole. His unit being anything less than the best was unacceptable. I couldn't stand that fucker. He was also the single finest soldier I've ever encountered. There's no one I'd rather follow into combat. He knew that berating troops is a poor way to motivate them to do better. It's a lot like torture. It may work great in Hollywood, but in the real world, it's an inferior option.

If a single troop messes up, that troop is to blame. If an entire unit performs inadequately, it is due to poor training and leadership.

Is that the "winning hearts and minds" strategy?

Not at all. The statements about past historical parallels is on course in so much as that the "winning of hearts and minds" has been a SOF term and was used effectively in the past and currently by SOF while conventional units then and now approached it much in the way portrayed in the linked video. You must understand your operational environment and tailor your TTPs as such, otherwise your doomed to make the same mistakes made in the past and fail.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING