Yossarian

Lineovers

just a quick question, do lineovers only ever involve brake lines? was thinking about how difficult it would be to locate a line to cut on a reserve lineover, but that would be simplified if i could just cut the appropriate brake above the toggle. is this the case or can other lines go over the top?

My bad, darn dyslexia sneaking up again...

Reserve Line over, shit wheres my hook knife? Ah there it is, oh shit I dropped it! Should have listened to that old timer that told me to carry two.

Anybody know what the statistic is on reserve lineovers?

_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

ive asked around here a few times and ive only ever been told of one in base. im pretty sure theyre very rare but when you're asked to carry a hook knife its pretty pointless unless you know exactly what to do with it.

at the moment i have one of those rubbishy plastic ones on my chest-strap and another one under the 3-rings on the left side (you know where i mean, tempted to say lift-web but im not sure if thats what its called) but im going to get another, should i get one of a similar size but metal or should i get a bigger one, those things that are about 6" and go on your leg?

ive asked around here a few times and ive only ever been told of one in base. im pretty sure theyre very rare but when you're asked to carry a hook knife its pretty pointless unless you know exactly what to do with it.

Why do you think a hook knife is for a reserve line over? Which is a popular thought on this board, btw. What other ways are there to try and clear a line over? What other uses are there for a hook knife?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

There's an interesting thread around here somewhere about a camerasuit, a camerahelmet and, luckily, a hookknife...

Yeah that is a totally different situation though.
I see a lot of people that think a hook knife is the only way to deal with a reserve line over. It's not and I'm trying to get people to think about it a little. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Yeah that is a totally different situation though.
I see a lot of people that think a hook knife is the only way to deal with a reserve line over. It's not and I'm trying to get people to think about it a little.

Depending on altitude, don't you pump your brakes and see if that gets it undone? If that didn't work on my reserve, I sure would cutting that line(s) off!

Something else to consider, when experiencing a line over malfunction, it does not necessarily mean you will be flying stable does it?
The canopy could be flying erratically and difficult if not impossible to get to fly stable.

What a rush!

Leave your camera on…

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Something else to consider, when experiencing a line over malfunction, it does not necessarily mean you will be flying stable does it?
The canopy could be flying erratically and difficult if not impossible to get to fly stable.

I could vouch for that scenario. I had a lineover on my main last year...(it was during a meet, I'd used a packer) and it was spinning and uncontrollable. Even with my right toggle completely buried it was still spinning to the left and was gaining a lot of speed. I had to chop it. I would have died if I hadn't so it was an easy decision. ;)

That's on a Pilot at just over 1:1. My reserve is loaded the same...I hope my reserve would be a little more docile with a lineover but who the heck knows. Could be better, could be worse.

I also had a line over on jump #20, which was a 3,500 hop and pop. Tried pumping the breaks which did not help. Not a lot of time though so I chopped at 2100. All ended well and I was glad to get my first one out of the way. Gave me confidence that I could handle the situation without freaking out.
SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP

If that didn't work on my reserve, I sure would cutting that line(s) off!

How would you determine what line/s to cut? Do you what lines are more critical to the canopy flying. To just start cutting lines on a reserve could very easily put you in a worse situation.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That's on a Pilot at just over 1:1. My reserve is loaded the same...I hope my reserve would be a little more docile with a lineover but who the heck knows. Could be better, could be worse.

Generally speaking a nine cell main has a greater aspect ratio than a 7 cell reserve. Because of this your reserve will be much less likely to have a line over. And for the same reason if your does happen to throw a line over it will be easier to clear.

This is not to say it won’t happen on your next jump though.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

How would you determine what line/s to cut? Do you what lines are more critical to the canopy flying. To just start cutting lines on a reserve could very easily put you in a worse situation.

That is a really good question, and I don't have a good answer. Only time I've heard stories of a person cutting lines was a TI at my DZ (he has 8 or 9 thousand jumps I think). On a tandem, main came out as a pile of poo, cutaway, and there were lineovers on the reserve. He said he felt for which ever lines were super tight and appeared to be over the canopy, and cut those off...

I dunno if that's the best way to handle that...

felt for which ever lines were super tight and appeared to be over the canopy, and cut those off...

If this were my only choice, if time and altitude permitted I would only cut one line at a time.

-
Mykel AFF-I10

Only time I've heard stories of a person cutting lines was a TI at my DZ (he has 8 or 9 thousand jumps I think). On a tandem, main came out as a pile of poo, cutaway, and there were lineovers on the reserve.

On a tandem that gets to pull at 5,000. Not likely to have that much time on a sport jump