pop

Shitty public use of a gun by a cop

Probably has been posted already, but here is cops abusing guns (video in the article shows actions prior to shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/08/BART.shooting/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

I hope this cops gets life.

The progression of the story was something.

First it happens, and the usual immediate reactions occur (cops bad or punks bad)

Then the family fires a lawyer notorious for inflaming situations and a lot of people leaned towards "punks bad."

Then the videos started popping up everywhere, leaning back to bad cop. BART floats the idea that he thought it was the taser.

And the final straw - the cop quit to avoid having to explain himself. That pretty much sealed the deal.

But the vandalism against Oakland and Oakland cops seems a bit silly, missing the point.

huh? So the vandals should have trashed the public transit system instead? Also, how did we come to the conclusion that the cops in question are corrupt?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

huh? So the vandals should have trashed the public transit system instead? Also, how did we come to the conclusion that the cops in question are corrupt?

Refusal to explain why he shot a guy in the back.

It could have been accidental (negligent), but he won't even try to explain why there is a dead person.

And the final straw - the cop quit to avoid having to explain himself.

The guy (wisely) lawyered up pretty quickly - his lawyer probably told him to STFU and not say a word to BART. Just because he's not undergoing an internal inquiry it doesn't mean that he won't have to answer in a court of law at some point. I do agree that it raises red flags about him as a potentially guilty party, but from a strict legal standpoint it was probably the wisest course of action.

Downtown Oakland is ... interesting ... today ... I was working from home but walked into downtown to donate blood at a blood drive. The drive happened to be at the same building that BART HQ is ... and for the first time ever I was asked for building ID to enter (I was a little confused till I remembered that's where the BART board would be meeting). Security had a couple side entrances to the building blocked off and had guards posted outside the doors that remained open to check ID. I was able to get through by saying I was going to the blood drive, and could have also produced appropriate ID (since my employer also has offices in that building).

Around 11 my employer sent out an email urging downtown Oakland employees to basically "lay low" and avoid going to meetings in that building if they could. At 1, they sent another message releasing downtown employees for the day - encouraging people to leave no later than 2. They said they didn't anticipate violence from the protestors or an immediate threat, but wanted us all out of the area early rather than being around when it got dark (this time of year, of course, it's already dark when many people are finishing their workdays).

So ... tensions are definitely up after last night's protests turned violent.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

don't park on the street, either.

Fortunately I live well away from downtown *and* have garage parking.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi pop,
Saw the video of the cop un-holstering his pistol (not reaching for any taser!!) definitely taking his time, (he knew damn well what in he2xl he was doing) and blassted the guy! At least James Butler was holding a good hand (aces and 8's I think) when he got shot in the back!! Leave it to "The Only Ones'"

"'Approaching Critical Mass!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The officer has been charged with homicide and was arrested in Nevada last night, has waived extradition and should be back in Alameda County today.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/14/BAJE15A6O2.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

The officer has been charged with homicide and was arrested in Nevada last night, has waived extradition and should be back in Alameda County today.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/14/BAJE15A6O2.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Amid talk that the DA rushed to charge him in response to the demonstrations, rather than actual process being followed.

The story that the cop thought he was pulling his tazer is pure bullshit. If a cop doesn't know his weapon from his tazer and where they are located on his person, then in my opinion he is a moron and should never have been on the force in the first place.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

The story that the cop thought he was pulling his tazer is pure bullshit. If a cop doesn't know his weapon from his tazer and where they are located on his person, then in my opinion he is a moron and should never have been on the force in the first place.

Well spoken from the safety and comfort of your computer chair, sir. With your telepathic prowess giving you the knowledge that the "the story that the cop thought he was drawing his taser is pure bullshit", why didn't you pre-emptively call them and remind the cop to make sure he drew his taser and noty his duty weapon?

I guess many departments have gone to crossdraw holster for the taser versus a 'ride-behind' holster is just because it looks cooler, right? It CERTAINLY couldn't be because cops have mistakenly drawn their pistol when meaning to draw their taser, could it?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That's basically it. The guy was a moron. Do you REALLY think that with the guy cuffed and with another cop holding him that "Well, I guess we should just shoot him!" Either he fucked up and thought it was his taser or his finger twitched. It's happened before.

Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZlcbJwfP4

Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzUVdDpyMzY&feature=related

Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

How can you accidentally discharge a weapon if your finger isn't in the trigger guard...

... methinks people should be remembering their safety drills.

I believe our armed response wear their tasers on their chest as opposed to on their belt. That is reserved for their secondary.

EDIT: Appears I was worng, it varies force to force but different position appears sensible. The fact the tasers are bright yellow helps too!

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/Forces/Greater_Manchester/GMP_Citations/2008_Terry-webXL.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bRGe5G5Jr9Mu/340x.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_03/copwomDM604_800x918.jpg - Ignore the 'journalism'. Shitty national rag you wouldn't even use to wipe your arse with.

Well spoken from the safety and comfort of your computer chair, sir. With your telepathic prowess giving you the knowledge that the "the story that the cop thought he was drawing his taser is pure bullshit", why didn't you pre-emptively call them and remind the cop to make sure he drew his taser and noty his duty weapon?

Mike, here you go again with the "heat of the battle" argument. LEOs operate in higher risk, higher stress environments than us. As such, they need to be able to perform well under stress. Accidents that result in "negligent deaths" (guns don't accidently go off, do they?) are unacceptable. Particularly in a situation that appeared to have multiple officers covering a single individual already.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Hi mn,
Maybe there "was" a taser on his belt but from the video and the elapsed time from when he put his hand on his pistol until its' discharge he had ample time to figure out whether or not he had his "Taser" or his "Pistol" so go figure?? No "X-Ray" vision involved! 'You been watchin' too many old Buster Crabbe movies on the old Cathode ray tube!! Everything today is done with "Lasers!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

It is conceivable that this was an accident driven by thinking it was the taser.

However...don't see valid cause for tasering a guy facedown on the ground, and I've already stated my belief that the taser can't be treated as less than lethal force, esp in a case where the threat level is questionable.

And because the cop lawyered up and will never testify as to what happened, we'll never see that explanation, or accidental in general, put forth.

It is conceivable that this was an accident driven by thinking it was the taser.

I agree.

However...don't see valid cause for tasering a guy facedown on the ground, and I've already stated my belief that the taser can't be treated as less than lethal force, esp in a case where the threat level is questionable.

I agree with this in principle, as well. That said, I'd still rather take a taser hit than a bullet, all else being equal.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706