Tink1717

Gun people (help needed ASAP)

OK, long story short, my wife is a retired cop. Her former partner is now on the run for being a serial rapist. We think he might show up here. What kind of home defense weapon would be the best for a situation that has a very short learning curve? I haven't fired a gun in 18 years, and would want something that is very user friendly. Any suggestions?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

OK, long story short, my wife is a retired cop. Her former partner is now on the run for being a serial rapist. We think he might show up here. What kind of home defense weapon would be the best for a situation that has a very short learning curve? I haven't fired a gun in 18 years, and would want something that is very user friendly. Any suggestions?

Mossburg 12 Ga. w/ a pistol grip. (ya can get off cheap) And shouldn't your wife have some handguns around. And what about the local PD. What they sayeth? A big dog too! ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

understand that it's GWBs fault that the guy made mistakes and that it's not his fault - society gave him a bad deal with no health care and global warming and all that stuff

try and give him a big hug when he shows up and leave those nasty guns alone

now that Obama is president, you wife's former partner will magically be a better person

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I too would suggest a short barrelled shotgun. I like 12 guage. Take the plug out for more shots. I've never used pistol grips on a shotgun. It may be quicker to point that way.

Remington makes a reasonably priced shotgun in the express model. I put a shorter barrel on mine. I use it mostly for turkey hunting, but it would work great for a home defense situation.

12 gauge pump action shotgun with an 18" barrel and regular stock.

Maybe a Mossberg 590 with the 8-round magazine.

Hi Tk,
Yer' screwed!! If you really think this dude will stop by your place first off, what do you think his "intentions" are?? Besides firearms, get a good lawyer first!! Probably start with a restraining order, a dial-a-prayer (security) sys. and the Mossberg. Get the short barrel, 12 ga. 6 shot 3" chamber and lots of 00Buck rounds. A couple of nice Jewish girls wouldn't hurt either.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Firstly, contact your local agency and give a patrol Sgt. the heads up. Not just their intake or their dispatch, talk to a patrol supervisor.

I'm a huge fan of the Mossberg 500 special. 18" barrel and pistol grip from the factory. 12ga pump that is super reliable.

Don't load slugs. You want something that won't over penitrate in the home but will give you a stress factor shot ability and stopping power. With an open choke and home defense distances you're much better off with a shot. Buck shot is the always popular option, for me I have steel bird shot loaded. It gives a a much better spread with short distances and more shot in that spread. Its a lighter weight pellet that will be less likely to go through the interior wall, the exterior wall and into your neighbor's house.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Buck shot is the always popular option, for me I have steel bird shot loaded. It gives a a much better spread with short distances and more shot in that spread. Its a lighter weight pellet that will be less likely to go through the interior wall, the exterior wall and into your neighbor's house.

I cannot disagree with the first suggestion about calling the patrol sgt. but the second and third I do. Regardless of which shotgun you get(real men and women use Remmy 870 ;)) DO NOT use bird shot in a home defense situation. Its called bird shot for a reason, its designed to kill small flying animals not humans intent on killing you. People get shot all the time with bird shot and are able to carry on no problem, thats not what you want when someone is in your house trying to rape and kill your family. There are several lines of thought on the "perfect" home defense shotgun round but I won't bore you with them. Since your engagement range will be typical interior home distances,probably low light to dark, 00 buck is a simple and effective solution to your problem.

You can get a decent shotgun at most gun stores for around $500 +/-. A 18" barrel is a plus as it is easier to use in a home but I do not recommend a pistol grip for home defense as most people don't know how to use them correctly and end up hurting themselves or simply missing the target. Get a regular stock and the shortest barrel they have in the store. The standard magazine tube is fine for your purposes,everything else falls into the "tacti-cool" category and is usually not needed.

If you want to kill birds, use birdshot. If you need to kill a human attacker , use buckshot.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If you want to kill birds, use birdshot. If you need to kill a human attacker , use buckshot.

People do get shot all the time with birdshot, its typically not under 10ft like in a home defense scenario . There's nothing wrong with buck shot its an obvious choice but when over penetration is a factor, I believe birdshot to be a viable option.

I thought real men carried Benelli Super90s, but if they only want to spend $200 they bought Mossberg?:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Like the common sense posts here. The Rem870 and Moss500 are great. I had a pistol grip 500 for years that was just scary as shit to look at. 7 rounds plus 1 plus a side saddle.

My thing is, within what is prudent, please let us know how this all pans out and I hope it doesn't come to anyting!!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Buck shot is the always popular option, for me I have steel bird shot loaded. It gives a a much better spread with short distances and more shot in that spread. Its a lighter weight pellet that will be less likely to go through the interior wall, the exterior wall and into your neighbor's house.

I cannot disagree with the first suggestion about calling the patrol sgt. but the second and third I do. Regardless of which shotgun you get(real men and women use Remmy 870 ;)) DO NOT use bird shot in a home defense situation. Its called bird shot for a reason, its designed to kill small flying animals not humans intent on killing you. People get shot all the time with bird shot and are able to carry on no problem, thats not what you want when someone is in your house trying to rape and kill your family. There are several lines of thought on the "perfect" home defense shotgun round but I won't bore you with them. Since your engagement range will be typical interior home distances,probably low light to dark, 00 buck is a simple and effective solution to your problem.

You can get a decent shotgun at most gun stores for around $500 +/-. A 18" barrel is a plus as it is easier to use in a home but I do not recommend a pistol grip for home defense as most people don't know how to use them correctly and end up hurting themselves or simply missing the target. Get a regular stock and the shortest barrel they have in the store. The standard magazine tube is fine for your purposes,everything else falls into the "tacti-cool" category and is usually not needed.

Agreed. I have 8 rounds of .00 in mine. Just have to hold on tight w/ a pistol grip. I chopped down a telephone pole w/ it last month. I'll post the pics.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Agreed. I have 8 rounds of .00 in mine. Just have to hold on tight w/ a pistol grip. I chopped down a telephone pole w/ it last month. I'll post the pics.
These redneck tactics are what give gun owners a bad name.

Yes, I'm stirring the pot.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Remington 870 12 gauge pump pistol grip. Best home defense weapon ever, especially if you Form 1 it and cut the overall length to 16".

I've always been under the impression that you had to have a class 2 manufacturers license to modify a shotgun. A barrel of less than 18" puts it under the AOW classification. Unless something has changed (I don't keep up with the details like I used to.), while you can purchase an AOW with the proper tax stamp. Modifying a firearm w/o a class 2 license is illegal.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

These redneck tactics are what give gun owners a bad name. Yes, I'm stirring the pot.

I have shot and killed another human being with a shotgun among other weapons in close quarters. I speak from experience, not conjecture. What are your qualifications to label what was said as "redneck tactics"? Scratch that, it's a rhetorical question. There are two types of people in a gun fight, the dead and the living. I know which one I want to be.:|
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

These redneck tactics are what give gun owners a bad name. Yes, I'm stirring the pot.

I have shot and killed another human being with a shotgun among other weapons in close quarters. I speak from experience, not conjecture. What are your qualifications to label what was said as "redneck tactics"? Scratch that, it's a rhetorical question. There are two types of people in a gun fight, the dead and the living. I know which one I want to be.:|
Did you miss the point about stirring the pot. My point was videos of people destoying cars, lawn furniture etc. with firearms usually show up in films like "The Dukes of Hazzard".

Since you asked, I served 9 years active duty as an 11 Bravo. I was put out in late 1992 on disability. For Tinitus in both ears and, believe it or not, flat feet. :S
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Semi Automatic Paint Ball Gun With A 200 Round Hopper. Freeze At Least 2 Dozen Of Them. Set It Up For 325 FPS. Get A Jacket With A Holder For A Co2 Canister, Have A spare, And Wear A Mask And Vest. If He Comes Around Bust His Ass. Picasso Out On His Ass! Paint Balls HURT.

We Were Gearing Down One Day Not Long Ago, And A Friend Of Mine's GF Was Playing Around With His Spyder And Shot That Poor Son-Of-A-Bitch Right In The Chest. The Round Knocked Him Off Of His Feet And He Had To Be Resussitated. He Had A Really Ugly Bruise And Goose Egg Between His Nipples For A Long Time. After He Came To, It Took 3 Of Us To Keep Him off Of His GF. (They Are No Longer Seeing Each Other, Go Figure)

Very Strong Messages Can Be Sent With Non Lethal Weapons.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

If you haven't fired a weapon in 18 years I'd suggest a pistol for you wife to carry. Sure shotguns are all well and good if you're not spot on target but they are only useful if you have them to hand, are you really going to carry it with you throughout your home? What about when you leave your home? (I don't know the law where you live). You wife is a trained cop and as such if recently retired may be the best person to carry. Getting twitchy with a 12 bore isn't a great idea,
I'd start out by notifying the local police department (If they don't already know) about the situation and your concerns, make sure that your neighbours know to and get them to let you know if they see anything or anyone out of the norm. Look at your home and assess the risk. Make sure your doors are sturdy and have good locks on them (You may have not been too worried in the past but your wife’s knowledge and experience will come into its own now). Make sure all your windows have locks on them and that your home is protected by motion detector lights (Make sure they face away from the house not towards it) remove any vegetation that could hide someone on the approach to your door and driveway in particular.
Make sure that your door number is clearly visible from the road and your premises are well lit. If you don't have one already get a peephole fitted in your door. Think about getting a camera that covers your door.
Do you have a plan for:
In event of Fire
In event of intruder
To get out of the building?
To remain in the building (Do you have a room that you can reinforce to make it a secure (Panic) room? If there a phone signal in there? Is there a phone charger in there?
Do you and your family vary the routes t work/school that you take? Make them and your depart time as random as possible. Have you got a home alarm? If not get one which has armed response/Police response.
Think about non lethal counter measures also.

Keep a phone in your pocket with a pre-programmed number to the Police.

Obviously there are to many unknowns here, such as your background/training if any. Your home, location etc.. What he actually wants from you/your wife. But IF you have no training in armed close quarter fighting your wife (so long as she is able) would be the safer opition.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

For home defense, I have a Remi 870 with alternating 00 and deer slugs.
Having said that, you're not going to be around your wife 24/7 and since it's about her protection.. consider the following:

You may need to protect her outside the home and carrying around an 870 in public ain't going to work.
She may need to protect herself if you're not around (safe to say a serial rapist is going to ensure success and not make a move while you're around?)

Would recommend you both get proper training and your CCW/P (I "believe" Maryland is now a "shall-issue" State) and continuously train. I know folks who get their CCP's and once they've gone thru the training - never fire a shot until renewal, much less change out their ammo or clean their weapons on a regular basis.

And, if you decide to get a CCW/P... have in-home practical drills/exercises as to who's going to do what, when and where... I'm talking about teamwork and communication. If you're on one side other house and she's on the other side, how do you each know what the other will do? (i.e., CQB Training).

As an addition to gun training, may I also suggest a class on knife-fighting. Everyone leaps to gun training only, when in certain situations a knife can be much more effective... Gun + Knife training.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

12 gauge pump action shotgun with an 18" barrel and regular stock.

Maybe a Mossberg 590 with the 8-round magazine.

IMPORTANT Note: Check the local laws before
following anyones advice here.

In Florida, shotgun barrels must be 20" to be legal.
I believe that pistol grips (no stock) may be illegal also.

Call the local PD and explain the situation.
Ask for some extra patrols.

Don't buy a gun unless you understand the consequences
of pointing it. You don't have to go lethal. A couple of rounds
in the leg will slow him down and hold him for the local PD.

Online, people can talk pretty casually about things, but
at 2am in your living room, it is real and different.
It's not a video game and you know it.