Which EU States Will Offer Home To Ex-Gitmo Inmates?

What they should do is shut the fuck up unless they're willing to help out. If you're not willing to help, that's fine. You forfeit the right to bitch.

Thats's just bollock ... Your last government fucked the world up for a lot of people, we have every right to keep reminding you and take great pleasure in it too:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Why should Europe handle the problem?

I don't think they should handle the problem. It's our (Obama's) order that needs a plan, not Europe's.

What they should do is shut the fuck up unless they're willing to help out. If you're not willing to help, that's fine. You forfeit the right to bitch.

And the Dinosaur is still trying to impresse the audience with his big mouth! Bush (his office) tried hard to make Europe to do what he wanted us to do and failed! Obama do already have Europe in his hand, just after some few days at office!

Obama do already have Europe in his hand, just after some few days at office!

Cult of personality.

It could be. "Asshole" is a personality trait that Bush does much more convincingly than Obama seems to.

"Messiah" is a personality trait Obama seems to have down pat, with the willing enthusiasm of the press.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Cult of personality.

It could be. "Asshole" is a personality trait that Bush does much more convincingly than Obama seems to.

"Messiah" is a personality trait Obama seems to have down pat, with the willing enthusiasm of the press.

Well people tend to like it when you do more good in your first 4 days of office than Bush did in 8 years.

Cult of personality.

Well people tend to like it when you do more good in your first 4 days of office than Bush did in 8 years.

Thanks for proving the point.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Time will tell Mike, but people are at least looking forward. That, in and of it's self has to be a good thing (for now).

We're all at the bottom (hopefully) of a big dark hole at the moment (not all of GWs making, it's bigger than him). People 'want' and need to look up and stop talking the economy (for one thing) down - it's a self forfilling phophecy. A change of government is a good time to change one's outlook. It's not just down to BO to fix the worlds problems, we all have to take an active role (he says contradicting his own post from another thread - whoops).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I agree - but the mindless adulation when the man has only been on the job for a week points right back to the 'cult of personality' that I mentioned above. Several EO's and phone calls do not a President make. Only time does that.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I agree - but the mindless adulation when the man has only been on the job for a week points right back to the 'cult of personality' that I mentioned above. Several EO's and phone calls do not a President make. Only time does that.

I think I can explain some of it. After almost every election of a new president of a different party than his predecessor, there will always be some people who will say, "Shit, now we're all really fucked," and some who will say, "Oh, thank God, at long last the country is saved!" Together, they usually make up less than everyone else, who I'll call The Blah Middle. But in 2000, the proportion of the population in the "Shit, now we're all fucked" category was comparatively huge. And when Bush & Cheney lived up to the worst fears of the people in the "Shit" category, and even turned many moderate Republicans into Obama voters, the portion of people in the "Thank God" category was comparatively huge. After that, it's just a little baby step to Messiah status. Yes, some of it is the press. But a lot of it is The People.

DUBLIN, Ireland — Across Europe, President Barack Obama's decision to shut the Guantanamo Bay prison has raised an awkward question: Which EU states that railed against the camp will offer new lives to released prisoners?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/23/which-eu-states-will-offe_n_160321.html

Why should Europe handle the problem?

Europe shouldn't be expected to handle it. Yet, Portugal seemed to announce that the EU should be expected to form a plan in order to take a lead on this matter...why, I have no idea.

These detainees should not come to the US, or be sent to Europe in my opinion.

Why not the US? We (Bush) created the problem. We should clear up the mess we made. That the problem is intractable is no excuse for inaction.

There was a perfectly acceptable solution in place in my opinion: military tribunals at Guantanamo. They have been far from a "kangaroo court". I bet even the detainees are saying WTF now that their trials have been delayed...

This will be the primary challenge to President Obama's one-year mandate with no strategy. :S

We had 7 years of dumb strategy which put them there.

I agree wholeheartedly that they f**ked around too long with the "what to do" question...I don't think anyone will argue that. However, I don't see that as justification for moving the detainees stateside.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Cult of personality.

More like relief that 8 years of intestinal gas has finally passed.

Ah, yes, more wisdom from the 'party of tolerance'.

Compare/contrast the howling over "Path to 9/11" vs. the cheering over "Death of a President".
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Your last government fucked the world up for a lot of people, we have every right to keep reminding you and take great pleasure in it too:)

I get so tired of hearing how America screws up the rest of the world. I would LOVE to shut of ALL foreign aid for one year, to everyone outside of the USA and see how you guys fare. Many of the smaller and poorer countries that pretend to be "freinds" while bashing us in the back rooms, would be huddled around friggin campfires eating rocks inside a couple months.
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

Heavens yes, everyone knows personality counts for so much more than competence...

That right there is the funniest thing you have said in the years you have been here Mikee....

I mean I know you love Bush... but using that term for him is seriously out of touch with reality.

You have to remember aid gives your country first priority back from the country who is receiving the aid! It´s all about business and marketing your country as the good samaritan! First aid give you rights on the export and import marked at good terms! Dont you come here wining when we have to put up with all the shit that comes around your fucked up foreign politics!

You should be happy we do put trust and comfort to your new president and are willing to go and make new friendship with your country! We have deep bounds together, but sometime it cools off, and need to be warmed up again! West coast and east coast seems to understand better than the mid country whats actually happening in the world!

and take great pleasure in it too

Can I help:ph34r:

Yeah. Cuz that attitude really helps. [:/]

Uh in case you have not been keeping up.. I was fully in support of OUR PRESIDENT after 9/11, and so was MOST of the WORLD.

But face it.. with the Bush Administrations(Oil Boys) decision in 2002 to wade into the quagmire that was and IS IRAQ...almost unilaterally, they BLEW it... and young americans have paid for it. The WORLD turned all of that support for the US after 9/11 into scorn for the US because of a group of men who were out to make a name for themselves in history.... they did a great job of doing that... their name is now MUD for how NOT TO RUN A WAR OR A COUNTRY.

Some of us tried to point that out for 5 years... all the while... we STILL had the dead enders supporting the GOAT FUCK STUPID failed policies no matter what kind of new stupidity they came up with.