hwt

should pot be legal and taxed?

I voted yes. Legalize it. Tax it. Regulate it.
It would be a serious blow to the "war" on drugs, saving us tons of money. We'd have fewer people in prison for non violent crimes, saving us tons of money. It's been proven to have significant medicinal value. I don't view it as any worse than alcohol, actually I think it's less harmful than alcohol. It would be a significant source of revenue.

The whole war on drugs has been a fantastic failure.

Imagine the tax monies governments could reap by legalizing herb. We already regulate alcohol and tobacco fairly well. Seems adding gange to the mix wouldn't be that difficult.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

During the days of prohibition when the country outlawed alcohol,,,,nothing changed except certain very famous families made lots of money.
Most people say that if POT was legalized more people would smoke it,,,,I think this is wrong. More people don't drink because its legal. People will do what they want to no matter if its legal or not.

By making it legal the government could make money on it. It would stop allot of illegal activity out of it,,LIKE MURDER that is happening like hell lately south of the border. And also the DEA could be shut down saving billions of those dollars as well.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

Wouldn't go so far as dismissing the DEA. There's still alot of other drugs out there.

You're right. But at least the "WAR ON DRUGS" could be a little less costly to the country.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

I voted "no." I'm all for legalizing it, but could care less if it's taxed.

I think the price per ounce would lower if legalized , and agree with keeping the tax moderate as to lower the price per ounce and not raise it.:P

I voted "no." I'm all for legalizing it, but could care less if it's taxed.

Decriminalize it, "no new taxes."

Reminds me of a t-shirt I seen once.

"Support American agriculture, smoke homegrown."
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I voted yes because the violent crime associated with MJ trade is worse than the drug itself. I would like the War on Drugs to focus on the hard stuff.

Edit: Indeed. Tax it.

Edit#2: Growing for personal use should be allowed but only indoors. Think about it. If you could grow Jack Daniels in your backyard how quickly would that go bye-bye?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Legalized yes. Taxed no. There's to many taxes already. Just legalize or decriminalize it and give the people the option to grow their own for personal use. If everybody could grow their own, nobody would have to buy or sell. That doesn't mean I think that everybody should grow 500 plants. Just enough for your own consumption.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

> If everybody could grow their own, nobody would have to buy or sell.

People can grow their own tobacco, therefore no one buys or sells cigarettes, right? And people can brew their own beer, so there's no market for bottled beer in the US.

(I think there might be a flaw in your logic, there . . .)

I think that a good homegrown operation could compete with a professional batch just because of the individual attention. Think of it like people growing prize rose bushes. Home Brews suck because of the size of the operation. Don't know what to say about tobacco except that there isn't much you can do to improve the quality of a tobacco leaf.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I voted yes. Legalize it. Tax it. Regulate it.
It would be a serious blow to the "war" on drugs, saving us tons of money. We'd have fewer people in prison for non violent crimes, saving us tons of money. It's been proven to have significant medicinal value. I don't view it as any worse than alcohol, actually I think it's less harmful than alcohol. It would be a significant source of revenue.

Agreed, and well said.

Legalize it and tax it is my vote.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I see your point. But I'm not saying that people wouldn't buy or sell, I'm saying that people wouldn't have to. But then comes in "Hey. Yours is better than mine. Wanna trade?" I do know that from PAST experience:) that anything I could build in my window kicked the shit out of anything I could buy. So there was never any reason for me to go out and perpetuate the trade.

>I think that a good homegrown operation could compete with a
>professional batch just because of the individual attention.

That should be true of everything - beer, tobacco, furniture. But in general it's not. People buy on price over nearly everything else (other than effort, that is.) The cheap beer is going to sell more than the expensive beer almost any day.

> Home Brews suck because of the size of the operation.

Agreed - but that's any small operation, not just beer.

>Think of it like people growing prize rose bushes.

Good example. They make gorgeous bushes - but Home Depot is always going to sell more rose bushes.

That's not to say that home growers would have no business. But you can bet that once pot is legalized, the industry will be dominated by the big players the same way the beer and tobacco industry is today.

I voted No. Not because I'm against legalizing pot, but we need to look at a few other issues.

Drunk driving is a huge problem. What would be the effect of "stoned Driving."

How about this - if you are convicted of Drunk/stoned driving, then we remove the problem, instead of putting you in jail. You car gets auctioned and the government buys you a shiny new bicycle. :)

=========Shaun ==========

I voted No. Not because I'm against legalizing pot, but we need to look at a few other issues.

Drunk driving is a huge problem. What would be the effect of "stoned Driving."

How about this - if you are convicted of Drunk/stoned driving, then we remove the problem, instead of putting you in jail. You car gets auctioned and the government buys you a shiny new bicycle. :)

Driving under the influence happens already, wether they are stoned, drunk or other. Legalize it, tax it, control the strength, and use the revenue and drug war savings to pay for eduacation, illegal imagration, help to single moms, or what ever. it would be a win win for everybody.

> If everybody could grow their own, nobody would have to buy or sell.

>>People can grow their own tobacco, therefore no one buys or sells cigarettes, right? And people can brew their own beer, so there's no market for bottled beer in the US.

(I think there might be a flaw in your logic, there . . .)

The flaw in logic, is that people are wasting money on stuff that is practically free...

some things I can understand, but at an extra $50 an ounce for tax, I'd suspect more people would try growing their own....right next to the tomata plants.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Legalize it; let people grow their own; and also let it be commercially produced and sold retail. If people grow their own, don't tax it. If it's sold retail, let each state decide whether or not to impose a retail sales tax on it, just as each state now decides whether to tax the retail sale of food, liquor or cigarettes. Soon, pot clubs will spring up, and people will blog by posting pics of their fridges full of craft blends.

Other driving studies have suggested that marijuana users are more likely to be injured in auto accidents, yet are no more likely than other drivers to be responsible for driving fatalities.

---

Note that it erroneously states that the injury risk ratios for marijuana users were 1.58 for males and 1.55 for females adjusted for alcohol and tobacco use and other factors; actually, these were adjusted only for age; the fully adjusted ratios were 1.28 and 1.37. By way of comparison, cigarette smokers have an accident risk ratio of 1.51 compared to non-smokers; teen drivers have two to five times the accident risk of older drivers; and males are twice as likely as females to have auto crashes.

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/kaiseraccidentstudy.html

What researchers did not expect to see was the effect cannabis use had on accidental injuries. When they reviewed accidents treated in the emergency room, and looked at whether the patient used cannabis or not, they found that cannabis users were only one third as likely to be injured in the same circumstances as those that had no cannabis in their system.

http://www.nowpublic.com/health/cannabis-use-lowers-injury-risk-two-thirds-swiss-study-shows

Swiss Study
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I don't know what the laws are where you are, but here DUI is not just driving drunk. DUI is "Driving Under the Influence" of anything. To include over the counter cold meds that can make you drowsey. But I'm not sure how they can enforce all of that. But back to the point. Just because pot could be legal doesn' mean that you should be out there driving around bleeding out you eyes. I'll be the first to admit my reaction times are slower than they would be normally. That is why I would never drink or smoke before skydiving or driving or for that matter before anything that I have to do that is important or requires my full attention or concentration. For me the whole thing boils down to responsibility and moderation. I know there are people out there that claim they can do anything under the influence that they can do straight or sober with the same efficency. That's where I call bullshit. I've played both sides of the fence. But I guess that's just me. I know my limitations. Besides, I'm to stiff and sore most of the time to give up my car for a shiny new bicycle.;)

Soon, pot clubs will spring up, and people will blog by posting pics of their fridges full of craft blends.

I heard something about pot churches already forming in California...

As for pot shops, maybe huka bars will expand their inventory.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...