Gawain

U.S. anti-kidnap expert kidnapped in Mexico

U.S. anti-kidnap expert kidnapped in Mexico
December 16, 2008 - 0:32 ET

MONTERREY, Mexico (Reuters) – Mexican gunmen have kidnapped a U.S. security consultant who negotiated the release of dozens of kidnap victims in Latin America.

Gunmen abducted Felix Batista outside a restaurant last Wednesday in the relatively safe northern industrial city of Saltillo in Coahuila state, Mexican authorities and his employer, security consultancy ASI Global, said on Monday.

Batista, a Miami-based Cuban American credited with negotiating the release of victims abducted by Colombian rebels, was snatched after he stepped outside the restaurant, answering a call on his cellular phone, Mexican media said.

The U.S. embassy in Mexico City said it was investigating and declined to comment further.

"He may have been targeted by organized crime in an attempt to show their power. Saltillo is not a kidnapping hot spot," said a source at Coahuila state attorney general's office.

Batista's employer, Houston-based ASI Global, denied Mexican media reports that he was a former FBI agent and said he was on a private trip in Coahuila state near Texas, giving seminars on security.

"We have requested help from the FBI and the Mexican authorities," said ASI Global's President Charlie LeBlanc.

Hundreds of people are kidnapped in Mexico every year and the number of victims has increased sharply as drug gangs, under pressure from President Felipe Calderon's army-backed crackdown, seek new revenues to fund their operations.

Coahuila lawmakers last week sent a bill to Mexico's Congress to change the constitution to allow the death penalty for kidnappers who kill their captives.

More than 5,300 people have been killed in drug violence across Mexico this year as cartels fight each other over smuggling routes to the United States and clash with Mexican security forces seeking to restore security.

Copyright 2008 Reuters.

Aside from the "irony" factor, I'm curious about how this will affect his consulting business (assuming he survives, which I think he will). I see logic in both lines of thought:
--His career is done, he can't protect himself, let alone consult on this matter to others.
--He has greater value as a consultant now, able to adapt and overcome and adjust to perpetrators' TTPs.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

While I do see the irony in this, I personally don't think it really detracts from him as a professional. Anyone can be kidnapped. He was probably targeted because of his chosen profession. The kidnappers probably had help from the police. I think I would not plan any trips to Mexico.

U.S. anti-kidnap expert

The article describes him as a negotiator. That's an after the fact kind of skill. I see nothing that describes or implies that he is an "anti-kidnap expert"

The article states he's a "Security Consultant" and that he negotiated in a recent situation.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

While being embarrassing, the truth of the matter (if he survives and is released) is that he could possibly gain more credibility as he would have first hand experience(s) that directly relate to his profession that he could speak to.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING