steve1

So, Which Pistol Would You Recommend?

Since I don't know a whole lot about pistols, I thought I'd throw out some questions.

I'm thinking about buying another automatic pistol for home defense and possible concealed carry. I've got a 9mm Smith & Wesson with a single stack magazine. It only holds about eight in the magazine. I like the feel of it. It shoots well out to a reasonable range. The trigger has a lot of slop in it though. Maybe that can be reworked. I need to check into that.

I wouldn't mind having more magazine capacity, and possibly a larger caliber. I don't have a huge hand. I guess I should look some pistols over and see how they feel.

My brother uses a 10 MM Glock for law enforcement work. I guess they are super reliable. I didn't like the looks or feel of it at first, but maybe it would be fine once I got used to it. There must be a reason so many people buy Glocks.

I didn't want to mortgage my house to buy another pistol. I know there are some really nice custom weapons out there. Do you think they are worth the extra price?

Lot's of people like 45's. I'm not sure I want the extra recoil and noise. 9mm's are easy to shoot, but they may lack stopping power. What do you think?

At any rate, I'd appreciate your advice on this.

My choiceof weapons has been modified by my need to simplify my ammunition purchases.

If you have a 9MM I would stick with it.

Getting a.40 or a 10MM just complicates things and is harder to buy ammo for.

Then again I know guys who have to have every freaking caliber out there.

Glock Model 19 or 26 9mm, as long as you use hotter ammo. I'd recommend 115 grn Corbon hollow points, they fly at about 1.300 fps. Blazer 9mm for practice, 9mm ammo is cheaper and easier to get.
JMHO

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Guys,

You're thinking WAY too big. 9mm for the home has a better change of killing a person in the other room. As far as a carry weapon (which I do) I really like the Ruger .380 LCP, small EZ to keep concealed as it shouold be. As far as how many rounds ??? You only need one well placed, unless you think you may get into a old west shoot out! lol Self defense rarely if ever comes down to that. .380 is EZ to shoot and has plenty of stopping power at close range. Lets face it anything over a dozen yards and you have no business shooting to begin with. Really a revolver is best (they dont jam, few working parts) with a shaved hammer and double action. There is rumor that the LCP is going to have a recall...yet I have never had a problem in over 700 rounds.
Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

My choiceof weapons has been modified by my need to simplify my ammunition purchases.

You may want to hold on to that ammo...the trade for shitty nationalized healthcare will be the continual and gradual erosion of your 2nd Amendent rights. obama makes it no secret that he supports European style gun laws.

People will debate on calibers until they are blue in the face and then some. Find something that is of a traditional defense caliber that you like and you enjoy shooting. The only thing worst than not being prepared for a threat is being prepared but not practiced. If you don't enjoy shooting your gun, then you wont. If you don't shoot, you will not be able to use your weapon effectively when hick's law kicks in.

If you want a lot of fun, look up your local IDPA chapter and/or your local IPSC chapter and go shoot with them one weekend. You will burn up some ammo, learn some things, have fun and meet some interesting people.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You may want to hold on to that ammo...the trade for shitty nationalized healthcare will be the continual and gradual erosion of your 2nd Amendent rights. obama makes it no secret that he supports European style gun laws.

I have quite a bit of faith...that the Obama Administration is not as GOAT FUCK STUPID as the RIGHT FLING prays that they are. Ain't gonnahappen.. but... for what its worth.... it sure has been great for gun sales with that sort of thinking..

Side note... anyone have any ideas on a cheap place to pick up a couple hundred rounds of .40 that's local? I've called to the local range but they seem way over priced. I'm borrowing a Glock 35 for a last minute CCW course this weekend (I've ran a few dozen rounds though it before and know how it shoots) but they are looking at us shooting 150-200 rounds and the owner I'm borrowing it from does not have that many laying around.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have quite a bit of faith...that the Obama Administration is not as GOAT FUCK STUPID as the RIGHT FLING prays that they are. Ain't gonnahappen.. but... for what its worth.... it sure has been great for gun sales with that sort of thinking..

I hope youre right, although I don't have any faith that obama has changed his thinking. Again his record is no secret. In the meantime I will be "clinging to my guns and my religion" tighter than ever.

Since I don't know a whole lot about pistols, I thought I'd throw out some questions.

I'm thinking about buying another automatic pistol for home defense and possible concealed carry.

The two purposes are mutually exclusive.

For home use you want the most "stopping power" you can get and don't care what it looks like to people scared of guns because you aren't going to take it outside the house and range. 12 gauge, 18" barell, extended magazine.

For concealed cary you want something small and concealable that you'll take with you.

I didn't want to mortgage my house to buy another pistol. I know there are some really nice custom weapons out there. Do you think they are worth the extra price?

While a nice 1911 with a crisp single action trigger is pleasant to shoot and aesthetically pleasing it's not going to be more reliable or more accurate in practical situations. Apart from double stacks like the Para Ordnance with magazines protruding beneath the grip it'll hold less than a full-sized Glock too.

Lot's of people like 45's. I'm not sure I want the extra recoil and noise. 9mm's are easy to shoot, but they may lack stopping power. What do you think?

A 12 gauge shell with 10 pellets of .360" 000 buck shot beats just a couple of .355" or .452" bullets.

Guys,

You're thinking WAY too big. 9mm for the home has a better change of killing a person in the other room. As far as a carry weapon (which I do) I really like the Ruger .380 LCP, small EZ to keep concealed as it shouold be. As far as how many rounds ??? You only need one well placed, unless you think you may get into a old west shoot out! lol Self defense rarely if ever comes down to that. .380 is EZ to shoot and has plenty of stopping power at close range. Lets face it anything over a dozen yards and you have no business shooting to begin with. Really a revolver is best (they dont jam, few working parts) with a shaved hammer and double action. There is rumor that the LCP is going to have a recall...yet I have never had a problem in over 700 rounds.

I'd recommend a 380, if he's able to stick it behind the criminal's ear.

Steve - keep the 9mm, have a gunsmith check out the trigger.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Guys,

You're thinking WAY too big. 9mm for the home has a better change of killing a person in the other room. As far as a carry weapon (which I do) I really like the Ruger .380 LCP, small EZ to keep concealed as it shouold be. As far as how many rounds ??? You only need one well placed, unless you think you may get into a old west shoot out!

No. While one round of anything is more than enough to kill a person that's not relevant. You only use lethal force when you're in physical danger, at which point the goal is to stop the threat. It doesn't matter if they live or die. Unfortunately dangerous animals (with two legs or four) can take a LOT of damage before they give up.

The FBI gave up on 9mm after the infamous 1986 Miami shoot out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

After being shot twice with 9mm slugs including a fatal wound, one of the suspects got out of his car. Although being hit four more times, he killed one FBI agent, shot another in the neck, shot another agent, and killed a second one with two shots to the head.

He was going to drive away but one of the wounded FBI agents was able to work his 12 guage with one hand dumping rounds into the car until it was empty striking the two criminals multiple times.

The crook got out of the car, fired three rounds, and got back in the car.

The injured agent who'd emptied his shotgun ended the fight by emptying his revolver into the suspects.

It took 12 shots to stop the tougher of the two crooks, with him getting off at least 42 rounds from a mini-14 and three each from a pair of .357 revolvers.

That was without _any_ drugs or alcohol in his system. People high on PCP and other drugs have even more fight in them.

well in the original post it said automatic and maybe bigger than a 9. So leave out revolvers and shotguns. Also not real expensive. That rules out my first choice of a SIG SAUER 229 or 226. The 1911 is a great carry gun. Many makes and models to choose from. Unfortunately they get pricy too and I dont know if you want that large of a caliber. Glock is of course the popular choice but I agree with you. I think they are ugly but what counts is that they are very functional. However I too think the grip is wierd. Remember though that the glocks have partially supported chambers so I would not recommend reloads or you might find yourself with catastrophic failure. If you are into hamerless autos then I would go with the steyr. And it has a fully supported chamber, but it likes to be clean. Mine has the triangle sites on it. they are way better than the square sites on the glock. Also in that price range is the FNP. Its available in many calibers.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

I own a Springfield XD in .45....like it a lot but a tad large for concealed carry except during the New England winter months. I also own an XD sub-compact version in 9mm which is pretty good for year-round concealed carry. I have owned Glocks in 9mm and .40 but prefer the Springfield XD because of the grip safety...also they tend to be less expensive than Glocks. Also, I had issues with the Glock .40 (compact model) and dumped it after two trips back to Glock. Probably just the ammo but I don't want a pistol that is that ammo-sensitive.

I also own a Colt 1911 which I had set up for IPSC competition...fine for home defense but not something I would use for concealed carrry. My Colt Lightweight Commander, on the other hand, which has also been slicked up by a well-known gunsmith and has night sights is fine for concealed carrry...in winter, not so easy to conceal during the warmer months.

I have a Sig P-239 in .357Sig....a good all-around pistol for home defense or concealed carry. Had night sights installed. I usually have it in my car.

For summer concealed carry, I use a Colt Cobra .38 revolver...light weight, relatively easy to conceal, and very reliable.

Have a good gun smith...or send it to S&W...look at your current piece.

I almost NEVER buy NEW firearms - handguns or long guns. Used firearms are generally much less expensive...much the same as buying a used car rather than new. Let someone else take the financial hit of a new toy.

There are several good gun shops in the area here with excellent selections of used firearms. I just keep checking in until I find what I'm looking for or something strikes my fancy...which happens way too often as indicated by my need for two gun safes and a slim bank account. Can't have too many guns!
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

So much of what you mentioned will come down to what feels right for you. My favorite caliber is .40 SW. It gives good stopping power and recoil is not a problem. I really like Glocks because they are ultra relaiable, affordable, and easy to work with and modify with a little practice. The Glock 27 would be great for concealed carry and the Glock 22 or 35 is great for home defense. I use a 22 for home defense and my 35 is my target pistol. Sig Sauer is also a great pistol but they are more expensive. I don't like single stack pistols because I have big hands and don't like the feel of a single stack grip.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Done a LOT of shooting. LE/Military/IPSC.

There is but one choice if you want the best and are willing to shell out.

STI

I'm a Tactical 4.15 guy. .45ACP

Unbelievable weapon.

STI makes some incredible pistols. I used to be active in USPSA and shot several of the STI Edge model in .40. Amazing weapons, as well they should be since they will set you back @ $1800.00.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

For home defense use, a custom pistol is overkill.

I wouldn't say the 45 has MORE recoil than the 9mm, but it's DIFFERENT recoil - more of a 'push and roll'.

For myself, I prefer my 9mm pre-expanded :P, so I shoot a .45

Any of the basic 1911 platforms would serve you well - Colt, Kimber or Springfield. You should be able to find them under about $600-$700.

Break it in for a couple hundred rounds, then decide if you want / need a trigger job. If you *do* get a trigger job, keep it OVER four or five pounds - the last thing you need when the adrenaline is pumping is a light trigger.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Guys,

You're thinking WAY too big. 9mm for the home has a better change of killing a person in the other room. As far as a carry weapon (which I do) I really like the Ruger .380 LCP, small EZ to keep concealed as it shouold be. As far as how many rounds ??? You only need one well placed, unless you think you may get into a old west shoot out!

No. While one round of anything is more than enough to kill a person that's not relevant. You only use lethal force when you're in physical danger, at which point the goal is to stop the threat. It doesn't matter if they live or die. Unfortunately dangerous animals (with two legs or four) can take a LOT of damage before they give up.

The FBI gave up on 9mm after the infamous 1986 Miami shoot out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

After being shot twice with 9mm slugs including a fatal wound, one of the suspects got out of his car. Although being hit four more times, he killed one FBI agent, shot another in the neck, shot another agent, and killed a second one with two shots to the head.

He was going to drive away but one of the wounded FBI agents was able to work his 12 guage with one hand dumping rounds into the car until it was empty striking the two criminals multiple times.

The crook got out of the car, fired three rounds, and got back in the car.

The injured agent who'd emptied his shotgun ended the fight by emptying his revolver into the suspects.

It took 12 shots to stop the tougher of the two crooks, with him getting off at least 42 rounds from a mini-14 and three each from a pair of .357 revolvers.

That was without _any_ drugs or alcohol in his system. People high on PCP and other drugs have even more fight in them.

These guys were also sporting body armor from head to toe...and we are talking about personal protection not police shoot outs that went down in history as the worse ever.

I would venture to say that with a .380 and 7 rounds at close rage you would have at min 2 lungs in non-working condition. Hey lets just go for the desert eagle! Can't conceal it but it'll stop ya. What you dress like from day to day really can change the perfect carry/conceal. Accessability, concealability, stopping power, # of rounds it all comes into play.

As far as in the home...think about being half asleep. Its hard to argue the ease and stopping power of a 12g with buck shot. Cheap too!

I'm with Piper17 on the Springfield XD-45. But, I don't find it too large to carry concealed with the proper holster. Crossbreed Super-Tuck rocks!

If you like how your 9mm feels and like how it shoots with exception to the trigger, take it to your local gunsmith. Estimates are still free in a lot of places. It could be a rather cheap fix instead of $$$$ for a new one.