normiss

Closing Gitmo.

So by closing this prison, do we really run the risk of some of the prisoners there ending up in the US legal system?
If so, could that expose them to the Nation of Islam inside our prisons?
Spread their message?
Released on our streets due to a weak legal case?
What are the risks to the ones we return to countries that don't want them?

Curious after some of the things I saw and heard today...although I think the issues were already on the same schedule our new President has placed on them anyway.

I hope they send the worst prisoners to the supermax in Colorado. I dunno... if it were me, I'd order them all to take a ride in a C130 over the Carribean, open the giant tailgate, and force them out at 5000 feet. >:(

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'd order them all to take a ride in a C130 over the Carribean, open the giant tailgate, and force them out at 5000 feet.

The torture and subsequent murder of un-tried people sounds a lot like something a terrorist would do, doesn't it?

It is important for the US to demonstrate that we are willing to hold ourselves to a higher standard. That means upholding human rights, providing swift and just trials, and being "better than the other guy".

Doing dick shit like waterboarding and saying it's not torture, or trying to justify torture by questioning patriotism or suggesting it's worth the "win" is foolish and generates more enemies for the US.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

I'd order them all to take a ride in a C130 over the Carribean, open the giant tailgate, and force them out at 5000 feet.

The torture and subsequent murder of un-tried people sounds a lot like something a terrorist would do, doesn't it?

It is important for the US to demonstrate that we are willing to hold ourselves to a higher standard. That means upholding human rights, providing swift and just trials, and being "better than the other guy".

Doing dick shit like waterboarding and saying it's not torture, or trying to justify torture by questioning patriotism or suggesting it's worth the "win" is foolish and generates more enemies for the US.

.jim

Ok.

Now to address the problem. What do we do with all of the prisoners? To my knowledge, Portugal is the only country that has agreed to help out. Britain and Germany are considering it, but haven't committed. Many prisoners don't want to return home for fear of harm by militants (for possibly cooperating with the US) or their governments (for possibly being a terrorist). Even if Gitmo needs to close, signing an order to do so without a plan was jumping the gun... putting the horse before the carriage, if you will.

Something I found interesting; 4 of the 5 men in Gitmo accused of plotting the September 11th attacks are supposedly against Obama's halt to the trial. Not sure why and I find it odd.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

O.K Now the rights and wrongs of Gitmo have been 'debated' [sic] here many times so there's no point rehashing that expired equine.... It happened but how do you fix it?

If there is sufficient (untainted) evidence that anyone of those held is guilty of anything in the countries that they were taken from, then the US should go through the normal legal process of Extradition used between that country and the USA. Then that person can be tried under the US legal system. Otherwise they should be returned to the place that they were taken from and that country can sort them out.

The UK, Germany, Portugal et al.. should not be pressured into taking any but their own legal citizens. Who should pass through the relevant legal system.

Anyone found guilty of crimes in the country that they were taken from (or a valid extradition process followed to a US court) should be dealt with accordingly and those not found guilty of anything should be assisted in making a suitable claim against the USA.

Bottom line America - your government fucked up here big time and needs to get it's house in order in a civilised and legal way. The rest of the world has a duty to ensure that you do the right thing but no responsibility to take any of those people (except maybe their own citizens) off your hands.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

What do we do with all of the prisoners? To my knowledge, Portugal is the only country that has agreed to help out. Britain and Germany are considering it, but haven't committed.

Bush was your chimp, you clean up his shit.

O.K Now the rights and wrongs of Gitmo have been 'debated' [sic] here many times so there's no point rehashing that expired equine.... It happened but how do you fix it?

If there is sufficient (untainted) evidence that anyone of those held is guilty of anything in the countries that they were taken from, then the US should go through the normal legal process of Extradition used between that country and the USA. Then that person can be tried under the US legal system. Otherwise they should be returned to the place that they were taken from and that country can sort them out.

The UK, Germany, Portugal et al.. should not be pressured into taking any but their own legal citizens. Who should pass through the relevant legal system.

Anyone found guilty of crimes in the country that they were taken from (or a valid extradition process followed to a US court) should be dealt with accordingly and those not found guilty of anything should be assisted in making a suitable claim against the USA.

Bottom line America - your government fucked up here big time and needs to get it's house in order in a civilised and legal way. The rest of the world has a duty to ensure that you do the right thing but no responsibility to take any of those people (except maybe their own citizens) off your hands.

They have alraedy declaced 3 different classes of prisoners. 1 Those they will release. 3 those they will look at evidence and how it was gathered and see if they can find a country that will take them if we want to let them go and 3 those that are known to be too dangerous to be let go and too dangerous to go through the legal system. Lifw eill not change for class 3. All that will change for them is where they are kept. Ya, he fixed it:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

What do we do with all of the prisoners? To my knowledge, Portugal is the only country that has agreed to help out. Britain and Germany are considering it, but haven't committed.

Bush was your chimp, you clean up his shit.

And you Brits kicked all the Jews out of Europe which created Isreal. You clean up the middle East.

Man this passing the blame so we all don't have to work together to create a better world is great! I feel the weight of the world coming off my shoulders already and Peace is right around the corner.:S
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>>So by closing this prison, do we really run the risk of some of the prisoners there ending up in the US legal system?

Some of them always should have been in the US legal system: those that the US claims have violated US criminal law, but do not qualify as POWs under the Geneva Convention.

>>If so, could that expose them to the Nation of Islam inside our prisons? Spread their message?

So they'd all start wearing cut-off pantyhose on their heads and red bowties? Big deal.
Or are you worried about violent gang-bangers becoming al-Quaeda? Look at it this way: violent gang-bangers are already domestic terrorists; all you'll be doing is making a bigger dent in the Crips and the Bloods.

>>Released on our streets due to a weak legal case?

Doubtful, unless they sought political asylum or permanent immigrant status and were deemed by a US court, after an evidentiary hearing, to not be a threat outside incarceration. Otherwise, I suppose they'd be deported.

>>What are the risks to the ones we return to countries that don't want them?
Well, now, there's a moral condundrum: We incarcerated them; we no longer want to hold them; but if we return them to their nations of citizenship, they'd be tortured or killed, so morally and legally we really can't do that. Seems to me that's a mess we created, so we'll have to fix it, and it's our tough luck we have to. Hmm... I hear there's a ranch in Crawford, Texas that has plenty of space, and could use some hired hands.

First, I don't see this accomplished within a year. Second, President Obama is relying on the fact that a couple countries in the EU are willing to talk about it. The EU certainly isn't going to just open its doors like that. Third, worrying about what constitutional rights, or mockery of the courts these guys and the ACLU will wreak, where will they go if they came to the US.

Fort Leavenworth is not equipped as I understand it, but I could be wrong. Moving these detainees to the US will also pose a real political suicide option to any legislator that doesn't fight it vehemently.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

OK, lets do it!!! (general post not replying to anyone)

CAIRO, Egypt — An Internet posting purportedly by Al Qaeda in Yemen says the group's second in command is a Saudi national released from Guantanamo in 2008.

The militant, Said Ali al-Shihri, is suspected of involvement in a deadly bombing of the United States Embassy in Yemen's capital, Sana, in September. He was released to Saudi Arabia in 2007 and passed through a Saudi rehabilitation program for former jihadists before resurfacing with Al Qaeda in Yemen, the New York Times reported Friday.

The posting by the Yemeni group — known as "Al Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula" — surfaced on Wednesday on jihadi Web sites that regularly carry Al Qaeda messages.

Al-Shihri says his prisoner number in Guantanamo was 372.

The statement says al-Shihri attended a meeting of Al Qaeda commanders in Yemen during which the top leader gave an interview to a local journalist.

"The lesson here is, whoever receives former Guantánamo detainees needs to keep a close eye on them," an American official told the Times.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Abraham Lincoln

And you Brits kicked all the Jews out of Europe which created Isreal. You clean up the middle East.

Well, Britain ceased to be responsible for Israel after the Israelis declared independance in 1948 which presumably meant they want to look after their own shit. But if you think Israeli independence should be ignored, should we also ignore the US declaration of independence? We could help you out with Gitmo then. Deal?

Jeeze mate ... don't saddle us with that real estate again... we've not long since got rid of it (and made it look like they won it)..... all those whinging fat folk that can't speak the language propa.... No Thanks!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

They'll be released to cut the throats of American's as Obama tries to pussy foot the US back to popularity......[:/]

The REAL pussies are the ones who are so shit-scared of the terrorists that they're willing to sacrifice the best of American ideals.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

"The lesson here is, whoever receives former Guantánamo detainees needs to keep a close eye on them," an American official told the Times.

Just send 'em to Detroit!

duh.....
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Jeeze mate ... don't saddle us with that real estate again... we've not long since got rid of it (and made it look like they won it)..... all those whinging fat folk that can't speak the language propa.... No Thanks!!

:D:D:D:D Sorry Tone.

Just send 'em to Detroit!

duh.....

Could, but they (Detroil officials) will have to fight Murtha for them!:D
Abraham Lincoln

The REAL pussies are the ones who are so shit-scared of the terrorists that they're willing to sacrifice the best of American ideals

That’s just needs to be said again. It seems we live in a reverse universe. To send our troops to die for nothing blindly is patriotic and supporting them, yet if you fight so they don’t go to war you’re a pussy who hates the troops.

It is crazy how fucked up moral compass’ have gotten, but guess what people might die, and we will not be able to have full control. That’s the price of freedom, and if a few of us die suck it up cupcake! in our history many people have given there lives for what we stand for why should we be the generation that lets fear win?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

.jim

People who are not willing to do what is necessary to win wars will eventually be oppressed by people who are.

We DO hold ourselves to a higher standard. That's why our "torture" consists of waterboarding, sleep deprivation, and playing old Dean Martin records real loud. Their's consists of rape with splintered broomsticks, daily beatings, genital eletrocution, and a variety of other wonderful things.

Get a grip on reality before you are a muslim by force.

Idiots. Geez.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

People who are not willing to do what is necessary to win wars will eventually be oppressed by people who are.

We DO hold ourselves to a higher standard. That's why our "torture" consists of waterboarding, sleep deprivation, and playing old Dean Martin records real loud. Their's consists of rape with splintered broomsticks, daily beatings, genital eletrocution, and a variety of other wonderful things.

Get a grip on reality before you are a muslim by force.

Idiots. Geez.

+1
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne