RALFFERS

Gas Prices Going Up, Again?...

I heard a blurb on the local news tonight about gas prices going up again (I don't doubt it) - the full news story will be aired tomorrow; I'm not getting up at 4:00am to watch it though. Looks like all good things must come to an end. :|[:/]

Post your projections of how bad it could be this time around... B|
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

The week between Christmas and New Year's, it was $1.45 average in Alabama and Georgia along I-20, and I filled up for $1.20 in South Carolina then.

Now, it's up 20 cents to about $1.65. I don't know whether it's going to continue rising, but I wouldn't be surprised.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Really bad... few people can afford to eat burritos, so the gas production will be way down over the next few months...we could try to go green an eat broccolli, but that's not quite a good source of gas ....
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Really bad... few people can afford to eat burritos, so the gas production will be way down over the next few months...we could try to go green an eat broccolli, but that's not quite a good source of gas ....

I agree. And I will say that Broccoli and cheese soup actually does a better job of giving you the running shits than giving you gas. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree. And I will say that Broccoli and cheese soup actually does a better job of giving you the running shits than giving you gas. B|

Don't forget that the good ole Dr who ran his SUV on lyposuction remains is out of the country now... so we will have to import human fat (an additional cost to our economy)...

>:(>:(
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

The week between Christmas and New Year's, it was $1.45 average in Alabama and Georgia along I-20, and I filled up for $1.20 in South Carolina then.

Now, it's up 20 cents to about $1.65. I don't know whether it's going to continue rising, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Hell Billy - there was only 1 week in recent times that I paid $1.65 for gas, and that was 2 months ago. The average, even when prices were at their lowest was between $1.75-$189/ Now it's back up to $2.10.

Perhaps this time we could try to do something about it before it gets out of control again....

....actually I forgot, this is 21st century America, we don't do sht but complain.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Perhaps this time we could try to do something about it before it gets out of control again....

....actually I forgot, this is 21st century America, we don't do sht but complain.

What do you have in mind?

I'll go for anything; as long as it's not a mass chain-letter type e-mail.

Well...I think the ONLY way is to keep demand down...but for some reason, I don't think the oil indy works that way anyhow.

I dunno Ralffers, nobody seems to know sht anymore...its like all the rules changed....

Perhaps there needs to be some type of government sanctions....

sorry, thats all I got...:|
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Well...I think the ONLY way is to keep demand down...but for some reason, I don't think the oil indy works that way anyhow.

I dunno Ralffers, nobody seems to know sht anymore...its like all the rules changed....

Perhaps there needs to be some type of government sanctions....

sorry, thats all I got...:|

Price went down because demand went down. Waaaay down. Our recession had an effect on the country that was a major cause of the demand increase.

China.

Their industry has been booming, and their oil demand has been going up in leaps and bounds. Demand goes up, our oil/gas prices go up, and people can't afford to buy much, or just don't buy. China has a problem. Demand for their products dropped (because we, among other major consumer countries, aren't spending) which caused their oil demand to also drop.

Demand down, prices down. Now we start driving more again (finally) and our demand starts inching up, along with prices to go along with it.

Rotten evil cycle. What we need is like 6 months of steady low oil prices before people actually start buying again.

The problem is, that by that time, nobody will have jobs. [:/]

OK, before the flames start, I KNOW it's not just China, but they are a major factor, and a good example.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Price went down because demand went down. Waaaay down. Our recession had an effect on the country that was a major cause of the demand increase.

China.

Their industry has been booming, and their oil demand has been going up in leaps and bounds. Demand goes up, our oil/gas prices go up, and people can't afford to buy much, or just don't buy. China has a problem. Demand for their products dropped (because we, among other major consumer countries, aren't spending) which caused their oil demand to also drop.

Demand down, prices down. Now we start driving more again (finally) and our demand starts inching up, along with prices to go along with it.

Rotten evil cycle. What we need is like 6 months of steady low oil prices before people actually start buying again.

The problem is, that by that time, nobody will have jobs. [:/]

OK, before the flames start, I KNOW it's not just China, but they are a major factor, and a good example.

It wasn't China they had a small impact but it was Exon, speculators and private trading exchanges that drove the prices up. Like most artificial bubbles it finally popped juts like the .com, housing have.

There have also been reports of speculators buying oil and storing it on tankers waiting till the price balloons again so tell me that they don't have a dirty hand in prices again B|

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/08/60minutes/main4707770.shtml

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jan2009/db2009018_370800.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article481363.ece

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2008/05/speculators-ii.html
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

It wasn't China they had a small impact but it was Exon, speculators and private trading exchanges that drove the prices up. Like most artificial bubbles it finally popped juts like the .com, housing have.

I wouldn't say a small impact, but even if it was comparatively minor, a "small" impact can, and does, have a major impact when a global market is considered. China was the driving factor in increased demand.

The thing about speculation is you need a reason to think that prices WILL go up. In oil that is largely based on demand, though somewhat on supply as well (think OPEC embargo).

Speculators believed demand would constantly increase, led the way by China. What the speculators didn't forsee is the effect those overly inflated prices would have on our spending, as well as that in many other developed countries.

Demand did increase, but it hit the invisible wall that they did not see. What they never expected is that we would actually stop spending, and cut back our driving, thus reducing our demand. Anyone have any statistics on scooters and bicycles sold in 2008?

Yes, I blame our current economic affairs on the oil industry as a whole.

For most of middle America, driving isn't an option. It's a necessity. And for those driving the backbone of our economy, the farmers and truck drivers, fuel price has become the deciding factor between eating or being able to keep a business afloat.

Where's the government bailout for them?
It's your life, live it!

Anyone have any statistics on scooters and bicycles sold in 2008?

I bought my bike in 2007... :P but unfortunately only ride it in spring/summer/early fall...

Same here, but didn't really start riding it much until last summer.

It's -4F here right now. I'll be taking the 12mpg city 18mpg hwy Dakota, thankyouverymuch! [:/]
It's your life, live it!

I bought my bike in 2007... :P but unfortunately only ride it in spring/summer/early fall...

It's -4F here right now. I'll be taking the 12mpg city 18mpg hwy Dakota, thankyouverymuch! [:/]
I started riding in the late fall but stopped for the winter and then picked it back up in the spring... At least my Mazda gets 25-30 mpg...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

China increased use by 500,000 barrels while the U.S. had reduced use by in the same time 400,000 (not taking in consideration of Europe’s reduction as well) leaving a short fall of 100,000 but the market is appeared to be a short fall of 600,000 due to the speculators the holding of the contracts the had.

It is a problem when speculators control 70% of the oil contracts, It no longer the producers, dealers and users of oil in control any more is the speculators that have no vested interest in the market other then driving the price to make money for them selves.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I started riding in the late fall but stopped for the winter and then picked it back up in the spring... At least my Mazda gets 25-30 mpg...

With our massive snowfall this year, and a combined effort by both the city and county to not do a damn thing until the ruts through the snow will hide a Camry, the 4 wheel drive is very much needed. I think I've gone over 3 or 4 weeks now without putting it back in 2 wheel.

Some day I'll leave this place, when the kids are out of school. And I WON'T be looking back sadly.
It's your life, live it!

With our massive snowfall this year, and a combined effort by both the city and county to not do a damn thing until the ruts through the snow will hide a Camry, the 4 wheel drive is very much needed. I think I've gone over 3 or 4 weeks now without putting it back in 2 wheel.

Some day I'll leave this place, when the kids are out of school. And I WON'T be looking back sadly.

Here we've just had snowfall/winter storm... scares... and frankly it's kind of getting annoying to hear the news say we're going to get hit hard then wake up to find that nothing really has happened... :|

I just love weather men... one of the only jobs that you can be wrong 9 times out of 10 and still get paid... I am definitely in the wrong field... :S:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

people signing mortgages that they didn't read or understand just might be the bigger problem. i blame our current economic affairs on the basic stupidity and need for instant gratification of most people today. i say, let the recession come, its when those who actually prepare for bad times get the reward they deserve for being smart and patient.

people signing mortgages that they didn't read or understand just might be the bigger problem. i blame our current economic affairs on the basic stupidity and need for instant gratification of most people today. i say, let the recession come, its when those who actually prepare for bad times get the reward they deserve for being smart and patient.

Normally I would agree with you, but even those that prepare for the future are sometimes caught in the landslide.

I have a conventional mortgage. To many I'm golden. My 1st and second mortgage combined are only about 600 a month, less than rent on many places here. Both are paid ahead about 2 months, and gaining more ground.

I have a savings. It will get me through a short period without starving.

I just went through a bankruptcy.

I am going through a divorce.

less than 2 months of unemployment and I'd lose everything. Period. No exceptions.

In a recession, there's no such thing as planning for the future. All bets are off. Did the great depression teach this country nothing?

Oh, that's right, our schools are too interested in hitting the graduation numbers, instead of actually teaching our children. I hated U.S. and World History in high school. But I did learn. And I'm not liking the way we are headed right now.
It's your life, live it!

I've seen gas prices as low as $6.4 here lately. It's really nice compared to the prices this summer where they nearly hit $9. (With today's exchange rate.)

(: