Which EU States Will Offer Home To Ex-Gitmo Inmates?

:D:D:D

We'd fare pretty damned fine thanks ... Pull back if you must but don't let the door slam your arse too hard:P.... and take McDonalds with you[:/] ... I'd rather eat dem rocks.

Welllll, ok, we'll take Mickey D's with us, but you have to keep Starbucks! ;)
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

Heavens yes, everyone knows personality counts for so much more than competence...

That right there is the funniest thing you have said in the years you have been here Mikee....

I mean I know you love Bush... but using that term for him is seriously out of touch with reality.

Jeannie, Bush is gone - that means you don't have to do the "you don't despise Bush like I do so you must love him" schtick anymore.

BTW, the topic at hand was Obama, not Bush - try to keep up.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

We'd fare pretty damned fine thanks ... Pull back if you must but don't let the door slam your arse too hard:P.... and take McDonalds with you[:/] ... I'd rather eat dem rocks.

Actually, you may have something there...after all, it was the US that unleashed Windows upon an unsuspecting world. Probably morph into Skynet in a couple years, start a nuclear war, exterminate mankind, and eventually transform into the Borg.....
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

and take great pleasure in it too

Can I help:ph34r:

Yeah. Cuz that attitude really helps. [:/]

Uh in case you have not been keeping up.. I was fully in support of OUR PRESIDENT after 9/11, and so was MOST of the WORLD.

But face it.. with the Bush Administrations(Oil Boys) decision in 2002 to wade into the quagmire that was and IS IRAQ...almost unilaterally, they BLEW it... and young americans have paid for it. The WORLD turned all of that support for the US after 9/11 into scorn for the US because of a group of men who were out to make a name for themselves in history.... they did a great job of doing that... their name is now MUD for how NOT TO RUN A WAR OR A COUNTRY.

Some of us tried to point that out for 5 years... all the while... we STILL had the dead enders supporting the GOAT FUCK STUPID failed policies no matter what kind of new stupidity they came up with.

I have been keeping up.

But to take "great pleasure" in repeatedly bad mouthing America and yelling "I told you so" over and over and over is quite sophomoric, doncha think? I don't think that attitude helps. You seem to think otherwise.

But to take "great pleasure" in repeatedly bad mouthing America and yelling "I told you so" over and over and over is quite sophomoric, doncha think? I don't think that attitude helps. You seem to think otherwise.

Ouroboros has turned... I look forward to the next 4 years of "I told you so". :)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ouroboros has turned... I look forward to the next 4 years of "I told you so". :)

I don't. I don't want to have to say "I told you so." I hope that Obama keeps some of his promises. I hope that personal liberties aren't further compromised....

I hope the ENTIRE mess gets cleaned up. Not just gitmo. Not just the budget. Not just "Bush's fuckups".... cuz it's more than just past President Bush that got us into this situation.

It's US. Not the "U.S." but US... as people. complacent. noisy. whiny. and NOT working to fix the problem. We whine here on this SKYDIVING forum... but how many have seriously called or sent a letter to his/her elected representative. And if you have... do you think that he/she really read it.

WE are the problem.

WE need to fix ourselves.

I have been keeping up.

Ah yes.. if anyone disagrees with you WE HATE AMERICA...we are UNPATRIOTIC...

No.. SOME of us are able to see beyond our little backyard in flyover land and see where we are in the world. In a global economy it is imperative that we play well with others... I know you cant seem to comprehend that in flyover land.. but scaring and pissing off most of the world does not make for a good climate to do business in.

The policies of the last 7 years were counter productive to our interests. It really does sadden me that there are so many people in this country who are incapable of seeing that the actions of a few people who YOU put in power have damaged this country so greatly.

but how many have seriously called or sent a letter to his/her elected representative. And if you have... do you think that he/she really read it.

I have.. and I know they have the same concerns that I have... like Patty Murrya my Senator.. who actually worked in VA Hospitals as a volunteer.. and who walks the walk on veterans issues.

Unlike SOOOO many of you on the right.. the people I voted for... did as they said they would and I can be proud of their records..

It must suck.. to be suckered so much.

I have been keeping up.

Ah yes.. if anyone disagrees with you WE HATE AMERICA...we are UNPATRIOTIC...

No.. SOME of us are able to see beyond our little backyard in flyover land and see where we are in the world. In a global economy it is imperative that we play well with others... I know you cant seem to comprehend that in flyover land.. but scaring and pissing off most of the world does not make for a good climate to do business in.

The policies of the last 7 years were counter productive to our interests. It really does sadden me that there are so many people in this country who are incapable of seeing that the actions of a few people who YOU put in power have damaged this country so greatly.

You can disagree all you want. Debate and discourse are what SHOULD make this country great. We SHOULD NOT be all on the same page.... but to just constantly bad mouth and insult does not help with fixing any problem.

Should something be done at gitmo?

Yes. But a qualified yes. Some of the people are RIGHTFULLY there. Others have had their liberties stripped for NOTHING but a McCarthism type witch hunt.

How about a FAIR AND EQUITABLE trial held by heads of states of all the countries involved in the UN decision? Looking at the FACTS of each person.... not rumor or beliefs. Not a kangaroo court, but a world review of "prisoners of war."

An offer like that would be far more helpful than taking "great pleasure" in failures.

How about a FAIR AND EQUITABLE trial held by heads of states of all the countries involved in the UN decision? Looking at the FACTS of each person.... not rumor or beliefs. Not a kangaroo court, but a world review of "prisoners of war."

Yes! (in principle - I'd use international panels of experienced, respected judges). This is exactly what has been called for: instead of allowing the Detaining Nation to unilaterally declare a person it holds to be a "belligerent" - thereby potentially subjecting him to indefinite incarceration - have this issue of fact determined by a fair trial in a neutral court of law. (For the same reason - prevention of potentially indefinite incarceration - the same court would also be called upon to rule upon when the "hostilities", as defined under the Geneva Convention, have substantially ceased, thus requiring the Detaining Nation to repatriate the prisoner.) The Bush Administration expressly rejected these proposal, because it wanted to have unilateral control over these issues. But now it's a new day.

Welllll, ok, we'll take Mickey D's with us, but you have to keep Starbucks! ;)

:D:D Deal ... I like a cuppa.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Brilliant - I'm having one right now - punjana. It's a proper brew. Anyway, regarding what should be done with the inmates; surely that's the Bush Administrations problem? I'd have them all shipped to his ranch. . . Then again, that'd probably cause another humanitarian disaster.

It's a real problem - what on earth should the EU states do with 'em!? I dunno - having seen the Bush Administration stick it's two fingers up to so many international issues it'd again be easy to refuse. But as his (B)admin' is no longer in power I think we'll have to muck in and come to some kind of UN agreed solution.

Moving Figure 11 type targets on D range?>:(

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

surely that's the Bush Administrations problem? I'd have them all shipped to his ranch. . . Then again, that'd probably cause another humanitarian disaster.

:D:D Have they not been tortured enough?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Good post. Just one thing:

I hope the ENTIRE mess gets cleaned up. Not just gitmo. Not just the budget. Not just "Bush's fuckups".... cuz it's more than just past President Bush that got us into this situation.

One term, or two, can't fix it all. For exactly the reason that it got so fucked up -- it was a long-term group effort.

The best that any one administration can do is to try to fix the worst things, and set a plan in motion that will lead to more being fixed.

With so much messed up on so many fronts, I'm not sure that any president could get a second term these days. Even if he does a really good job. Because, frankly, things might still be kind of dim in 3 years (when the campaign will be really in motion), and the current president will take the blame, whether or not it's justified.

But if there's an overall plan, well, then inertia might just keep it going...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)