AggieDave

Flying with a firearm

Does anyone here have any personal experience with flying commercial and transporting firearms? I'm not talking about carrying on the plane, its honestly not worth the hassle to complete that process. I'm talking about checking your firearm. I've read the policies concerning what the airline requires. I just wanted some advice or suggestions from persons who have personally done this.

I'm not trying to travel heavy, not a full tactical load out or anything that extreme. Just a single weapon and two magazines worth of ammo.

The last time I flew commercial was in 1998 and I carried my old Spyderco Endura in my pocket. The airport security didn't care. Obviously my everyday knives that are carried will be in my checked luggage as well as my everyday carry gun.

Yes, I'm legal to carry where I'm going. I'm 50-state legal for concealed carry. If you would like to voice your disdain in regards to personal safety, please start your own thread.

Edit: changes made to make things more obvious that I'm flying commercial on a large carrier. Obviously jumping in your friend's C-210 and making a few hops is a LOT easier when flying armed. :P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The only ones that i thought were 50 state legal to carry concealed were Fed Agents? Otherwise did you get a concealed permit for each state? If you are a Fed agent then should be no problem getting on a plane with it, I have Border Patrol and Customs friend that fly packing all the time.

No problems here, Dave.
Pre-declare if you can (while making your reservations).
Just have to have the ammo out of the magazines and in a hard case.
You'll have to declare and fill out the paperwork.
They'll check the weapon and have you put it in the weapon case and lock it in front of them.
They'll have you place the locked weapon's case in your hard-sided to-be-checked case in front of them and lock it, then take it from you and put it on the luggage belt.

Note: I usually only fly Continental so I cannot speak to the other airlines, but assume its somewhat of the same procedure.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The only ones that i thought were 50 state legal to carry concealed were Fed Agents?

H.R.218 and S.2480 authorizes state and local law enforcement officers and honorably retired federal, state and local law enforcement officers to carry concealed firearms in any state and across state lines.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

There are other laws that have passed that allow quite a few people to be 50-state legal due to certifications and licensing. H.R. 218 is a recent one you can read up on.

Like I said previously, I'm not wanting to go through the hassle of actually carrying ON the plane. Its paperwork and a TSA headache that's not quite worth the trouble for this trip; however, I want to check a weapon and take it with me.

Cool! I didnt know that. I am a retired Peace Officer myself. Dont travel much though just North Dakota and Montana for the states and Saskachewan for Canada which no one as far as I know can even conceal a weapon. We used to have these Law Enforcement Info exchange meetings and when they were hosted across the bprder we would have to check our weapons at the border and when we hosted the meetings the RCMP could bring their weapons with them.

What about Identification for Retired Officers?

(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

`(1) a photographic identification [emphasis added] issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

`(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and

`(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Source: http://www.njlawman.com/Feature%20Pieces/HR%20218.htm

No problems here, Dave.

Same here.

Marty tends to use Hardigg cases - most durable, best latches. I like Pelican - especially since they re-designed the latches so that it won't tear up your fingers any more. Starlite works as well.

A rather recent change is that the locks now have to be "TSA approved". (which curiously isn't on the TSA website yet....) It kind of annoys me that "they" now require that the case be less secured (IMO). If you examine the TSA locks.... scary to think that anyone with that "TSA key" can access your case.

I used to be a fan of Pelican cases, but the last few I've had have had problems with latches breaking off with normal use. Hardigg is what I was going to buy for this trip.

I read about the TSA locks and that does kind of concern me, but we're trapped in that bullshit for now.[:/]

Baggage with a declared weapon in it is "supposed" to get a unique identifier on the luggage bar code.
You declare and check the weapon and on the other side it's missing and you report it; I'm thinking there's going to be a whole lot of bells and whistles going off from Point Z to Point A.

As it has been stated, just have a locking box and declare it at check in and be prepared to open it and place the orange firearm card in your lock box. I've carried a literal "box 'O Guns" and other non standard accessories in Pelican cases without issue. If its a large box or rifle case, don't be surprised if it doesn't come out on the carrousel when you go to pick up your bags. Sometimes they hold those bags at the baggage claim booth/office where you have to go and claim them in person.

Likewise, you can legally ship firearms to yourself if you don't want to go the airline route. PM me if you want details.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You might check with Kay ... pretty sure she brought John's pistol to him when we drove up to Alaska and she flew into Anchorage, so he didn't have to go thru Canadian customs with it (and boy, was THAT a good idea!!!).
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Cool thanks. As much "luck" as I've had with UPS lately, I actually trust the airlines more at this point. This time around its only a single handgun and two mags of ammo, so a small hard case in my luggage.

Next year (2010) I'm wanting to go to either Oregon or N. Carolina with a much larger load out. That is unless you follow through with what I've asked.;)

Cool thanks. As much "luck" as I've had with UPS lately, I actually trust the airlines more at this point. This time around its only a single handgun and two mags of ammo, so a small hard case in my luggage.

Next year (2010) I'm wanting to go to either Oregon or N. Carolina with a much larger load out. That is unless you follow through with what I've asked.;)

I've done it for years since 9/11. However, I've had great difficulty w/ some authorities in states with strict gun laws not honoring their own laws or federal firearn transport laws, honoring their own laws regarding transporting unloaded/locked guns, etc. Just be very careful if you want to transport in any locale where they are known to be hostile to private citizens owning/having/carrying/possessing firearms. Travelling through such places, even legally, may be treacherous. The worst place for this is White Plains/Westchester Co. NY, worse FAR worse than NYC.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

No problems here, Dave.

Same here.

Marty tends to use Hardigg cases - most durable, best latches. I like Pelican - especially since they re-designed the latches so that it won't tear up your fingers any more. Starlite works as well

It was announced at SHOT that Pelican bought Hardigg.

Fedex changed their rules so that you can't ship a gun to yourself unless you have a FFL, and federal law means that you have to tell them you're shipping a gun.

I haven't learned the hard way whether UPS rules have an exemption for shipments to yourself although they claim FFL on the sending or receiving end.

Maybe I should get a fresh C&R license.

It's been years and years since I've flown with a firearm. I made one flight to Alaska with a couple of scope sighted rifles in a (fiberglass foam-lined) case.

That case looked like it had been through a war when I picked it up. It must have been really thrown around. One rifle slid into the other. The barrel put a big ding in the stock of the other. Maybe there are better bag handlers now. Some may not like out of state hunters or something. At any rate I was pissed when I saw what had happened to my pet rifles.

So these are the lessons I learned.... if I do that again, I'm going to buy a better gun case. Two rifles in one case may not be smart. Pistols would travel fine, but a scope sighted rifle might very well be knocked out of zero by the time you get there, (not to mention other damage).

Crossing the Canadian Border with a pistol may be next to impossible now. In 1969 I drove to Alaska with a 22 pistol. They put it in a plastic bag with a lead seal. When I got to Alaska, I could take it out of the bag, but they checked the seal to make sure it hadn't been tampered with.

As far as I know, the average Joe can't bring a pistol into Canada now. I knew a truck driver who forgot he had a pistol and he tried crossing that border. He was in deep trouble for that.

Another time my wife went garage saling in Alaska. One of the things she bought was a flintlock pirate pistol. I forgot all about it until we were about to go through the Canadian check station. We decided not to say anything, in hopes they didn't find it. Luckily they didn't or people would probably still be bringing me cigarettes in jail. The RCMP don't take kindly to pistols.:)
I've never had any trouble crossing the border with rifles or shotguns. There is a minimum length on shotgun barrels. I've also heard you have to pay a fair amount of money for permits on long arms now. Anybody know more on that. I think they also require a pass-port now, when you travel in Canada.

So, that's my limited knowledge of traveling with guns.....

From the title, I have to assume this is a Point Break reference

"You have to drop the gun to pull the chute"

based on that, I don't think it's a good idea to fly with a gun - unless you have a holster to free up your hands to pull the ripcord

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, the last time I was in an airplane with a gun, I was using a Blade-Tech IWB with a Kimber, but I wasn't flying commercial and the pilot was carrying a gun too. It seems like pilots + jumpers + texas = weapons.:D

That reminds me of another story. It was pilot + Texas + jumpers + weapons = money + death.

Since I don't have any new stories I think I'll tell this one again.

We had a great jump pilot named Craig. He flew jumpers here in Montana.

I hadn't heard from Craig for years. One day I read his obituary in the paper. It said he died somewhere in Texas.

I found out later he was flying guns into Mexico. He was doing quite well at that profession. Then someone murdered him. They found his body in the bottom of an outhouse. It was a gun deal that had gone sour....

I always thought that Montana was kind of like the wild west, but Texas may have it beat.;)

That reminds me of another story. This one is Montana + pilot + gun + ex-wife + boyfriend = shootout + life in prison. This reminds me of doing algebra.:S

We had another jump pilot back in the 70's. He was a real quiet guy with lot's of money. He also flew helicopters in the National Guard.

He was married for a while. His woman ended up running off with another guy. So, this once fun loving jump pilot ended up shooting the boy friend with a 44 magnum. He caught them both in bed and promptly dispatched the boy friend Dirty Harry style.

I wonder if skydivers and jump pilots were crazier back then? Am I getting too far off subject?:)