christelsabine

It's Just Looking Like A Toy ....

The article actually says that Tasers were only given to specially trained forces in the UK, not to every police officer, so that's why there were zero deaths from them in the UK (since 2004) but there were 334 deaths from them in the USA (since 2001).

I wonder how that compares to nightsticks/batons.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I wonder how that compares to nightsticks/batons.

I think you'll find the deaths from batons pretty negligible
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How many citizens would have died at the hands of police if they had NOT had tasers available with which to subdue dangerous suspects?

After speaking with some friends who are police officers, and asking them their opinion on the use of the taser, that's exactly how they responded. The biggest advantage in their opinion is that the use of the taser has dramatically cut down on the use of force (i.e. fighting, use of nightstick/baton) required to arrest a violent/agressive subject.
How can I be so thirsty when I drank so much last night?

How many citizens would have died at the hands of police if they had NOT had tasers available with which to subdue dangerous suspects?

After speaking with some friends who are police officers, and asking them their opinion on the use of the taser, that's exactly how they responded. The biggest advantage in their opinion is that the use of the taser has dramatically cut down on the use of force (i.e. fighting, use of nightstick/baton) required to arrest a violent/agressive subject.

so you consider 100'000 volts shot through your body to be no force!?

how about you come over to my house, and i give you a nice buzz on the 230V electrical grid!? of course, with the taser, ampère is relatively spoken very low. but still..

ask ntrpnr, there's a nice video of him floating around where he's getting tasered at a fair, but i think it was a "civilised" version with only 50'000 volts. hits the floor like a bomb.

350 death in only 7 or 8 years!? since its coming from a guy that lives in a country that has an actual war going on where the "collateral damage" is up to 100'000 people, after "freeing" the country from a dictator that "only" killed around 250'000, i dont wonder wonder about such a comment.

lets both hope you never get stopped, and are too intoxicated to respond in a manner that the police men would have liked. or your pregnant wife. or your 11yrs old daughter..

such blunt statements are the exact reason why i stay out of SC most of the time. makes me want to grab an icepick and go berserk.. :S

"it's only a fleshwound!" :o:|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The biggest advantage in their opinion is that the use of the taser has dramatically cut down on the use of force (i.e. fighting, use of nightstick/baton) required to arrest a violent/agressive non-compliant subject.

Your cop friends are just a little off as far as I can tell.

If tasers were used only against violent/aggressive people, that would be great. However, they're actually being used widely as a compliance tool. Visit YouTube to see examples of tasers being used simply because the cop didn't like a "subject's" attitude.

. . =(_8^(1)

Given the choice of getting "shot" with the 100,000 volts, or getting the crap beat out of me with a baton (broken bones is the first visual that comes to mind), I think I'll go with the tazer option.
How can I be so thirsty when I drank so much last night?

Visit YouTube to see examples of tasers being used simply because the cop didn't like a "subject's" attitude.

yea, you might as well be victim 351 or however that count is. there are other non-lethal weapons with enough stopping power that are way less target of critique..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Given the choice of getting "shot" with the 100,000 volts, or getting the crap beat out of me with a baton (broken bones is the first visual that comes to mind), I think I'll go with the tazer option.

Those are not the only two options.
What did the Police officers do before tazres? Did they just shoot people who asked a question? Or did they just beat the fuck out of any one who refused to sign a ticket?

The problem is some police officers seem to think because it is a none lethal weapon they are allowed to shoot anyone with it without any protocol. The reality is over 300 deaths in 7 years makes it a lethal weapon.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

"90 per cent involved victims who were unarmed and did not pose a serious threat."-from the referenced article

Go on youtube and you can find numerous unarmed people not posing a serious threat to officers by attacking them and beating the officers up.
Lets also keep in mind that the officers don't know if the person is armed or not the majority of the time.
Let also keep in mind that "nearly one in five officers killed as part of a crime last year (2003)were shot with their own or a partner’s weapon, according to the National Center for Law Enforcement Technology."
If we approach this from the other direction we have to considered that thousands and thousands, maybe even tens to hundreds of thousands, of times police are approached aggressively by people requiring some action by the police officer to protect himself. Should he pull his gun or a taser?
"The report says "excited delirium" could explain why so many deaths have been associated with use of the devices.

In such a state, sufferers are often incoherent, violent or unco-operative. The condition is usually caused by drugs or psychiatric illness. It has previously been associated with deaths in custody, or "in-custody death syndrome."

"Definitive research or evidence does not exist that implicates a causal relationship between the use of CEDs and death," says the report. "Existing studies indicate that the risk of cardiac harm to subjects from a CED is very low."

The following quote from another source says it all.
"...the Taser study shows fewer injuries to police, and fewer deaths of those resisting arrest....."

So without tasers death to officers and those resisting arrests would be higher.

what happened to the good old pepperspray!? the new models are also shot with what i describe as "round-load" (fuck knows what that is in english, gun-powder or the things that makes that go off), so it doesnt affect others nearby, doesnt harm the shooter if he's into the wind and is much more effective than those that are powered only with aerosols.. its kinda hard to attack someone if you dont see and cant breathe..

besides the point, shouldnt police officers be kinda proficient with arresting-techniques and at least basic martial arts!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

... and only should be used by higly trained and responsible police men, of course:S Unfortunately, it kills!

Doesn't matter, John. 334 is far higher than I imagined it to be, and it was already unacceptably high to me prior.

It was sold in the past as a non lethal tool. Now they've stopped that line of argument, but it's still being used by cops as a non lethal tool without the political fallout of the baton, and that's the problem.

makes me want to grab an icepick and go berserk.. :S

Was that an intended irony (in your criticism of violence)?;)
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

On the whole, I would still rather be shot by a taser than by a bullet.

Remember that at least part of the anti-taser propaganda is sponsored by gun manufacturers that are worried about profit losses from less-than-lethal weapons. Sure, the security and police need to be better educated about the lethal potential, and use them with the same judgment that they would use a gun. It's not a toy.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

>Given the choice of getting "shot" with the 100,000 volts, or getting the
>crap beat out of me with a baton (broken bones is the first visual that comes to
>mind), I think I'll go with the tazer option.

Actually, the choice you will be presented with is to be wrestled into the back of a cop car, or shot with 100,000 volts and then wrestled into the back of a cop car. But if you're into electricity, that's cool.

Remember that at least part of the anti-taser propaganda is sponsored by gun manufacturers that are worried about profit losses from less-than-lethal weapons.

The gun industry isn't that big, and they're still selling the guns to cops anyway. Seems a bit implausible.

If tasers are unintentionally killing nearly 40 a year in the US, they aren;'t less than lethal weapons, and the 'propaganda' is truthful.