micro

Caroline Palin / Sarah Kennedy

>Downside is that it corrodes. Years ago this was abig problem for
> automobiles, but the manufacturers have done a temendous job in
>corrosion prevention and my 2003 Ford with 160,0000 miles has no body
>rust at all and very little elsewhere.

The bigger problem is rust on bridges and other infrastructure. It causes billions of dollars worth of damage and occasional loss of life when bridges collapse due to corrosion. Often the decision to not use salt is a smart financial one rather than an environmental one.

Quite right.
When writing my post I was thinking back to when I served as a township trustee. We had about 40 miles of roads, mostly gravel, to care for and the only kind of bridge we had to worry about was an occasional culvert.

I really miss being a trustee. $10.00/day for any day we worked more than 2 hours, long hours in the winter plowing roads, grading roads and cleaning ditches in the summer.
NOT! :P
No matter what we did, how hard we worked, there was always somebody pissed off at us because our decisions didn't work out to their personal advantage.

Were Amazon and Kallend living there?

Believe it or not, there was a man who was much worse than both of them combined. :|
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

What's so great about salt, anyway? Seems rather corrosive. I'm glad CA only uses sand. My AWD seems to handle it just fine.

Salt has several advantages. It is cheap, easily obtainable, environmentally friendly, easy to apply, melts ice (above app.20F) and gives extra traction, easy to store, and comes in handy when making homemade ice cream.

In Washington state, industrial wastes containing greater than 10 percent sodium chloride are regulated as toxic and must be managed in a manner consistent with other hazardous wastes. If I remember correctly, it's because of the compound's LC-50 for freshwater fish (toxic category D per WAC 173-303-100).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The whole 'can see Russia from here' certainly didn't help.

Amazing how the WHOLE quote never gets said, isn't it? Of course, the WHOLE quote is actually true and can't be used to slam her.

"They're our next-door neighbours and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Amazing how you didn't include the question she was answering. Of course in CONTEXT her response was inane, and a perfectly good reason to slam her.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks [ref the Russia-Georgia fiasco], does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

Ever been to Adak?

Personally, I've not stopped in Adak, but I've driven past it several times.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Amazing how you didn't include the question she was answering. Of course in CONTEXT her response was inane, and a perfectly good reason to slam her.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks [ref the Russia-Georgia fiasco], does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

Yes, it was a clumsy answer. It looks even worse without the context of the entire interview.

Of course, it was almost drowned out by all the news shows' coverage of Joe "Three letter word - JOBS" Biden and Barack "Uhhh" Obama.

Oh, wait...

Ever been to Adak?

Personally, I've not stopped in Adak, but I've driven past it several times.

Out of curiosity, how long of a drive down the Aleutians *is* it to Adak?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What's so great about salt, anyway? Seems rather corrosive. I'm glad CA only uses sand. My AWD seems to handle it just fine.

Salt has several advantages. It is cheap, easily obtainable, environmentally friendly, easy to apply, melts ice (above app.20F) and gives extra traction, easy to store, and comes in handy when making homemade ice cream.

In Washington state, industrial wastes containing greater than 10 percent sodium chloride are regulated as toxic and must be managed in a manner consistent with other hazardous wastes. If I remember correctly, it's because of the compound's LC-50 for freshwater fish (toxic category D per WAC 173-303-100).

Blues,
Dave

Since 50,000 tons of rock salt are spread on Washington roadways each year they must view it's NaCl content differently than industrial waste.
HAMMER:

Blues,
Dave

Since 50,000 tons of rock salt are spread on Washington roadways each year they must view it's NaCl content differently than industrial waste.

It's put on the roads as a product not a waste. The argument could be made that this is a "use constituting disposal", but since they make the rules, it probably wouldn't stick.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Out of curiosity, how long of a drive down the Aleutians *is* it to Adak?

With decent weather and nothing fancy to drive...about two days. If you drop from 18 knots to 12, it'll take three. ;)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

I thought this tangent started with the statement that Washington doesn't salt the roads?

CA does not, and I think the impact to the streams next to the major highways (esp 50) is one reason.

I thought this tangent started with the statement that Washington doesn't salt the roads?

CA does not, and I think the impact to the streams next to the major highways (esp 50) is one reason.

That is one of the reasons it is not used in the Seattle area. The salt would be a detriment to the survival of the young salmon in the gravel beds in local streams. Nearly every freshwater stream in Western Washington has a salmon run. You can watch the runs going thru the urban streams in several places every fall to lay their eggs. Many people here realized the importance of saving salmon habitat, it makes economic and environmental as well as traditional sense.

That is one of the reasons it is not used in the Seattle area. The salt would be a detriment to the survival of the young salmon in the gravel beds in local streams. Nearly every freshwater stream in Western Washington has a salmon run. You can watch the runs going thru the urban streams in several places every fall to lay their eggs. Many people here realized the importance of saving salmon habitat, it makes economic and environmental as well as traditional sense.

Is not all of upcountry Washington in Salmon country as well? I mean all that snow in the passes ends up in the western Wa. watersheds or in the Columbia; so will the salt.

Is not all of upcountry Washington in Salmon country as well? I mean all that snow in the passes ends up in the western Wa. watersheds or in the Columbia; so will the salt.

I've been an occasional-to-frequent traveller over Snoqualmie for nearly 20 years and don't think I've ever seen them salt it...it would just take too much. I-82 gets salt mixed in with gravelly sand on a regular basis, as do drier stretches of I-90 and many suburban roads in eastern Washington. Personally, I don't see much salting anywhere, and I'm cool with that.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

I think it did, too.
It seems reasonable that the effect of dissolved rock salt would vary from region to region. As trustee, we tested salinity levels in streams that the roads drained into. Levels during mid winter and spring meltoffs were within the range experienced the rest of the year. This could be from many factors including amount of runoff, natural salts in the soil, amount of slat put down, etc.
HAMMER:

Grossly overstating? No, not hardly. True there is negative press about CK, but it hasn't nearly reached the vitriolic level as did the SP stuff. Not even close. Why? B/c she's a Kennedy and she's a democrat. .

I suspect it's more because:
A-she's not running for VP with a near-death, flip-flopper as a running mate;
B-CK is NOwhere near as ignorant as Sarah Palin, who most now recognize as a last-ditch attempt to save a failing campaign. Her good looks and 'folksy' manner of speaking belied the ignoramus that laid not-so-far beneath the surface, however...CK at least has an education with a law degree from Columbia, and receiving degrees from Radcliffe and Harvard. More privileged? Surely. Yet also a far cry from a 7 school shuffle that ended with a BA from the University of Idaho.
At least CK can form complete sentences, even if she is fond of "you-knowing" listeners to death.:P

I suspect it's more because:
A-she's not running for VP with a near-death, flip-flopper as a running mate;
B-CK is NOwhere near as ignorant as Sarah Palin, who most now recognize as a last-ditch attempt to save a failing campaign. Her good looks and 'folksy' manner of speaking belied the ignoramus that laid not-so-far beneath the surface, however...CK at least has an education with a law degree from Columbia, and receiving degrees from Radcliffe and Harvard. More privileged? Surely. Yet also a far cry from a 7 school shuffle that ended with a BA from the University of Idaho.
At least CK can form complete sentences, even if she is fond of "you-knowing" listeners to death.

Oh oh..the right wingers will be here to attack any minute..... with little jems like this... since WE do not agree to hate all Kennedy's:ph34r:

I love their snide little PA's

Save your breath. She's moved so completely into irrelevancy it's not even funny. And you are a right-wing nut job, face it. If you disagree Amazon, you're a kool aid drinking, bible totin, sex-hatin, bush lovin right winger whose only mission in life is to subjugate her and oppress her and somehow infringe on her rights by your thoughts. The sooner you embrace this truth, the happier we will all be.

I love their snide little PA's

There's no PA in there, hon. And you should know, b/c you're the queen of them.

And I have no desire to rebut the senseless blather of the poster you replied to, it's the same bullshit prejudice that people like you and he and so many other are famous for. It's such a shame really, that we live in such a society where an whole segments of society, i.e. leftist loonies, have their entire view of someone shaped by what they're fed. And you think Christians/Right Wingers are mindless drones who can't think for themselves? Lordie, if that isn't the funniest part of this whole thing...

back to the same old song on SC... I guess the Obama Change Express hasn't caught up to y'all just yet.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

And I have no desire to rebut the senseless blather of the poster you replied to, it's the same bullshit prejudice that people like you and he and so many other are famous for. It's such a shame really, that we live in such a society where an whole segments of society, i.e. leftist loonies, have their entire view of someone shaped by what they're fed. And you think Christians/Right Wingers are mindless drones who can't think for themselves? Lordie, if that isn't the funniest part of this whole thing...

back to the same old song on SC... I guess the Obama Change Express hasn't caught up to y'all just yet.

What a load of cock squirt

Personally I prefer my politicians to have more than 2 digit IQ's....

Then you have YOU and the other right wing partisans.. that seem to pick Bible Spice and her vast level of.. ya sure you betcha.....politics based on?????? how she looks....... her ability to completely fail at teaching the family values you seem to prize so much?????

I am sorry but it seems you are SWALLOWING a whole lot of something coming from FAUX NEWS....

Then you have YOU and the other right wing partisans.. that seem to pick Bible Spice and her vast level of.. ya sure you betcha.....politics based on?????? how she looks....... her ability to completely fail at teaching the family values you seem to prize so much?????

I am sorry but it seems you are SWALLOWING a whole lot of something coming from FAUX NEWS....

What is so completely hilarious in all of this is that you actually believe the shit you just wrote. You actually believe I'm glued to O'Reilly and Hannity and have never read HuffPo in my life. What I've learned about you over the years is that your thought processes are so concretized that there is no point in trying to wake you up with facts. They don't make it past your filters.

I have never said that Palin was so incredible. There were certainly things I liked about her. I think there is plenty to like. But there were some things to not like as well. She was not a complete package. She wasn't the GOP ticket's savior, clearly, but neither is she a female Forest Gump. Those of you who cling to that view of her betray your own Gumpiness. I had reservations about her as did most people.

This difference b/t me and you is that I can see nuance, shades of grey, the good and the bad, etc. I don't have to completely idolize or, in your case, devalue someone based on ideologies or political party. That is why I vote according to conscience and not party lines. That is why I have no problem pulling a democratic lever instead of a republican one. Or an independent one for that matter.

All you have are ad hominem attacks that completely lack substance. That is why you have sunk into irrelevance.

What it says about me that I keep repeating this is that I have my own Gumpiness about me... but what can I say, I'm a sucker for tall women who are in ideological distress ;)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I have never said that Palin was so incredible. There were certainly things I liked about her. I think there is plenty to like. But there were some things to not like as well. She was not a complete package. She wasn't the GOP ticket's savior, clearly, but neither is she a female Forest Gump. Those of you who cling to that view of her betray your own Gumpiness. I had reservations about her as did most people.

Yeah right...It must have been a horrible fight.. with the little head being the deciding factor.... over the negetive things the big head knew.... as usual for so many.... the little head won... Just as it happened to John McBush :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah right...It must have been a horrible fight.. with the little head being the deciding factor.... over the negetive things the big head knew.... as usual for so many.... the little head won... Just as it happened to John McBush :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

/sarcasm/ another incredibly substantive post. will you ever put up anything that even remotely resembles honest debate?
nah, didn't think so.

Good night everyone, Happy New Year.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Oh thats right.. its not on FAUX NEWS.. so it cant be true....

Not to worry... you will have another 8 years to go on and on and on about blow jobs more than 8 years ago....

I just love rubbing it in/.....

Most of us here realize that the prejudice of you and your fellow travelers on the fringe right is unbounded in vehement vitriolic hate for any Kennedy.

OOPS you forgot about that.... Face it Bible Spice is exceedingly derisive.. just returing the favor.

Seems the red koolaid drinkers out there dont deem anyone but themselves endowed with patriotism and rights

my experience is there are a LOT of very lonely very ODD men in Alaska who would vote for a pretty face over substance in a heartbeat

That is MY opinion... too fucking bad if you dont like it.

You want some fromage with all the whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine????

And when the HATE level goes thru the roof at the very mention of a Kennedy name.... I usually expect to find Vinny there along with the rest of the far right posters who hate any and every Kennedy as they have been taught to all of their lives....

Its a QUACKIN and a WADDLIN..... It must be a what.... a MOOSE

Love the back waddlin.... QUACK QUACK

Gee I have not even missed a day of work.... might I add at many times the average wage paid to most of your part of Florida.. where my mother was born.. and was smart enough to escape... LONG ago.. thank god.

Awww poor little guy.. that the best you got.. make a lame ass attempt at a PA???

love it when one of our red koolaid types.. starts believing what the Drive By Media as they love to call it... is handing out...

It certainly does fit certain people here..... sorry I dont duck step to your favorite drummer

QUACK .... QUACK ...QUACK...... Lotsa ducks around these days.

No I got the hell out of FLyover JesusLand long ago.. as soon as I was old enough to leave home.

Oh oh..the right wingers will be here to attack any minute..... with little jems like this... since WE do not agree to hate all Kennedy's

Yeah right...It must have been a horrible fight.. with the little head being the deciding factor.... over the negetive things the big head knew.... as usual for so many.... the little head won... Just as it happened to John McBush

While what you say clearly represents you well do you think it gives any credibility and support to the issues that you are discussing? Do you think that name calling, bashing, attacking or telling people that they are not your friend anymore makes people even remotely give consideration with any credibility to your post? Is there a reason why you blame others for YOU getting banned because of YOUR actions? You might want to read THIS. Look at Billvon, we have had heated debates here that are about as intense as they can get but do you see Bill be disrespectful, degrade where people live or resort to childish name calling……..NO!

I wish you well and hope that 2009 brings you peace all the best that life has to give.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

..... Oh yeah someone I used to give credence to

Just imagine how bad he must feel about that.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG