shropshire

Which is worse ....

I don't like your options.

While it's absolutely true you can "think" we're not alone in the universe, it's impossible to "know" we're not.

Shropshire got it right, you've just read it wrong.

All we have to do to know we're not alone is find an alien.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

While it's absolutely true you can "think" we're not alone in the universe, it's impossible to "know" we're not.

Ah, I see. I read that backwards. Silly me. Good thing I hadn't voted yet.

It's far worse not knowing. The only way, in my opinion, that we'll ever "know" is by radio transmission. The distances between habitable planets is simply too great for any face to face meetings, so even if "they" only lived 4.5 light years away we'd be perfectly safe.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Meh, the nearest star is 4.2 light years away and it's a red dwarf so there's little chance of it supporting life. Any life sustaining solar system has to be a lot further away than that. That means that any message is going to take a long, looong time to get a reply.

Ah, I see. I read that backwards. Silly me. Good thing I hadn't voted yet.

It's far worse not knowing. The only way, in my opinion, that we'll ever "know" is by radio transmission. The distances between habitable planets is simply too great for any face to face meetings, so even if "they" only lived 4.5 light years away we'd be perfectly safe.

There was a time when it took months to cross the Atlantic Ocean, now it can be done in hours. If we assume that the life we might possibly find on another planet is at the same in its development as ours, then yes, it would not matter much. But, if they are more advanced, then that could drastically change how much it matters.

What would be really interesting to see is how we as a people and our governments react to the knowledge. Would be point all of our weapons at them “just in case” or would we take a different stance. To me, that would be quite the spectacle indeed.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

I voted, "Thinking that we're alone."
Knowing we're not alone is pretty bad, because I know we'll never meet up with those guys in my lifetime, and I really want to play with them.
But thinking we're not alone is worse, because that reflects ignorance.

Since we don't know, I think the only two options ought to be:

1 - Thinking we are alone but not knowing, and . . .

2 - Thinking we are not alone but not knowing.

Except of course for the privileged few that are channelling alien communications and do know.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley