altrisk

Atheists Holy Day

One example of government violating the constitution is all it takes.

Sweet - I take it that you have already written your elected officials about the illegality of the Chicago gun ban, then.

So you concede the point. CoolB|

Not at all. Just because Butters (and evidently you as well) thinks a holiday is "aid" to a religion doesn't make it so.

I don't believe for one second that you actually believe the position you appear to be espousing here.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No skin off my nose, although I *was* wondering how much more ludicrous your 'examples' were going to get.

What is ludicrous is your inability to understand that a Federal holiday pertaining to a particular religion is both an aid and a preference to one religion over another.

So, prove it, then. Prove how giving someone a day off "aids" a religion.

Do you honestly not understand how it aids a particular religion? :S It also clearly shows a preference ...

Nice PA, bub - I don't recall accusing YOU of insanity - of course, I was able to back up my claims, unlike you. It's a bit of a reach, though, since you know nothing about whether I practice any religion at all.

That's because I'm not insane. Also, I've backed up my claims, you haven't. You're right about one thing (and one thing only), I don't know anything about whether you practice any religion at all so ... don't worry about admitting you're wrong because I know you can't because it will destroy your fragile reality.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Do you honestly not understand how it aids a particular religion? :S It also clearly shows a preference ...

And yet, after all this time there's been NO court cases on it - odd, don't you think? Maybe that's because EVERYONE gets those days off, perhaps?

That's because I'm not insane.

Yet you accuse ME of it, based on nothing.

Also, I've backed up my claims, you haven't.

I showed where laws that actually DID infringe on various religions were successfully countered - all you could bring up after that was federal holidays. You still haven't shown how the government not working on a particular set of days is an "aid or preference" to one religion, or a detriment to others.

Don't worry about admitting you're wrong because I know you can't because it will destroy your fragile reality.

AGAIN with the insanity insults? Don't worry about my 'fragile reality', bub - worry about proving your claim. You want me to change my tune - PROVE me wrong.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I didn't state or imply that you're insane and I already proved you wrong. Regardless, I'm finished with this discussion as you are obviously either ignorant or a troll ...

Your opinion does not constitute 'proof', sorry.

"Ignorant"? "Troll"? What *IS* it with you and the insults? Did you do this to your teacher when you didn't get the right answer at the chalkboard, too?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>That seems to be the liberal mindset on THAT issue . . .

Actually, it is simply your mindset. I'm a liberal, and I don't think gun rights should be restricted to the degree you do.

I refer you back to Ms. Feinstein's comments about "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in". It *is* a liberal position, whether it one that you espouse or not as a self-professed liberal.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>I refer you back to Ms. Feinstein's . . .

Perhaps you could start another thread if you'd like to discuss Dianne Feinstein's positions on gun control.

To get back to this thread, there is a clear bias in the US towards Christianity. That's not surprising; after all, most people here are Christians. Nor is there anything wrong with that. If the president wants to say his prayers on TV, or he wants to have friends over for a prayer breakfast, fine.

However, lately that bias has started to insert itself in federal government, and it has no place there. The issue of federal exceptions for prohibition have already been mentioned, as have the requirements that federal employees observe Christian holidays. There is a federally owned and maintained Easter Cross near me, and unless they support and maintain religious symbols of all religions as a policy, that's a violation of the First Amendment.

To get back to this thread, there is a clear bias in the US towards Christianity. That's not surprising; after all, most people here are Christians. Nor is there anything wrong with that. If the president wants to say his prayers on TV, or he wants to have friends over for a prayer breakfast, fine.

I don't disagree, as a generality.

However, lately that bias has started to insert itself in federal government, and it has no place there.

Where? Specific examples of laws, please - I don't see the gov't not working for a day as a 'bias toward a particular religion'.

The issue of federal exceptions for prohibition have already been mentioned,

And rebutted in my posts above in regards to various religions.

as have the requirements that federal employees observe Christian holidays.

See above - what is the gain, here?

There is a federally owned and maintained Easter Cross near me, and unless they support and maintain religious symbols of all religions as a policy, that's a violation of the First Amendment.

THIS, I agree with.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

as have the requirements that federal employees observe Christian holidays.

See above - what is the gain, here?

Would it be OK for federal employees to be required to observe Ramadan instead of Christmas?

If that was made a federal holiday, sure. Are Muslim employees prevented from taking time off for Ramadan? By the logic y'all are using, MLK day is an 'aid or benefit' to the black community.

Again - where's the 'gain' to the RELIGION??? HOW is the RELIGION benefiting from gov't taking the day off work?

Disconnect the 'Christians are BAD' circuitry and give me something tangible, not inferences because gov't doesn't take a day off for ALL holidays for ALL religions.

(Although, that's not a bad idea....there's an AWFUL lot of religous holidays taken in total - keeps Congress from fucking up things any worse)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Mike, the point is that a holiday from religion X isn't a federal holiday but a holiday from Religion Y is a required federal holiday. If you cannot see that as clear favouritism of religion Y over religion X then I suggest that your sense of fairness needs recalibrating.

Mike, the point is that a holiday from religion X isn't a federal holiday but a holiday from Religion Y is a required federal holiday. If you cannot see that as clear favouritism of religion Y over religion X then I suggest that your sense of fairness needs recalibrating.

Favoritism implies an advantage given to one over another - you have yet to prove that Christianity is gaining anything by the government taking a day off. Just because you THINK it is favoritism means nothing - show me PROOF.

FYI - it is not a MANDATORY holiday. I know plenty of businesses that are open on the federal holidays and several Muslim and Jewish people that 'traded off' holidays.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I keep reading that the goverment is requiring people to observe these holidays. This is simply not the case. People are being given a day off from work not being required to do observe any paticular religious practice but simply don't have to go to work that day.
Also, the it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
Therefore having the ten commandments in front of a court house or a easter cross in a goverment building is not against the constitution. Why? Because it says "congress shall make no law" and there is no law involved in such things. There is no law in regards to federal holidays. Federal holidays simply means if you work for the goverment you don't have to work on these days and guess what...... if you don't work for the goverment you can still work on these days (I have had to in the past). Even having a prayer at the opening of each congressional meeting does not fall under this ammendment as there is no law saying it has to be done or that each person must be involved in it. As long as there is no law requiring people to do things there is no breach of the first ammendment. Prayers in schools doesn't breach the ammendment as long as there is no law requiring everyone to participate. The reality is no one want to follow what the first ammendment actually says. They want to extend it far beyond its bounds to include "seperation of church and state" which is a phrase from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson which basically said that he wanted that phrase included. However, we find from other writtings that it was included as they felt and knew that if such a phrase were included it would ultimately lead to the restriction of religion which is actually where we are moving today.

>Where? Specific examples of laws, please

HR 5683 - Federal control of the Mt. Soledad Easter Cross

>> as have the requirements that federal employees observe Christian holidays.

>See above - what is the gain, here?

Gain? I never mentioned a "gain." There is federally mandated observance of the holy days of a specific religion; other religions do not enjoy that legal recognition.

I take it, then, that you'd have no problem if Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha were made federal holidays, since that would give no "gain" to Islam.

Why should I care what days gov't doesn't work?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I take it, then, that you'd have no problem if Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha were made federal holidays, since that would give no "gain" to Islam.

The gov't isn't the only one who doesn't work the federal holidays. Does you or anybody in your family get Christmas off from work? What if you no longer did, but got one of the Islam holidays off instead?

Then should you care?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The gov't isn't the only one who doesn't work the federal holidays. Does you or anybody in your family get Christmas off from work? What if you no longer did, but got one of the Islam holidays off instead?

Then should you care?

Nope, wouldn't care. It's up to the individual businesses to decide what days they give their workers for holidays, if at all.

ETA: The last few contracts I've worked on, the operators and admin folks got both the Christmas holidays and the Ramadan holidays off.

Side note: I find it quite funny that those who are so vehemently in support of 'the majority rules' in regards to voting are so vehemently against 'the majority rules' in regards to days off work.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Side note: I find it quite funny that those who are so vehemently in support of 'the majority rules' in regards to voting are so vehemently against 'the majority rules' in regards to days off work.

Another non-sequitur from mnealtx. Well done.

Another non-sequitur from mnealtx. Well done.

No worries, mate - given your posting history, I didn't expect you to see the connection between the two patterns.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706