From a hero to zero!

On the other hand, people who smoke marijuana do so to catch a buzz, get high, or get totally trashed. Anybody who has to do that to have fun or escape the stress of their daily life has problems far worse than any pot can cause them.

It would appear that more people drink alcohol to catch a buzz, get drunk, or get totally trashed and those with serious problems are more likely to drink alcohol ...

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Sorry, Bill, but you are wrong. My screen name has nothing to do with beer or alcohol. I chose it because I once owned a pair of BELGIAN DRAFT horses. Maybe you should have asked before assuming.

And perhaps you shouldn't have an avatar with two cans of beer on it?

(there might be something horselike behind it, but given the pixel size, it's like a picture of the loch ness monster)

It would appear that more people drink alcohol to catch a buzz, get drunk, or get totally trashed and those with serious problems are more likely to drink alcohol ...

I never said they didn't and made no claims that could be interpreted as such. Your post is totally irrelevent as to whether marijuana is harmful or harmless.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

It's a squirrel. The avatar is a squirrel trying to drink beer from a can using a straw. By using it as my avatar doesn't mean i condone the irresponsible use of beer anymore than someone posting a picture of a raodkilled cat means they condone intentionally running over cats.
HAMMER:

It's a squirrel. The avatar is a squirrel trying to drink beer from a can using a straw. By using it as my avatar doesn't mean i condone the irresponsible use of beer anymore than someone posting a picture of a raodkilled cat means they condone intentionally running over cats.

You should be ashamed of yourself

I would never condone underage drinking...

I know that squirrel is not over 18 years of age.

Are you calling me a liar? I'd tell you what I think of for that insinuation but since you are a mod, and have already given me two weeks off once before, that wouldn't be a good idea, now would it? So I'll just tell you once again that you are wrong about your supposition.

I don't deny any alcohol issues. I have already posted my drinking habits. If you think that constitutes a problem, then it's a good thing you're not the one who decided whether someone has to get treatment or not.
I view smoking pot as an immature act of someone who can't handle their problems. It's a poor decision that shows a lack of judgement. You are free to see it differently.
HAMMER:

I'm not trying to tell anybody what they can or can't put into their body. I've even stated that i think weed should be legalized. All I've been saying is two things.
1: People who defend its use should stop saying it is harmless. It is not. It has risks the same as any other chemical substance that alters a persons physiological state.
2: If people choose to use pot they need to accept that a lot of people, myself included, will see that decision as an indicator of poor judgement.

And, i will add, that squirrel is of legal age. In squirrel years.
HAMMER:

>Are you calling me a liar?

Now you're getting mad, even though I have not said anything negative about you, other than your name and your avatar appear to show a preference towards beer, and you appear to be denying it. Ironically, you made a much stronger statement against pot smokers - and yet a much milder statement made about you makes you very angry.

Once again, I have no problem with how much (or how little) you drink or smoke, or what your other drug preferences are. You seem to have a big problem with what other people's drug preferences are. So be it.

1: People who defend its use should stop saying it is harmless. It is not. It has risks the same as any other chemical substance that alters a persons physiological state.
2: If people choose to use pot they need to accept that a lot of people, myself included, will see that decision as an indicator of poor judgement.

Yes, and people are deriding you for seeing any level of pot use as such an indicator. Esp when you drink beer, have a screen name about beer, and a picture of beer. (sorry, not buying the horse story) No matter, a Mormon and many Protestants would view even your casual alcohol consumption as an indicator of bad character.

And no one says it's harmless. Just not particularly harmfull. Big difference. Very few products we ingest are absolutes - even water, essential to existence, is lethal in quantity. It may be easier to OD on water than it is on pot. Many people die each year that way.

You're upset because i look down upon people who get high. For your information, I dont' confine that view to only those who smoke pot. I also look down upon those who drink to get drunk. I see both as lack of good judgement and an incapability to handle reality.
It's pretty bad when the best argument you can post is deriding someone's avatar and screen name just because you don't know what they mean.
HAMMER:

>Are you calling me a liar?

Now you're getting mad, even though I have not said anything negative about you, other than your name and your avatar appear to show a preference towards beer, and you appear to be denying it. Ironically, you made a much stronger statement against pot smokers - and yet a much milder statement made about you makes you very angry.

Once again, I have no problem with how much (or how little) you drink or smoke, or what your other drug preferences are. You seem to have a big problem with what other people's drug preferences are. So be it.

If you don't want people to get mad, don't infer that they are liars. However, on the other hand, if you don't care if you make someone mad then have at it. Just don't act surprised when they do get mad.
Just to clarify why i chose the name i did, we'll do a little comparison.
I drink maybe 6 or 8 beers a month, rarely more than one a day and never more than two. Often they are non-alcoholic (though they still have a very minute trace). Beer is a non-issue in my life. If it were to become unavailable to me i would not miss it.
I had my Belgians for over 10 years. They were a pair of brothers raised and trained by the Amish to work fileds, pull wagons, logs, sleds, drags, etc. Anyone who has ever owned and cared for a horse knows how close a person gets to them.
Yeah, my name is all about beer. :S NOT!
HAMMER:

>Just don't act surprised when they do get mad.

Good advice! That goes double for calling people who use any amount of any drug (alcohol, pot, tobacco) idiots - especially when you use such drugs yourself.

>I drink maybe 6 or 8 beers a month,

Your spirited defense of your drinking habits is admirable, but for the third time I don't care how much you drink.

Then we agree.
Don't bother apologizing for insinuating that I'm a liar. Any apology posted in SC would ruin the entire atmosphere.
HAMMER:

I bet Phelps can manage to walk my dog. And I imagine this wasn't the first time, yet somehow he managed to train hard enough to win olympic gold, repeatedly.

As I'm typing this, there is a story on msnbc reporting that Phelps says he's embarassed and may not attempt the 2012 olympics.....

I think it's a pretty good move....the millions of letters of support will do wonders for his self esteem...maybe he'll get 10 metals next time!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/7873210.stm
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never said they didn't and made no claims that could be interpreted as such. Your post is totally irrelevent as to whether marijuana is harmful or harmless.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As are yours. You have provided absolutely no independent studies to support any of your claims.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

You should be ashamed of yourself

I would never condone underage drinking...

I know that squirrel is not over 18 years of age.

Call PETA!:o

:D

Chuck

I bet Phelps can manage to walk my dog. And I imagine this wasn't the first time, yet somehow he managed to train hard enough to win olympic gold, repeatedly.

As I'm typing this, there is a story on msnbc reporting that Phelps says he's embarassed and may not attempt the 2012 olympics.....

I think it's a pretty good move....the millions of letters of support will do wonders for his self esteem...maybe he'll get 10 metals next time!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/7873210.stm

I heard earlier today, he's lost some endorsements.
Like they say; 'One aw-shit... wipes-out all your atta boys!'

Chuck

On the other hand, people who smoke marijuana do so to catch a buzz, get high, or get totally trashed. Anybody who has to do that to have fun or escape the stress of their daily life has problems far worse than any pot can cause them.

As exhibit A, Michael Phelps' performance in the 2008 summer Olympics...

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

As exhibit A, Michael Phelps' performance in the 2008 summer Olympics...

Blues,
Dave

You don't need need much smarts to swim fast. Fish do it all the time.
Of course, all the studies can be wrong. The diminished brain capacity could be the cause of marijuana use, not the result. I suspect it's a combination of both.
HAMMER:

Of course, all the studies can be wrong. The diminished brain capacity could be the cause of marijuana use, not the result. I suspect it's a combination of both.

Do more research ...

PS: Need need much smarts ... have you been using marijuana? :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Do more research ...

PS: Need need much smarts ... have you been using marijuana? :P

You do know how intentional irony can be used as sarcasm, right? Right. :S

A beer, a shot of whiskey, and a glass of wine have all been shown to help prevent heart attacks. Doesn't mean it isn't harmful when used in quantities high even to induce a buzz.
HAMMER:

A beer, a shot of whiskey, and a glass of wine have all been shown to help prevent heart attacks. Doesn't mean it isn't harmful when used in quantities high even to induce a buzz.

So beer and booze are trying to horn in on the health benefits claimed by red wine?

Just goes to show that uptight people who can't enjoy a drink (or a joint) die earlier in life.