micro

Caroline Palin / Sarah Kennedy

Perhaps because I live in the REAL Ameirca that she discounts so easily.

Would that be the America where they allow all commerce shut down for a week, because they are too stupid to put down a little salt, that might wash into the Pacific Ocean?

Love the back waddlin....

QUACK

QUACK

I believe I have posted factual and relative infomation as well as my opinion. If you have any evidence that I have not, post it. Otherwise you are just trolling.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

You're grossly over-stating the tired, old "liberal media conspiracy" slogan on this one. Here are just a sampling of fairly negative articles about Caroline Kennedy over the past 2 weeks from NPR, The New York Times, CBS News, The NY Daily News, The Huffington Post, Newsday and the LA Times.

By the way, the Daily News article is entitled,
Caroline Kennedy no whiz with words
. The LA Times piece is entitled First, by golly, Sarah Palin; now, you know, Caroline Kennedy.

In all fairness, until the press makes untrue personal attacks on CK's family like they did about Bristol Palin, the press is still biased. Whether she is running for Senator or VP, it doesn't matter, family matter's like that should be off limits.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Perhaps because I live in the REAL Ameirca that she discounts so easily.

Would that be the America where they allow all commerce shut down for a week, because they are too stupid to put down a little salt, that might wash into the Pacific Ocean?

Of course by "allow all commerce to shut down" you really mean "reduce the attraction of malls & megastores while promoting small businesses", right? In any case, what business is it of your's if a city at the opposite corner of the country has a different approach to environmental protection than you? If you don't want CK to be your Senator, don't move to New York. If you expect the city to hop-to and cater to your wishes when it gets a little slick out, don't move to Seattle. I actually live in Washington state, and couldn't care less whether Seattle salts the roads. We had snow and/or ice on our roads for the last couple of weeks, and I'd have preferred the city/county not have done anything. I expect some slick roads in the winter and you should expect some hurricanes. It's pretty simple, really.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hey its you guys who are bitching and whining about CK.... and its you guys who are extolling the virtues of Bible Spice... If you include a

some text

then I have to assume you meant to comment about that which is in the reply to...

:S:S:S:S

And when the HATE level goes thru the roof at the very mention of a Kennedy name.... I usually expect to find Vinny there along with the rest of the far right posters who hate any and every Kennedy as they have been taught to all of their lives....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I repeat the question...What the hell are you talking about??? You are taking off on tangents that are off of tangents that are off of tangents. The posts you are making are just so much gibberish I don't know if anyone can make sense of them.
I don't hate Kennedys, I don't idolize SP (or even like her for that matter) or any of the other things you are accusing me of.
Maybe all your posters of Bill Clinton are keeping you from seeing the writing on the wall...the writing that says PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO DISAGREE WITH YOU and the writing that says THESE PEOPLE AREN'T ALL RADICAL RIGHT-WINGERS!

Save your breath. She's moved so completely into irrelevancy it's not even funny. And you are a right-wing nut job, face it. If you disagree Amazon, you're a kool aid drinking, bible totin, sex-hatin, bush lovin right winger whose only mission in life is to subjugate her and oppress her and somehow infringe on her rights by your thoughts. The sooner you embrace this truth, the happier we will all be.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Awww poor little guy.. that the best you got.. make a lame ass attempt at a PA???

What cha fraid of.. getting kicked off DIZZY again????

Well, let's see...
While I was on my two week "vacation" I was informed by the mods what constitutes a PA and what doesn't. I was also informed that well over 90% of what you post is only intended to piss off other posters. With that in mind any attempt at any kind of PA would only be giving what you want, and that ain't gonna happen. And, yes, I am cautious of getting a vacation from SC again.
So, I'll ask again. Do you have anything intelligent and/or constructive to add to the discussion? Where is any evidence that I am in any way a right-winger as you claim? Or are those thinly veiled PAs?
HAMMER:

I have no loyalty to any political party, i prefer rum and tequila (but not mixed together!), I am agnostic, love a meaningless names-are-optional romp in the hay, I think Bush is a moron, and don't wish to subjugate, opress, or infringe upon anyone's rights.
But I see your point. Since I don't adopt her views on everything then I MUST be all that you say she thinks I am.
She is right about one thing. I enjoy a glass of Kool-Aid once in a while.
HAMMER:

What's so great about salt, anyway? Seems rather corrosive. I'm glad CA only uses sand. My AWD seems to handle it just fine.

Salt has several advantages. It is cheap, easily obtainable, environmentally friendly, easy to apply, melts ice (above app.20F) and gives extra traction, easy to store, and comes in handy when making homemade ice cream.
Downside is that it corrodes. Years ago this was abig problem for automobiles, but the manufacturers have done a temendous job in corrosion prevention and my 2003 Ford with 160,0000 miles has no body rust at all and very little elsewhere.
HAMMER:

how exactly is salt environmentally friendly?

The worst instance of environmental damage done by salt (that I have witnessed) was after a salt truck tipped over and dumped it's entire load in the ditch. Most was cleaned up, and the only residual effect to the area was a spot of dead grass and weeds the next spring. By midsummer there was no sign anything happened.
Here's a link to a report on the environmental concerns of salt used to keep roadways clear.
www.saltsense.co.uk/deicing-environ01.htm
HAMMER:

>Downside is that it corrodes. Years ago this was abig problem for
> automobiles, but the manufacturers have done a temendous job in
>corrosion prevention and my 2003 Ford with 160,0000 miles has no body
>rust at all and very little elsewhere.

The bigger problem is rust on bridges and other infrastructure. It causes billions of dollars worth of damage and occasional loss of life when bridges collapse due to corrosion. Often the decision to not use salt is a smart financial one rather than an environmental one.

The whole 'can see Russia from here' certainly didn't help.

Amazing how the WHOLE quote never gets said, isn't it? Of course, the WHOLE quote is actually true and can't be used to slam her.

"They're our next-door neighbours and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Ever been to Adak?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Amazing how the WHOLE quote never gets said, isn't it? Of course, the WHOLE quote is actually true and can't be used to slam her.

I think she was given a hard time about that because she said that the close proximity of Russia to Alaska gave her foreign policy experience not whether the statement was true or not.

Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state

Salt has several advantages. It is cheap, easily obtainable

Ask yourself this.. where are the salt deposits at.. and how much does it cost to ship it to the far end of the country.. from where those vast paleozoic deposits exist. Rest assured.. its not cheap to ship millions of tons of the stuff out here.

I think she was given a hard time about that because she said that the close proximity of Russia to Alaska gave her foreign policy experience not whether the statement was true or not.

Alaska has two borders - refresh my memory of what states those abut to, would you? I also refer you to the "Governor's Office of International Trade".

I can't seem to find any international trade agreements done by the Annenburg Challenge.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Save your breath. She's moved so completely into irrelevancy it's not even funny. And you are a right-wing nut job, face it. If you disagree Amazon, you're a kool aid drinking, bible totin, sex-hatin, bush lovin right winger whose only mission in life is to subjugate her and oppress her and somehow infringe on her rights by your thoughts. The sooner you embrace this truth, the happier we will all be.

It certainly does fit certain people here..... sorry I dont duck step to your favorite drummer:S:S

QUACK .... QUACK ...QUACK......

Lotsa ducks around these days.

You're grossly over-stating the tired, old "liberal media conspiracy" slogan on this one. Here are just a sampling of fairly negative articles about Caroline Kennedy over the past 2 weeks from NPR, The New York Times, CBS News, The NY Daily News, The Huffington Post, Newsday and the LA Times.

By the way, the Daily News article is entitled,
Caroline Kennedy no whiz with words
. The LA Times piece is entitled First, by golly, Sarah Palin; now, you know, Caroline Kennedy.

In all fairness, until the press makes untrue personal attacks on CK's family like they did about Bristol Palin, the press is still biased. Whether she is running for Senator or VP, it doesn't matter, family matter's like that should be off limits.

I agree, unless they make them public. I imagine by now you've read in this morning's news that Bristol Palin has apparently been offered $300,000 in the bidding war for pictures of the latest product of her parents' conservative family values. Now that's the American way of life: capitalism at its best. ;)

It certainly does fit certain people here..... sorry I dont duck step to your favorite drummer:S:S

QUACK .... QUACK ...QUACK......

Lotsa ducks around these days.

like i said... irrelevancy... damn you look silly.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Salt has several advantages. It is cheap, easily obtainable

Ask yourself this.. where are the salt deposits at.. and how much does it cost to ship it to the far end of the country.. from where those vast paleozoic deposits exist. Rest assured.. its not cheap to ship millions of tons of the stuff out here.

Where did I say it was cheap to transport long distances?
www.wsdot.wa.gov/maintenance/pdf/SaltCom_09_09_2008.pdf
For most of the country salt is cheap. Some areas, as you pointed out , incur transportation costs that can double or triple the price.
HAMMER:

The bigger problem is rust on bridges and other infrastructure. It causes billions of dollars worth of damage and occasional loss of life when bridges collapse due to corrosion. Often the decision to not use salt is a smart financial one rather than an environmental one.

Quite right.
When writing my post I was thinking back to when I served as a township trustee. We had about 40 miles of roads, mostly gravel, to care for and the only kind of bridge we had to worry about was an occasional culvert.

I really miss being a trustee. $10.00/day for any day we worked more than 2 hours, long hours in the winter plowing roads, grading roads and cleaning ditches in the summer.
NOT! :P
No matter what we did, how hard we worked, there was always somebody pissed off at us because our decisions didn't work out to their personal advantage.
HAMMER:

Quite right.
When writing my post I was thinking back to when I served as a township trustee. We had about 40 miles of roads, mostly gravel, to care for and the only kind of bridge we had to worry about was an occasional culvert.

I really miss being a trustee. $10.00/day for any day we worked more than 2 hours, long hours in the winter plowing roads, grading roads and cleaning ditches in the summer.
NOT! :P
No matter what we did, how hard we worked, there was always somebody pissed off at us because our decisions didn't work out to their personal advantage.

Were Amazon and Kallend living there?