airdvr

Stimulus package?...bullshit

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,483345,00.html

According to the CBO, only $26 billion — just over 3 percent — will be spent this year. Another $110 billion — or 13 percent — will be spent next year. Which means that by the time President Obama's term is halfway through, just 16 percent of the money will have been spent.

I thought President Obama said this is supposed to be a quick "jolt" to the economy?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

So you're complaining that the government isn't spending money fast enough?

This is so cool to watch.

No...let's just call it what it is. 13% of 800 billion won't do crap in the next 2 years so why not just get out of the way, quit taxing hard working folks instead of giving "tax rebates' to people who don't pay taxes, let poorly run companies fail instead of bailing them out, and let a free market economy do what it is designed to do.

Destinations by Roxanne

I agree that the bailout is a bad idea in the long term.

Based on that, I assume that the failure of the government to spend lots of money quickly would make you happy!

>quit taxing hard working folks instead of giving "tax rebates' to people
>who don't pay taxes . . .

Can't do that. Unless we tax "hard working people" the government collapses.

I agree that the bailout is a bad idea in the long term.

Based on that, I assume that the failure of the government to spend lots of money quickly would make you happy!

>quit taxing hard working folks instead of giving "tax rebates' to people
>who don't pay taxes . . .

They could tax the 'fat-cats' and big business who have all the tax breaks, also quit letting just the assembly line workers, garbage truck drivers and etc. have all the fun!
That's right... we're bailing big business outa their bad business dealings... never mind![:/]

Chuck

... ,and let a free market economy do what it is designed to do.

>>Actually Mr. Mellon found out the hard way that doesn't work. I'm in favor of the treasury forcing mortgage interest rates down to, say, 4%. This will stimulate home buying and help to bolster sagging home values. This in turn would make all those CDO's worth something again, and ease the strain on bank balance sheets. I also favor the 'bad bank' idea, but no one idea is going to work.

Not biting on that one Bill. Cut taxes for businesses and the working man. Don't try to give me back money I've already paid, lace a 'stimulus' bill with pork to pay back the cronies Barack, Nancy, Harry and Frank owe, and think it will do any good for the economy.

You guys used to scream bloody murder of GWB's scare tactics. The scare tactics the Dems are using are even worse.

Destinations by Roxanne

>Cut taxes for businesses and the working man.

That would be nice. But that's akin to demanding that your bank reduce your credit card payments while you spend more and more on it.

Reduce spending FIRST. THEN reduce taxes. That's the way it has to work. It means if you really want a war, you're going to have to pay for it. If you really want a bailout, you have to pay for that too. If you really want NASA, ATC, the CDC, a road system - you have to pay for it.

Don't want to pay more taxes? Protest the war. Protest the bailout. Protest the next shuttle launch, the road crew working on your road, and the local ATC facility. That's what will, in the end, reduce your taxes.

No...let's just call it what it is. 13% of 800 billion won't do crap in the next 2 years so why not just get out of the way, quit taxing hard working folks instead of giving "tax rebates' to people who don't pay taxes, let poorly run companies fail instead of bailing them out, and let a free market economy do what it is designed to do.

I'm with you on most of that, but I think we should continue taxing hard working folks (and not so hard working) until we've paid off the ridiculous debts our elected officials have accumulated for us. It's time to pay the piper.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm with you on most of that, but I think we should continue taxing hard working folks (and not so hard working) until we've paid off the ridiculous debts our elected officials have accumulated for us. It's time to pay the piper.

Blues,
Dave

That's the fundamental difference in opinion regarding the tax structure and rebates.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

825 Billion dollar stimulus package.

825billion/138 million taxpayers in the US = $5980 PER TAXPAYER!

Nope. $5980 per tax FILER, with the bottom two quintiles averaging negative income tax rates and the bottom 50% collectively paying only 3% of the total. That leaves a substantially higher screw job for those of us who really pay taxes

$11,956 per person in the top 50% who pay 97% of the income tax

$71,739 per person in the top 5% who pay 60% of the income tax. In most parts of the country, this is well off. In San Mateo county just making the cut almost qualifies you for government assited moderate income housing ($150K/year limit). According to the accepted 28/36 mortgage debt qualification you can find yourself in this bracket without enough to buy a 2 bedroom, 1 bath home built in 1950 that's close to work.

For better or worse a lot of this will be spread over a long time in the form of added interest on the debt and in terms of a devalued dollar.

If I could keep the money I'd stick it in savings to compensate for lost retirement savings and the increased chances I'll be living off savings while between jobs.