RALFFERS

Gas Prices Going Up, Again?...

Yes, I blame our current economic affairs on the oil industry as a whole.

people signing mortgages that they didn't read or understand just might be the bigger problem. i blame our current economic affairs on the basic stupidity and need for instant gratification of most people today. i say, let the recession come, its when those who actually prepare for bad times get the reward they deserve for being smart and patient.

Normally I would agree with you, but even those that prepare for the future are sometimes caught in the landslide.

I have a conventional mortgage. To many I'm golden. My 1st and second mortgage combined are only about 600 a month, less than rent on many places here. Both are paid ahead about 2 months, and gaining more ground.

I have a savings. It will get me through a short period without starving.

I just went through a bankruptcy.

I am going through a divorce.

less than 2 months of unemployment and I'd lose everything. Period. No exceptions.

In a recession, there's no such thing as planning for the future. All bets are off. Did the great depression teach this country nothing?

Oh, that's right, our schools are too interested in hitting the graduation numbers, instead of actually teaching our children. I hated U.S. and World History in high school. But I did learn. And I'm not liking the way we are headed right now.

an interesting statistic. money issues is the number 1 cause of divorce.

my favorite money talk guy (Dave Ramsey) recomends 6 months emergency funds. I keep 12. everything changes in a year.

I was building houses until bottom fell out. i did get stuck with my last one, like alot of builders, but my project was different. i built it with cash. yep, every time a sub contractors bill came in, it was payed with cash. its rented now, a very poor ROI, but its still mine, and not the banks. no income for TWO years, but being in the risky spec building business, i kept 100 grand in reserve...thats what my parents taught me. i burned through the 100 grand, living my life, re-adjusting our game plan, starting different businesses that are less likely to be taken out by recession.

did the great depression teach us anything? you bet. it taught my parents to want what you have, act your WAGE, and dont use your house like an ATM. it taught them and they taught me to never have a car payment, (i drive a 20 year car that i keep running great by turning a wrench once a month) lock in your mortgage rate, use CASH, work on your car, fix your own washing machine, grow some of your own food, collect some scrap waste lumber to heat your home(its 35 outside, 78 inside using some scrap lumber in the wood stove, hell the heater on this house has a blown control panel, guess I'll fix it someday)....in other words...be as self reliant as you can, because there are storms and dust bowls in the future. my parents are well off now, but they still enjoy a spaghetti dinner.

i agree with you than IN a recession it is the worst time to plan for the future, you have had to plan BEFORE the recession. then you can survive and thrive. i was selling homes for $150 SF, which cost me $85 SF to build. Now, I am buying homes for $75. Every 7 to 10 years this happens...not quite sure why people fail to see it coming...again, and again, and again.

i am not lecturing you. i wish people would be more self reliant, more aware of their situation, and not so spoiled rotten. but then again, if that were the case, would i make a living off of them? would my wife be selling dozens of bank owned properties, making money off the "ass end" of the market?

This kinda irked me http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/13/markets/oil/index.htm

I suggest the U.S. remove our military from this contry and let them fend for themselves. Why do we protect someone that constantly trys to screw the world >:(

You think that one did, try this one:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/09/news/economy/carbon_tax/index.htm?postversion=2009010916

More gas tax? COME ON! ENOUGH ALREADY!

Federal tax on gas is 18.4 cents per gallon. My state tax is 51.3 cents per gallon.

That's 69.7 cents from every gallon I buy going to the governments. :S And they want more?

I heard some people saying a little bit ago, wondering if gas would go sub $1 like it did here a few years ago. I told them not to count on ever seeing that again, since it would mean gross revenue of 30.3 cents per gallon. With minimum markup, that's not enough to cover marketing, production, transportation, ect, not to mention the small business owner that actually tries to run the gas station.

Wonder why that bottle of Mountain Dew is a buck in a vending machine, but a buck fifty at the gas station? Now you know.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Wonder why that bottle of Mountain Dew is a buck in a vending machine, but a buck fifty at the gas station? Now you know.

the highest markup and resulting profit in fast food is beverages. Drink water.

Prices have trended up because supply has been reduced - gas refineries have cut production, esp here in CA where we need a specific blend that can't be imported from anywhere.

This does raise prices, however so long as there is production capacity available, the massive run up on price seen last year is less likely. At the time, all capacity was being used. If we keep our usage down (5-6%?), we won't see the same run up this summer.

what can we do - not start buying 12mpg Dodge SUVs again. It might be in the national interest for Chrysler to disappear forever - their fuel economy is a joke across the board.

and the Feds still have to push the CAFE standard without delay. It's vital to national security.

This kinda irked me http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/13/markets/oil/index.htm

I suggest the U.S. remove our military from this contry and let them fend for themselves. Why do we protect someone that constantly trys to screw the world >:(

They aren't trying to screw the world; they are reacting to lower demand for their product. I live in an oil exporting region and the AMERICAN oil companies that dominate are laying people off left right and centre. Grab a first year economics text and check out the shape of the supply curve. When prices fall suppliers supply less volume.
People on here like Rev Jim talk about how we need nice low gas prices for a year or two to get things going again. The problem with that is that almost all exploration is shutting down. This will lead to more shortages later. Low prices will also threaten the viability of alternative energy start ups. If you put on your tin foil hat you can even see the multi-nationals buying them up at huge discounts.
Oil prices at >$70.00 are here for 1 year at most. If it persists any longer than that it is because the depression is truly upon us.

Post your projections of how bad it could be this time around... B|

I predict that it will be back around $3.50/gal this summer, around $5/gal next summer and then it will slowly creep up to about $9/gal (adjusted for inflation) around 2016, when we start to feel the effects of true supply decline due to peak oil. A few years after that is when it starts to get really expensive, like to the point that it shuts down society as we know it. I think we are all gonna die.:|

I base this prediction on the half dozen or so oil blogs and websites that I read on a weekly basis and the several hours of reading from various sources that I do most every week. I hope I'm wrong. Ask me if I think that alternative fuels will come online in time to avoid a disaster, and thats a whole other long discussion.