micro

Caroline Palin / Sarah Kennedy

..... Oh yeah someone I used to give credence to

Just imagine how bad he must feel about that.

:D:D:D I always get the shivers whenever I accidentally agree with Amazon on something.

Amazon; I'm probably regarded by most on here as being around as lefty as you can get, but I fully agree with the righties on this one - the way you post makes you look like nothing but a bad joke.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

..... Oh yeah someone I used to give credence to

Just imagine how bad he must feel about that.

:D:D:D I always get the shivers whenever I accidentally agree with Amazon on something.

Amazon; I'm probably regarded by most on here as being around as lefty as you can get, but I fully agree with the righties on this one - the way you post makes you look like nothing but a bad joke.

Jeanne, please take note. C'mon, raise the tone would ya? I've looked forward to coming back and engaging in some fun-loving banter, but you've really made it... not so fun.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

I think she was given a hard time about that because she said that the close proximity of Russia to Alaska gave her foreign policy experience not whether the statement was true or not.

Alaska has two borders - refresh my memory of what states those abut to, would you? I also refer you to the "Governor's Office of International Trade".

I can't seem to find any international trade agreements done by the Annenburg Challenge.

In Reply To

I think she was given a hard time about that because she said that the close proximity of Russia to Alaska gave her foreign policy experience not whether the statement was true or not.

Alaska has two borders - refresh my memory of what states those abut to, would you? I also refer you to the "Governor's Office of International Trade".

I can't seem to find any international trade agreements done by the Annenburg Challenge.

ummmm... that has nothing to do with the post you wrote which I responded to. Please reread what you wrote and then read what I wrote.

She is also a Kennedy which, in my mind as well as many others, makes her among the bottom 10% of prospctive appointees

Of COURSE it does.

Most of us here realize that the prejudice of you and your fellow travelers on the fringe right is unbounded in vehement vitriolic hate for any Kennedy.

Oh I dunno Jean, I've been a pro-Kennedy sometime Democrat for a long time, but I'm rather put off by Caroline's bid for Hillary's seat. It utterly smacks of entitlement and I even voted for Uncle Ted one time back in Massachusetts.

Hillary's seat is something of a "carpetbagger" seat. It is the very same seat the Bobby Kennedy moved to NY and ran for in 1964. He defeated the incumbent Kenneth Keating, but created a great deal of resentment for just walking in from the state next door and using the seat to advance his own career - which is exactly what he WAS doing, his tragic assasination aside. (By the way, when RFK was assasinated, Gov. Nelson Rockefeller appointed Congressman Charles Goodell to the seat. Goodell was defeated by James Buckley - a Connecticutt carpetbagger - in the 1970 election).

Then in 2000, Hillary Clinton pulls the same stunt, moving to NY and challenging Alphonse D'Amato, who she defeated fair & square AND has since won re-election. But she also created the same resentment as RFK did and I have a number of old friends in New York who are glad to see her go, as they feel she's done nothing to help upstate NY's economy, which has been in bad shape even in the recent good years.

BUT both RFK and Hillary RAN for the seat in open elections, where they had to appeal to the voters. And like them or not, they both won, both unseating incumbents. I'd call that fair enough.

But Lady Caroline, even if she HAS been a New Yorker since her teen years, seems to think she's just entitled to the seat - because she is, God save us all - a KENNEDY (fall down and genuflect three times, I'll wait...). And she's not even going to the voters. She's going to the ONE vote that will fill the seat, which is Governor Patterson. And he's so far shown the colossal nerve to have not already appointed her, though the seat won't really be vacant until Hillary resigns it.

All the other Kennedys, like 'em or not, have had to run for their offices. Why shouldn't she ? Shouldn't New Yorkers have SOME kind of say over who will represent them, even if it IS a carpetbagger seat ? Even if the governor's appointment will legally fill the seat for the next four years ?

And by the way, her name is Schlossberg - has been for over twenty years now, though I guess she forgot.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

We will not see the complete saturation of hate filled rhetoric from the media as we did w/ Palin. In part this is b/c it's just a senate seat.

As I mentioned in my other post about Lady Caroline, at least the other Kennedys ran for office in open elections. And so did Sarah Palin. She got elected Governor of Alaska and not so good as Vice Pres. of the U.S.

I don't hate Sarah Palin. I sure as hell didn't want her to win and I think her candidacy may have helped McCain to lose the election, especially in some of the swing states. But I never hated her. She gave Tina Fey plenty of material to make us all laugh - even Gov. Palin herself, if I saw her guest appearance on SNL correctly.

But I don't think "the media" beat up on her. she really didn't do very well at some of her interviews and her competence was a real and legit issue. And she's still got Alaska.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) that Senatorial appointments by state governors are only until elections can be called, so wouldn't that mean that Kennedy's appointment would be temporary?

Does the NY state constitution say different?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) that Senatorial appointments by state governors are only until elections can be called, so wouldn't that mean that Kennedy's appointment would be temporary?

Nope. Election in two yrs.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Nope. Election in two yrs.

Thanks - I figured there would be some sort of provision for a special election in that instance, but I guess not.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I read an interesting story yesterday (don't have link now) - historically (this is nationally), senators appointed mid-term by governors only win re-election to a full term 1/3 of the time: 1/3 win, 1/3 lose & 1/3 don't run.

[tbrown] (By the way, when RFK was assasinated, Gov. Nelson Rockefeller appointed Congressman Charles Goodell to the seat. Goodell was defeated by James Buckley - a Connecticutt carpetbagger - in the 1970 election).

I lived in NY state back then, too. As I recall, he ran as a 3rd-party candidate, on the Conservative Party ticket. He also had name recognition by being James F. Buckley's brother. Anyhow, Buckley sucked away votes from Goodell, who was Republican, and did well in Upstate NY, which was pretty heavily Republican/Conservative. He then did 2% better than the Democrat (Ottinger), and that was the ball game. Had Buckley not run on the 3rd-party, Goodell probably would have won.

I read an interesting story yesterday (don't have link now) - historically (this is nationally), senators appointed mid-term by governors only win re-election to a full term 1/3 of the time: 1/3 win, 1/3 lose & 1/3 don't run.

That may be true but those who don't get appointed only win the next election (in NY) on out of every 19 million times.