Brains

Kimber vs. sig 1911

I am in the market for another handgun. I currently own/carry a sig 239 in .40. I am interested in a kimber compact carry, a sig 1911, sig 226 x-5, or something similar. I am wanting to limit the total number of calibers i have to stock so i would like to stay with .40 and 9mm if possible. What do you think and why??

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I would stick with the Sig pistols ( not the 1911 GSR). I have a coupla P220s, I want own any other type of auto-loader. The 1911's are too busy, plus unless you buy a $1500 + model, you have to pay a gunsmith $500-1000 to get it to shoot right. Also you have to carry it "Locked and Cocked" to be at the ready. One more thing, if you get a round that won't fire you have to cycle the slide. They are SAO afterall. With a Sig you just pull the trigger again.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

With a Sig you just pull the trigger again.

So you're saying with a semi-auto weapon when presented with a malfunction you would, instead of using tap, rack, bang, simply pull the trigger again assuming its a weak primer strike?

Sorry man, but that doesn't make much sense. It does with a revolver, but not with a semi-auto.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

With a Sig you just pull the trigger again.

So you're saying with a semi-auto weapon when presented with a malfunction you would, instead of using tap, rack, bang, simply pull the trigger again assuming its a weak primer strike?

Sorry man, but that doesn't make much sense. It does with a revolver, but not with a semi-auto.

At least, I have that option. As a cop, you should know, while you're "Tap, Rack, and Banging" the other guy has gotten off 3-4 rounds. I knew if I posted that, some 1911 freak would bring up "Tap, Rack, Bang"". Which works well on the training range, but seldom in real life. And yes, using cheaper Winchester white box ammo, I've had rounds that either didn't seat properly or had weak primers, that went off on the second trigger pull.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Your reasoning doesn't make any sense. You use cover and concealment to shoot from and you use the same while running a malfunction.

Do me a favor and find any respected combat tactics instructor and see what they say.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sorry, can't speak to the sigs although every cop I've known who carries a sig swears by it. As for the kimbers, I've owned an Ultra Carry II stainless .45 and it was the best damned pistol I've ever owned. I've got largish hands and although it was good for concealed carry it did not feel too diminutive in my hands. capacity was 7+1. most accurate damned pistol I ever shot right out of the box. polishing and porting only improved it that much more. biggest regret of my life is selling that damned gun. good looking too.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

A buddy I used to shoot IDPA with bought a Sig GSR and to be quite honest, it was a p.o.s. It jammed constantly.

I also played with one the other day when I was out gun shopping and man, the trigger on that thing was horrible. It's completely unlike any Sig I've ever owned or test fired. I usually love Sigs, but the GSR just doesn't feel right at all imho.

If you're going for a compact 1911, I'd go either Kimber or Springfield Armory...just my 2 cents

Action©Sports

And yes, using cheaper Winchester white box ammo, I've had rounds that either didn't seat properly or had weak primers, that went off on the second trigger pull.

That really only works with light primer strikes. Failing to seat still requires you to move the slide forward.

If you are in a life a death situation....Are you going to just keep the trigger and hope that something happens? Much better to perform emergency procedures just like you would with a parachute malfunction.

A skydive is a bad place to perform in air rigging and a fire fight is a bad place to do armory work.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have a SIG 239...The only drawback I can think of is the 7 round mags. But really...I have lived 36 years without ever needing a gun in America. If I end up needing a gun...I have already screwed up once. If I need more than 8 rounds, I have screwed up again.

Kimbers are great weapons. The Kimber Pro II is very nice. *I* however do not like the idea of carry with a 1911 style weapon. *I* do not like weapons that have a safety that must be released before the weapon is brought online. There are cases of people being found dead holding a weapons with the weapons safety still on and not one shot fired.

I like DA pistols since in the "fog" of a combat situation the easier the weapon is to use, the less chance of screwing it up.

Honestly, Glocks are hard to beat. My 19 holds 15 rounds and my 23 holds 14. I train with the 19 since 9mm is cheap and I reload.

*I* also do not like compacts since being so small they can be difficult to control on repeat shots.

But as long as they fit well in your hand...It is the right size for you.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am in the market for another handgun. I currently own/carry a sig 239 in .40. I am interested in a kimber compact carry, a sig 1911, sig 226 x-5, or something similar. I am wanting to limit the total number of calibers i have to stock so i would like to stay with .40 and 9mm if possible. What do you think and why??

The 1911 is a nice 100 year old design of which everyone should own at least one example, but would not be my first choice for any sort of gun games and social situations where reliability is important.

If you're not going to get combat Tuperware how about an HK P7M8 in 9mm? Good size, nice trigger, high cool factor.

And yes, using cheaper Winchester white box ammo, I've had rounds that either didn't seat properly or had weak primers, that went off on the second trigger pull.

So you are planning on using discount ammo when your life depends on it?
Some of my handloads get some bullet lube gunged up around the case mouth (after I've loaded a bunch without cleaning out the seat die). They occasionally fail to seat properly. I don't cull them out because they are good for malfunction drills.
OTOH, the ONLY rounds in my mags when my life may depend on it are Winchester XTPs. I have spent quite a bit of money making sure they function properly (Kimber compact 45).

Sig vs 1911 is kind of a "boxers vs briefs" IMHO.
What YOU are most comfortable with, have trained with, have control familiarity with, ect.
If you already have a Sig, you may want to stick with it. Cross training with pistols takes a lot of effort.
I prefer my Kimber, and I have practiced enough that cocked and locked is not a problem. Taking the safety off as the weapon comes up has become second nature. Where I have trouble is with my S&W J-frame. Doing revolver drills is so different from the semi-auto stuff that I'm not sure how well I'd do under real-life stress.

Others prefer DAO. The heavier, longer trigger pull becomes "normal" to them, and they do just fine with it.

Kimber and Sig both cost a good amount, and have good reputations. I think that correlates.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you're not going to get combat Tuperware how about an HK P7M8 in 9mm? Good size, nice trigger, high cool factor.

Yes, though the price only looks good against a 1911. It's also a bit heavy, and only takes 8 rounds. But it's definitely the most accurate for me of the 9s I have, and the safety approach is a good one for carry. If CA ever allowed CCW (ie, if hell froze over), it would be the one I would use.

Yes, I do immediately pull the trigger again if I have a misfire. So far (knock on wood) the round has fired on the second trigger pull. I've been a Sig devotee for over 8 years and the only malfunctions I've had were the light primer strikes and rounds not feeding properly from using cheap aftermarket mags. I only use factory mags now. No stovepipes or any other random crap. Sig is what I trust. I've owned most of the other brands when they were at their height of popularity. Bereatta 92 (Taurus copy), Glock 17, etc.. We were still using the M1911 in the Army in the early 80's before the M9's replaced them. And while the 1911 is extremely popular right now, they're just not my cup of tea. To each, his own.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

My problem with most of the really compact carry types are the grips are so freaking short that they do not fit my hand worth a shit and they also sacrifice magazine capacity.

I've heard that a good holster makes all the difference. I like my 13-round cap .45 Kimber, so I don't have to compromise on a lesser caliber.

Anyway, a nice IWB holster like the CrossBreed Supertuck should enable you to carry just about any gun you want--unless you're built like Nicole Richie and wearing a t-shirt dress! :ph34r:
“Keep your elbow up!"