akarunway

Should the USA isolate?

Being this country can be as strong as it once was (other than militarily) why don't we just step back and take care of our own? Thoughts.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

yes pull back a little. If I was a US taxpayer I would want my taxes going to help my own country not wasting 10 billion in iraq etc.

Quite often the USA tries to do the right thing but
ends up with egg on its face and no thanks from the rest of the world. Get your economy back in shape which will in turn help the stock markets around the world. That huge deficit has to be rained in.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Being this country can be as strong as it once was (other than militarily) why don't we just step back and take care of our own? Thoughts.

... and actually, you probably couldn't survive on your own .. We all need each other to run the world efficiently. Just take a look at who owns the companies in our countries... if they all pulled out and if you isolate, no one to buy your products either - where would you foreign exchange funds come from and how would you pay your foreign debts then?

... just watch the economy implode

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Depends on what you mean by step back.

Should the military come home? Yes, put them to work on the borders, or assisting law enforcement.

Should we cut off trade relations? No, we live in a world economy.

We should have a military presence that deters attack and responds quickly decisively, and leaves the message that the US is not to be target, but there is no need to be "securing" other countries, or doing other government's "policing" work.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

No America needs the world, and if the US wants a chance of keeping its status it needs to be involved in the rest of the world but also needs to realise that it does not rule the world.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Should the military come home? Yes, put them to work on the borders, or assisting law enforcement.

JP - you really do NOT want to see that happen.

Should we cut off trade relations? No, we live in a world economy.

Agreed. A pull back from a world economy would create an even larger ripple in the current financial markets. We could, however, do with some balanced trade of our products and services.

We should have a military presence that deters attack and responds quickly decisively, and leaves the message that the US is not to be target, but there is no need to be "securing" other countries, or doing other government's "policing" work.

I agree with, "a military presence that deters attack and responds quickly decisively, and leaves the message that the US is not to be target," However, by supporting and securing democratic policy in other countries that may not have an adequate military; we actually deter attacks on the US.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

We tried that...twice before...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Depends on what you mean by step back.

That is, however, counter to DoD policy:

DoDD 3000.05 “Military Support to Security, Stability, Transition and Reconstruction Operations,” issued November 2005, states
It is DoD policy that:

4.1. Stability operations are a core U.S. military mission shall be prepared to conduct and support. They shall be operations and be explicitly addressed and integrated across doctrine, organizations, training, education, exercises, materiel, and planning.

4.2. Stability operations are conducted to help establish and values. The immediate goal often is to provide the essential services, and meet humanitarian needs. The long-indigenous capacity for securing essential services, a viable democratic institutions, and a robust civil society.

and

DoDD 3000.07 "Irregular Warfare," issued December 2008, states
It is DoD policy to:

a. Recognize that IW is as strategically important as traditional warfare. Many of the capabilities and skills required for IW are applicable to traditional warfare, but their role in IW can be proportionally greater than in traditional warfare.

b. Improve DoD proficiency for IW, which also enhances its conduct of stability operations. Stability operations are a core U.S. military mission that the Department of Defense shall be prepared to conduct across the full range of military operations in accordance with DoD Directive 3000.05.
So either military policy is out of sync with intentions/desires of the populace or the populace hasn’t caught up?

Those two directives are potentially the most significant changes to the DoD since Goldwater-Nichols Act institutionalized “Joint,” imo.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Absolutely not. That would be the worst thing we could possibly do.

Isolationism and protectionism would do nothing but harm the US and the global economy as a whole. Vice such a route, the US should LEAD - first and foremost putting the Doha Round center stage and getting it finished.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Isolationism has a long history in the U.S. It's the main reason we stayed out of the First World War for so long, until we finally couldn't stay out any longer and so jumped in - and finished it in less than a year (ah, those were the days...).

It's also why we stayed out of the Second World War, while the Nazis were running all over Europe and the Japs were gobbling up all of Asia. Even after Pearl Harbor, we only declared war on Japan, it was the Nazis who declared war on us. That second war was a tough one, we'd let things go so far that we almost lost - something they don't teach you in school. The only reason we pulled that one out of the fire is because a.) we made a pact with the devil by allying ourselves with the Soviet Union, and b.) we won a three way race for who could make the atom bomb first.

It would be grand to tell the rest of the world to fuck off while we settle down at home and roast chesnuts over a fire, but it just isn't possible. We still need oil for starters....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I've seen the state of your engineering...

Prob best you keep your borders open :P

Do you have an issue with the F22, F35, B2, M1A2 tank, GPS satellites, cell phone technology, the internet, and other US engineered products?

Don't confuse US engineering with US engineering management which has made some really bad decisions.

I'm talking mechanical engineering.

Those Mars Rovers seem pretty mechanical. How many robotic vehicles has the UK sent to other planets?

with engines from switzerland!? :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Any kid who played a real-time strategy game knows that you must control as much of the world's scarce resources as you can. It might be spice, or it might be oil...

I made very good friends w/ a lot of the m.e's on the last powerhouse we built. 90%. Nice guys but dumb as rocks. I told a few I was thinking about going back to school and getting my degree. (in ME) They said don't bother. We're a dime a dozen. I think they were making 600-1000 a week. The smartest I met were the asian guys. Sharp as a tack. We had like 50 in one room. (Bechtel). Hell. I was making a couple grand a week. They killed me w/ the paperwork and the beancounters tho. Think I'll stick to the tools on the next one. Less headaches. They didn't call my office the HEADACHE SHACK for nothing.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I made very good friends w/ a lot of the m.e's on the last powerhouse we built. 90%. Nice guys but dumb as rocks. I told a few I was thinking about going back to school and getting my degree. (in ME) They said don't bother. We're a dime a dozen. I think they were making 600-1000 a week. The smartest I met were the asian guys. Sharp as a tack. We had like 50 in one room. (Bechtel). Hell. I was making a couple grand a week. They killed me w/ the paperwork and the beancounters tho. Think I'll stick to the tools on the next one. Less headaches. They didn't call my office the HEADACHE SHACK for nothing.

www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Mechanical_Engineer/Salary

Those Asians you mentioned, would they by any chance have come to the US to get their engineering degrees?