normiss

Closing Gitmo.

in order to win a war you must be willing to go at least 1 step further than who you are fighting. anything less is a waste of time and effort. showing weakness (like pulling out of the war, releasing prisoners, or even having a large percentage of the population show outrage for the war itself) only instills confidence and resolve in the ones you are fighting and makes the war harder to fight and win and that ultimately costs more lives, time and resourses.

Thanks for your unsubstantiated opinion. One of mine is that in order to win a war, you must be better than your opponent, and at all costs avoid becoming him.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Thanks for your unsubstantiated opinion. One of mine is that in order to win a war, you must be better than your opponent, and at all costs avoid becoming him.

What if, in order to be better than your opponent, you have to become like him? Or, more precisely, do some of the things your opponent does, in order to win?
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

The problem is, a large share of the population has no idea what we face. To those in law enforcement, military, or civilian preparedness, it's pretty clear - we face an enemy who's stated goal is our destruction as a nation, and death our our citizens if we do not "convert" to their way of life. Period.

Well that’s a convenient belief. Convenient because you don’t have to deal with years of history, and questionable actions we have takin that just might warrant hate. To solve an issue you at first need to understand the cause.

Seriously I know most seem to want to make this a movie of guys in white hats, and black hats but it is not that simple. Life is not a movie.

And if we go down that road, they have won.

Terrorist terrorize that’s their goal. To use fear to get what they want. Simple as that.

So some believe as you stated your self that they want to destroy our way of life our freedom (which is bullshit in MO but just to make the point)? Your solution is we can do that to our selves? Because of fear?

Oh nooo my baby might get hurt welcome to the real world man, A lot of people have been hurt, killed, tortured and a lot more for a lot less and some times by our hands for unjust reasons.

You will never be safe specially when your focus is on paranoia. I rathere be free then safe. If you want to be truly safe live in a bubble and hope it doesn’t brake.:S
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

What if, in order to be better than your opponent, you have to become like him? Or, more precisely, do some of the things your opponent does, in order to win?

If those things are what you're fighting over, doing them would mean you've lost, or are at least undeserving of the win.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Not if your opponent’s goal is for you to change who you are and what you stand for.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Well we did not need to create massive slave labor and death camps to beat the Nazi's... although we did throw a bunch of Japs into some pretty harsh places out of stupidity.

I guess you would have been good with that back then.

People who are not willing to do what is necessary to win wars will eventually be oppressed by people who are.

Concur. And as has been demonstrated over-and-over again, the most effective methods to defeat insurgents and terrorists is not through traditional military action and not through torture, e.g., the failure of the French in Algeria. Less than 7% of terrorist groups active in the latter half of the 20th Century and first 7 years of this century were defeated by military action.

Do you want to use the most effective methods, or are there other reasons you want to pursue ineffective methods?

And while history is not predictive, we ignore(d) it at our own peril.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

People who are not willing to do what is necessary to win wars will eventually be oppressed by people who are.

We ARE willing to do what is necessary to win the war against the terrorists!!!

For example, Obama wants to step up the battle & increase our troop presence in Afghanistan to fight Al Quaeda. (Remember them? The ones who ACTUALLY attacked us in 2001???)

WE ARE NOT willing to do what is UNNECESSARY (and COUNTERPRODUCTIVE) to win the war!!!

Recruiting for the enemy HELPS the enemy!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

In extracting information from terrorists, we should use the MOST EFFECTIVE means possible.

To find out what the MOST EFFECTIVE means are, we should listen to those with the most expertise in interrogation.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

well then i guess the left doesn't mind speaking german, russian, or what ever the fuck they are speaking in the middle east.

To find out what the MOST EFFECTIVE means are, we should listen to those with the most expertise in interrogation.

Good idea... rather than using the third rate THUGS in third world countries to do the dirty work. Many of those people use brutal methods because they can get away with it.. and most of them also ENJOY it. Usiing SADISTS to get information is nuts.

Not if your opponent’s goal is for you to change who you are and what you stand for.

A good point. My question was somewhat retorical, because it's not black and white but varying shades of grey. We've taken some steps in this country that have removed some freedoms. Are we safer for it. Perhaps. Are we more like the enemy because we've removed some freedoms in order to be safe? Yes, in some ways. Kind of a vicious circle. Where does it stop? Who says "Ok, enough freedoms have been removed to guarantee safety"? Or, who says we need to remove more in order to preserve our way of life? Perfect example: I need to comply with the TSA screening in order to enjoy unrestricted commercial air travel. But, in order to enjoy unrestricted air travel, I have to restrict myself at the gate (search, those stupid 3oz containers, etc). Vicious circle.

I don't have a pat answer, there is none. Your trade of freedoms for safety may not be mine and vice versa.
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

So the argument again comes to defining harsh treatment. Is torture limited to ropes and broomsticks or does it extend to lound music and sleep deprivation?

No, the argument comes down to traditional military operations versus counterinsurgency/counter-terrorism operations.

Sorry, I have to board a plane or I would write more. (And you know that's not a cop-out from me. :P)

Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

well then i guess the left doesn't mind speaking german, russian, or what ever the fuck they are speaking in the middle east.

And they don't want to speak 'mukan ... the language of the people that invaded them.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Well we did not need to create massive slave labor and death camps to beat the Nazi's... although we did throw a bunch of Japs into some pretty harsh places out of stupidity.

I guess you would have been good with that back then.

We won WWII because we did what it took, period. We didn't let anyone or any thing stand in our way and we used anything that we could, including the bomb. was dropping the bombs on 2 major cities in japan was not the human thing to do but it did save poss hundreds of thousands of american lives. but i guess that would have been ok with the liberal left to not use something that actually saved our guys.

You very tricky...I see now that we Republican's will need to rewrite the district maps to our favor.

You guys already did that from 1994 to 2006

There was also that special software in the Dibold machines that counted most Democratic votes as GOP votes...... unless there were not enough to ensure a majority.. then it just added a few thousand GOP votes "randomly"

in order to win a war you must be willing to go at least 1 step further than who you are fighting. anything less is a waste of time and effort. showing weakness (like pulling out of the war, releasing prisoners, or even having a large percentage of the population show outrage for the war itself) only instills confidence and resolve in the ones you are fighting and makes the war harder to fight and win and that ultimately costs more lives, time and resourses.

Blues,
Dave

to not become him you must first defeat him.